What made you choose dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dinesh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
dinesh said:
Let this not turn into a 'why dentistry is better/harder than medicine or vice versa" but why did you guys choose dentistry?
Money?Lifestyle?Just got a tooth fetish?

lifestyle

dinesh said:
Let this not turn into a 'why dentistry is better/harder than medicine or vice versa" but why did you guys choose dentistry?
Money?Lifestyle?Just got a tooth fetish?
this is a very common question. Try doing a search to see what other's have posted on previous threads.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah...2 in the morning, and addicted to this site, I couldn't help but not reply. I think what sucked me into dentistry had to be the idea of personally being able to determine my lifestyle, and also recieve an incredible amount of patient interaction. I've shadowed a bunch of places, and I must say, my experiences with the dentists I have worked with have all been quite a motivation to enter the field. Contrary to what the public sometimes believes, these dentists are truly happy doing their work. I'd like to be like that too. The money is of course a benefit, but certainly falls short of being the reason I am pursuing dentistry. I also am a pretty detailed oriented person, something I think is needed in dentistry. All in all, the interaction with people and medical aspect caught my eye initially.

EyeAmCommi said:
Can you/should you say this during an interview?

you can totally use lifestyle as a motivating reason for pursuing a career in dentistry. afterall, that is one of your main consideration, but it's all in the delivery.

if you're asked why dentistry and not medicine...

don't say: it's an easier job than medicine but i'll be making the same/more money. cha-ching!

do say: i'm a very family oriented person and it's important to me to have a balanced professional and personal life. i feel working in dentistry will allow me to live a more balanced lifestyle than medicine.

bouncy_ball said:
you can totally use lifestyle as a motivating reason for pursuing a career in dentistry. afterall, that is one of your main consideration, but it's all in the delivery.

if you're asked why dentistry and not medicine...

don't say: it's an easier job than medicine but i'll be making the same/more money. cha-ching!

do say: i'm a very family oriented person and it's important to me to have a balanced professional and personal life. i feel working in dentistry will allow me to live a more balanced lifestyle than medicine.

On a related note, I'm writing my personal statement, and basically say I find the most reward in helping people/like the sciences and this led me in the pre-health direction, than I quickly say medicine is admirable but I'd prefer to be able to have a family/career and not just a career. Is that a cheap shot? Should I not mention medicine? Basically for me I have a hard time giving a reason that dental is so much better than medical without the whole lifestyle thing, does this make you sound like an unmotivated slacker? I know I want to do dental but can you really have a strong passion for teeth, that is to say, as a premed you can say I really want to save lives, etc. and youre not even BSing. In other words I feel I strongly prefer dentistry to medicine, i.e. I find it interesting, I'm more comfortable dealing w/ the mouth vs. the rest of the body, and I really feel the autonomy is far superior to that of a MD. However, I struggle to find a noncheesy way to explain how I want to be a dentist, or a way that doesn't compare it to medicine (my mom is an MD-so I know I dont want the residency, the hours-she spends the weekend catching up on sleep, dealing w/ death all the time, etc.) What are some positives for dental rather than the lack of negatives (abundant negatives in Med)?

aphistis said:
How flattering!

I love your signature...

I think the two of us should form an SDN Vigilante Taskforce...

Our motto could be:

"Stopping the spread of stupidity, one thread at a time."