What made you pick Psy.D. or Ph.D.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ekm0924

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering what made some of you choose Psyd over PhD or vice versa. I know I don't want to go into a research heavy PhD program, but I'm having sort of a hard time making a choice between a more clinically-inclined PhD program and a Psyd program. For those of you who were in a similar situation, what issues/factors made you pick one over the other?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds silly now that I am almost done, but I chose PhD because after the Army, I want to teach. "They" said a PhD would be better for that.

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering what made some of you choose Psyd over PhD or vice versa. I know I don't want to go into a research heavy PhD program, but I'm having sort of a hard time making a choice between a more clinically-inclined PhD program and a Psyd program. For those of you who were in a similar situation, what issues/factors made you pick one over the other?

Thanks!

I'm an elitist bastard and couldn't face the world with a Psy.D. or a degree from an online institution. ;)

Seriously, I wanted a Ph.D. for the flexibility it offers. I wanted a real balance between research, teaching, and clinical practice with a slight emphasis on clinical skills. I didn't want to be restricted in my ability to move throughout the field once I retired from the military... although it's likely that a career in academia post-service might be unlikely except possibly at a service academy.

There were a number of Psy.D. programs that I seriously considered. Baylor for instance has a very interesting program that I feel offers an interesting mix of clinical skills with a fair emphasis on research. While the research there is of a different nature than research in a Ph.D. program, I liked the applied nature of it.

There are some very good clinically oriented Ph.D. programs out there. I feel like I did find a number of programs that were good fits for me.

Mark

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think its fair to put a PsyD in the same category as an online degree.

I don't think its fair to put a PsyD in the same category as an online degree.

I was trying to be funny!!!

I don't think of them as the same... not to go off track but there are good and bad Ph.D. and Psy.D. programs. For the record, one of my top choices was a Psy.D. (Baylor)

Mark

I was trying to be funny!!!

I don't think of them as the same... not to go off track but there are good and bad Ph.D. and Psy.D. programs. For the record, one of my top choices was a Psy.D. (Baylor)

Mark

Uh oh. The PsyD fight has begun. Again.

Bah, there are good and bad PhD programs and PsyD programs. Take a look at what you want to do, and what you're willing to do (and pay) to get there, and make an informed decision. Some people (e.g. me) have issues with some things related to the field of psychology, but it would be foolish to begrudge any one person's informed decision when multiple options are available.

2 things made my decision easy. First, I love research and want to conduct research. So, a point for PhD with an emphasis on very strong research programs. Second, I'm totally unwilling and, really, totally unable to pay for graduate school. So, anything unfunded is out, which is most PsyD programs.

My more interesting decision was between counseling and clinical psych. My research interests cross the counseling-clinical divide pretty well, and I had applied to about an even number of each type of program. However, two counseling programs composed my top tier of schools, because of the POI and because of the particular emphasis of one program.

Pretty much what JN said. For me it boiled down to there not really being any PsyD that could provide even adequate training for what I want to do (maybe Rutgers? Even that probably not). I'm research-focused enough I was debating applying to non-clinical programs though, so that isn't surprising.

If I was more clinically-oriented I still probably would have stuck primarily to PhDs just because they almost all provide funding and there's only a few PsyDs that do and I'd much rather get paid to go to school than pay to go to school, but that's because of my financial situation.

I considered both Ph.D. and Psy.D programs, and I made my decisions based on a balanced experience and access to certain niche areas that not all programs offered.

For me it came down to fit. Some people get stuck on location, others on name....but in the end if you aren't comfortable, it will be a MISERABLE 4-5 years.

-t

Thanks for all the great responses.

The money thing might prove to be a big issue for me too -- so maybe a PhD is in my future. I definitely want to be a practitioner once I get my degree, so if I do PhD I will look for clinical-leaning programs. No matter what I do I need to take some undergrad level coursework. Would I need to take different classes based on whether I want to get a PhD or a Psyd? I know I should take an experimental psych course no matter what. Are there any other recommendations anyone has?

Thanks for all the great responses.

The money thing might prove to be a big issue for me too -- so maybe a PhD is in my future. I definitely want to be a practitioner once I get my degree, so if I do PhD I will look for clinical-leaning programs. No matter what I do I need to take some undergrad level coursework. Would I need to take different classes based on whether I want to get a PhD or a Psyd? I know I should take an experimental psych course no matter what. Are there any other recommendations anyone has?

If you plan to do the Ph.D. route the primary concern you have is making sure you have the right blocks checked.

- Undergraduate Thesis
- Research Experience
- Clinical Experience
- High Overall and Psychology GPA
- Solid GRE Scores
- Research Interests well defined.

Mark

No, not trying to start a fight. Just wasn't sure if a PsyD was really that lowly regarded. I'm applying to both kinds of programs.

It isn't, typically. There has just been some lively discussions about the training models, various programs, and change in the field. If you do a search you'll see a dozen different threads over the last couple of years about it.

-t

No, not trying to start a fight. Just wasn't sure if a PsyD was really that lowly regarded. I'm applying to both kinds of programs.

The more you learn about Psy.D's the more you can appreciate what they do. They don't have the same skill set as Ph.D.'s but they excel in certain areas where Ph.D's are often weaker. Expecting a Ph.D. to be as strong at assessment as a Psy.D. might not be realistic if the Ph.D. wasn't focused on assessment, but asking the Psy.D. to be as strong as the Ph.D. wouldn't be realistic either... exceptions exist on both sides.

Mark

I chose a PhD because of funding. I couldn't conceive of how much money some PsyD programs cost with loans alone. If you search the forum's archives on this topic, you will read a lot of good stuff on the debate. It helped me make my decision.

I'm in a program that is scholar-practioner based. It is important to understand the model of the programs to which you are applying. My program trains you as a thoughtful consumer of research, so that you may go on in careers that involve research or if you choose the practioner path only, then you will always be skilled in assessing valuable research. I'm sure PsyD programs offer this type of knowledge base as well. However, I thought a PhD opened more doors for me to keep my foot in because I want to have a connection with academia with a primary focus on clinical practice.

It's a tough decision for me that boiled down to funding and some other conventional reasons. I was personally affected by having to explain what a PsyD was to so many people, so it made me second guess whether I wanted to spend my life's career doing it (not a strong arguement, but it exposed my personal reverence). Also, look at the program: I would've taken the energy to explain a PsyD from Rutgers and proudly honor their degree, just as I will honor the PhD from my program.;)

But, really check out the archives, there are some PsyD students on this site that have strong convictions for choosing their paths. I feel that you can't go wrong with a PhD that has balanced clincal-research emphases, if what you want to do is practice.

Good luck. :luck:

I chose a PhD because of funding. I couldn't conceive of how much money some PsyD programs cost with loans alone. If you search the forum's archives on this topic, you will read a lot of good stuff on the debate. It helped me make my decision.

I'm in a program that is scholar-practioner based.

Hey, I was just wondering what program you're in if you don't mind sharing? I was looking for PhD programs that are more practioner based but didn't really find any. Well actually, I found a few but they weren't funded.

Hey, I was just wondering what program you're in if you don't mind sharing? I was looking for PhD programs that are more practioner based but didn't really find any. Well actually, I found a few but they weren't funded.

There are a large number that I think fit the mold. I was on the fence between a number of really good programs and my aim was to get into a program that really did provide solid practitioner skills.

Among my favorites:

Texas A&M's counseling Ph.D. program
Alabama's Clinical Psych Ph.D. program
Baylor's Psy.D. program

Those are not in any particular order. I thought all of them had great opportunities for practice. Alabama was the most research focused of that group but seemed really pretty neat overall, probably because I really liked the faculty there. Baylor is not a Ph.D. program but I see it as a best of both worlds... the funding and small size of a Ph.D. program with the clinical focus of a Psy.D. program.

I am happy where I am at though, it is far more clinically oriented than I thought it would be. I left it off the above list because it's probably a program most people would not consider.

Mark

For sake of being anonymous on this forum, here are my favorites (all Clinical Psych PhD) that should offer some kind of funding:

University of Virginia - Curry School of Education
St. John's University
Long Island University - Brooklyn campus (LIU - CW Post has a PsyD)
Fordham University
Hofstra University
Virginia Commonwealth University (although, I think they may have a solid research focus...but, VCU-MCV is a great combo that I'm sure is beneficial to clinical training)

Check out the websites and the APA book on Clinical/Counseling Psych programs.