What made you interested in medicine and its specialties?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OtisO

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is just a thread for my own and others' interests. I have wanted to become a plastic surgeon because of developed gynecomastia. I know what that feels like and I wanted to change my appearance really bad when I was a teenager (since then have realized I will be ok). I feel happy to help others and the procedures in plastics look amazing to me as well. However, my cat just passed away today from kidney disease he most likely had since birth. He was seven and has been treated by my family since he was three. I kind of want to know more and help those who develop kidney problems because it was not fair for my precious cat to get it so young. I was curious why you guys chose medicine/specific specialties. I feel as if our life experiences sometimes mold this, or to some, a certain specialty may just seem interesting.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Growing up with a family member with schizophrenia and seeing the lack of mental health providers in rural communities. Got me interested in psychiatry

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I was raised around medicine. My mom has always worked in hospital or doctors office admin. My dad is a former paramedic, my uncle is a nurse. But I really didn’t consider medicine until I got with my wife. Her family is all physicians (except for her uncle who is pharm). Being around them, talking to them... I was like “hey I could do that”

Members don't see this ad :)
Did an OR tech program after dropping out of art school because I had nothing else to do, and fell in love with it. I have been interested in science since I was a child, but I didn't discover an interest in medicine until then. My interests in medical specialties expanded after that as I gained more exposure to them.

I've worked in almost all aspects of women's health, so naturally I'm gravitating towards OBGYN.

I love all the diver$ity in medicine, the job $ecurity, and taking care of vulnerable patient$ in their time of need.

$ound$ like you aren't doing it for the money!

Reactions: 2 users
I am waiting for the first honest person to come and say "I love $$$$."

Chicks, money, power, and chicks

Not necessarily in that order

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, that is a benefit of the occupation but it's not what drives me. I couldn't do something I am not passionate about or am interested in. Choosing a specialty could be influenced by that though ;)

I am really sorry to hear about your cat, @MisterTO. It sounds like you and your family gave him the best life he could have had. :( *Hugs*

I got interested in medicine after the illness of a family member of mine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Just because someone doesn't say they are motivated by money doesn't mean they aren't being honest. Not everyone is primarily motivated by money. That said, I don't begrudge someone who is.

Chicks, money, power, and chicks

Not necessarily in that order

I am a little disappointed in SDN that it took us to get to the ninth post for this reference. For shame! Lol.

I need to rewatch Scrubs. :)

Reactions: 2 users
I am really sorry to hear about your cat, @MisterTO. It sounds like you and your family gave him the best life he could have had. :( *Hugs*

I got interested in medicine after the illness of a family member of mine.

Thanks for the sympathy. Yes, Neepurt received good care. But I'm sure he is feeling much better now :) Great username by the way. I am a biochemistry major (chem minor). I love chemistry but a chemistry major was kind of overkill considering my future plans. Biochem is a nice mix of both with lots of chemistry to satisfy myself lmao. What was/is your UG major?

Thanks for the sympathy. Yes, Neepurt received good care. But I'm sure he is feeling much better now :) Great username by the way. I am a biochemistry major (chem minor). I love chemistry but a chemistry major was kind of overkill considering my future plans. Biochem is a nice mix of both with lots of chemistry to satisfy myself lmao. What was/is your UG major?

Thank you. My undergrad major is Biology actually. It was going to be Chemistry when I made the account. Then the reality of having to take P-Chem kind of set in and I switched into Biology. Still love Chem though. :)

Thank you. My undergrad major is Biology actually. It was going to be Chemistry when I made the account. Then the reality of having to take P-Chem kind of set in and I switched into Biology. Still love Chem though. :)

Yeah, I went and talked to my old Chem Professor. She was trying to make me a chemistry major. But It requires Calc 1-3 (Biochem is just Calc 1), Requires P-Chem 1 & 2 and both labs vs just 1 and lab. higher level physics (vs basic physics which isn't a big deal to me) and replaces some bio courses with Advanced Inorganic Chem and Chemical Literature. I was like, NOPE... Don't want a job in research... Plus I like applying the chemistry to biology, it is pretty cool and will prepare me for the MCAT. My Profile pic shows what I think about chem lmao.

Started on research and was interested in PhD, but was working under a MD/PhD. Went to multiple summer research programs and ended up with MD/PhD mentors. Went to get clinical experiences and ended up with a MD/PhD physician. At that point, I just accepted the signs and went with it. Or by that time, I’ve already been brainwashed into thinking the additional 7-8 years of research training on top of medicine will all be worth it.

Last edited: