What made you want Emergency Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jofrbr76

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When did you first know that EM was for you?
I'm way interested from the volunteering i did at a local hospital and the general chaotic feeling i got. I feel like i deal well with stress and people; and the lifestyle seems to be favorable. Thoughts on that?

I'll be starting medschool in august and was curious if many of you EM residents knew before hand that EM would do it for you. Also, any advice you can pass on to a soon to be apprentice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

Members don't see this ad.

Every person will have a different reason of why they like EM... for me, I just... KNEW it was what I wanted to do. I've loved all my other rotations, but love EM more... and I can't see myself doing anything else besides EM...

As for advice for you, do well in medical school, relax when you can, drink some beer, go to bars, follow your non-medical interests, and do well your 3rd year (which is quite a ways for you).

Q

i never was interested in em while in med school. i originally matched for radiology.
after internship and in my first year of radiology i decided to change...still no interest in em since i had no exposure during med school.
being in the army and unable to choose where to go and not to do anything, they threw me in an ed. i've been there 3 1/2 years and have decided that that is what i want to do.

Hey Joe

I've worked in the emergency med field before med school (EMT etc) and knew my entire time before and during (including currently at my third year) that I would go into EM. I found it inspiring for my first 2 years to find the different aspects of each class that I needed to know to be a great EM doc, trust me, they are there. From anatomy and biochemistry, to stats, pharm etc. It was great because I rarely felt like (what use is this going to do me in EM).

Now, future surgeons often feel like that during pathophys/medicine courses where they are coming up with a differential for a disease - they just want to cut. No ill will meant toward surgeons there, but you see my point. Like Quinn said, when it fits, it fits and you know it.