1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

What made you want to be a dentist

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Lindbergjb, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Lindbergjb

Pre-Dental
    s

#1 Lindbergjb, Apr 9, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mymouthsmells

mymouthsmells Old Member

Pre-Dental
    excellent! you're well on your way in wanting to become a dentist. money, power, fame, respect...all vital ingredients in wanting to become a dentist.

4. armorshell

armorshell One Man Freak Show
    Physician Dentist Moderator Emeritus

Non-Student
    Well, when I was younger I was a bad little kid and my mama noticed funny things I did. Like shootin' puppies with a B.B. gun, and I'd poison guppies, and when I was done I'd find a pussycat and bash in its head.

That was when my mama said "My boy, I think someday you'll find a way to make your natural tendencies pay!"

5. armorshell

Non-Student
    She said:
    You'll be a dentist
    You have a talent for causin' things pain
    Son, be a dentist
    People will pay you to be inhumane
    Your temperament's wrong for the priesthood
    And teaching would suit you still less
    Son, be a dentist
    You'll be a success

Here he is, folks the leader of the plaque!
    Watch him suck up that gas!
    Oh, my god!
    He's a dentist and he'll never ever be any good
    Who wants their teeth done by the Marquis de Sade?

Oh that hurts! I'm not numb!

Oh, shut up. Open wide. here I come!
    I am your dentist

Goodness gracious!

And I enjoy the career that I picked

Really love it

I am your dentist

Fitting braces

And I get off on the pain I inflict

Really love it

I thrill when I drill a bicuspid

Bicuspid

It's swell though they tell me I'm maladjusted
    And though it may cause my patients distress,
    Somewhere, somewhere in heaven above me
    I know, I know, that my mama's proud of me
    Oh, mama
    'Cause I'm a dentist and a success
    Say ah!

Ah!

Say ah!

Ah!

Say ah!

Ah!

Now spit!

6. Lindbergjb

Pre-Dental

#5 Lindbergjb, Apr 9, 2007
  7. armorshell

Non-Student
    Go for it, just make sure you get all you pre-reqs and a few extra upper level sciences. A 4.0 probably won't hurt either.

8. PChemGrad

PChemGrad I am a banana.

Attending Physician
    I got my wisdom teeth pulled, and I realized someone does this to people, they put them in pain only to make money and make them feel better.
    Sweet! I knew I found the job I wanted.

9. jackbauer!

jackbauer! Guest

Dental Student
    i realize you are only in high school, but you need a serious reality check :eek:

it is far far FAR easier to get into dental school than it is to become a mutual fund manager pullin down $400k cash money.

you need to set a goal: dentist or fund manager? once you decide, do everything in your power to make it happen. browse SDN religiously to find out how to build a perfect dental application. i don't know much about becoming a fund manager, with the exception that your chances are slim to none unless you go to a top business school (i.e. penn, harvard, texas..).

both are extremely competitive careers, albeit the latter is 10x more competitive. remember, if making 6 figures were that easy EVERYONE would do it.

best of luck, jb!:)

10. BioABC

BioABC Fibula Jaw

Pre-Dental
    I'm still in high school as well(senior). I too aspire to be an oral surgeon based on personal experiences, but you need to realize that there is more to dentistry than just the money. You can serously damage someone because of lack of caring about your patients; I have been dental phobic since the age of 4 because a pediatric dentist traumatized me. Also, what happens when you dont get into a residency? Would you still want to be a dentist? You really need to ask yourself these questions before you pursue this career path.

11. DAT_MAN

:scared:
    Do whatever your heart desires. If you want to become a dentist because you think you will make a lot of money, who cares! But you better love what you are doing or you won't be a good dentist and have a big patient base. If you love what you are doing, you will become successful and the money will roll in. Don't pay attention to the people on these threads who tell you to choose another career. They have weak applications and they are trying to cut down on competition.

12. armorshell

Non-Student
    Yeah, I'm sure they're really worried about competition four years down the road :rolleyes:

13. dmd2011

dmd2011 Random Hero

Dental Student
    yea and like its been said before there is only a small number of applicants on SDN anyways.

14. Fuji

This thread made me realize something: when you are in 11th grade, if you truly do go on to become an oral surgeon then you've got 15 years of school ahead of you. That's 3 more years of school than you've already completed (including kindergarten). Wow.

Carry on.

15. lnsip9reg

don't be daunted by the time. say you don't become a dentist, what will you be in 15yrs time? you'll still be 15yrs older :rolleyes:

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. PennPB

Dental Student
    realizing that I am an atypical, economics slanted target worker.

18. dentalman

dentalman Senior Member

Be whatever major you would enjoy most (it sounds like business). The business major WILL help you when you run an office, and in investments. YOUR MAJOR DOES NOT MATTER, as long as you take all of your prereqs and you do well in them.

If you have the mindset for investing, you can make a lot of money in it. That is a big if, though. But you may not know until you try. I think business school is the faster track to making money. Your job just isn't as secure, since there are so many businesses. But the advantage is you have 4 years of income and chances for promotion or starting your own business.

19. shamrock2006

Dental Student
    Agreed. Starting up a successful business is hard..no matter what "type" of business it is. It's probably harder to make it "big" in business though...mainly b/c people w/ MBA's and other graduate business degrees are like...everywhere these days.

20. Lindbergjb

Pre-Dental

#18 Lindbergjb, Apr 10, 2007
  21. Drill2Fill

Drill2Fill DentalStudentWannabe

Pre-Dental
    huh? :lol: :bow:

22. dravid

oh to be young and in shorts

23. reapply2007

reapply2007 Senior Member

Dental Student
    When I finally sobered up in a Thai prison, I decided that I would need to find some way to get cheap dental work done.

24. john9192

Dental Student
    Oh it's good that you have confidence, but don't have the confidence too much. High school was like nothing compared to college. I studied not that much and still became valedictorian of my HS. There are valedictorians everywhere in college. Don't expect to have 4.125 GPA in college..lol
    I'm sure undergrad would be nothing compared to d-school,
    Just a word of advice. Good luck

25. DailyDrivenTJ

Pre-Dental
    I will take you seriously and give you my honest answer.

Clearly money is the Major issue for you, then go make easy money as I can see you are so confident in doing well in business school and end up making 400K a year. Are you as confident doing well in dental school? Why bother doing 12 years of school if you can make just as much money after 4 years?

One thing I can tell you though, I had higher GPA coming out of highschool than you. I graduated from Georgia Tech. It was very humbling experience. Students are either smart as me or smarter than me, only 1 students out of 3 graduate in 4 years. You are on the Dean's list if you make 3.0 or above, not many make it. Talking about grade deflation which works highly against amongst other applicants.

I think you got a ton to learn ahead of you.

26. Lindbergjb

Pre-Dental

#24 Lindbergjb, Apr 11, 2007
  27. albodent

albodent Member

Dental Student
    well it is the best of all worlds.......Ill be a doctor, an architect, mechanic and happy!

28. pmantz

pmantz Member

Dental Student
    I so wanted to make a joke about little shop of horrors during my interview.

Really why I wanted to be a dentist is for the babes. Hygenist are way hotter then nurses.

Actualy its just for the money. Money is everything right?

29. 1992Corolla

1992Corolla CheerioKing

Resident [Any Field]
    I wish i had drive when I was 17. I wish I had drive today...

Good luck Lind! Check out DMDstudent.com (yes shameless promotion)

30. tbone91

tbone91 Junior Member

Pre-Dental
    For a kid with a 4.125 you sure struggle spelling words correctly--and I am not just talking about mistyping...I mean obvious mis-spellings. Better work on that.

31. Fuji

Being a dentist is not genetic.

Give this one another year or two, then tell me if it's the people who take time out to have fun that complain, or if it's the ones who never leave the library/their room/the lab.

You've made it pretty clear that money is your motivation. Stick to the business world because there are more MBA's pulling in $1M than dentists.

32. armorshell

Non-Student
    OMG someone spelled something wrong on the intarweb!!!!11

QUICK CALL THE AOL POLICE!!!

33. drpduck

drpduck Senior Member

Dental Student
    It's great the OP has a goal in mind of becoming a dentist, but honestly you can't understand how college is until you have actually experienced it. Sure you can say you'll study all the time and not party, never go out, hang out with friends etc., but honestly half of college is the social aspect. I learned a lot about myself, had some great experiences, and worked hard in college, its all about managing your time- a skill which will no doubt help you in dental school.

I have several friends in med/dental school that went to undergrad with me, and they had great social lives, parties, etc., but also studied their butts off when needed! If you sit in the library for 4 years, you'll wake up on graduation day 4 years older with a good GPA and not much else.

The best advice I have from all my pre-dental schooling, is learn to manage your time. You will need to study a whole lot, but you also will need stress relief, time for friends, or you will go crazy.

34. djeffreyt

djeffreyt Senior Member

Dentist
    I just called the AOL police on Armorshell.

I decided on dentistry cause I enjoy working with my hands (was a part time potter for 10 years) but I also wanted a profession that would challenge me in other ways than manual manipulation. The best part about dentistry is that dentistry isn't just about health and teeth....it's mostly about being a good business person and having the technical and scientific knowledge to pull off the manual labor parts of the job as well. I enjoy the small business aspect and being in charge of my own life, job and business in all aspects.

The fact that I won't be poor is secondary, but I wouldn't go into dentistry if I was sure I'd be making less than $70,000 net in a year. That is pretty much top tier pay at the last job I had which I left to pursue dentistry (high school teaching...and only after 25+ years and obtaining a master degree). I still plan to do reduced fees for particular sects of the community and to work in community clinics as a volunteer doing free or reduced cost work. I figure I'll be able to make plenty of money while doing community work and having a good time with my family on top of that...so that's why I decided dentistry.

35. prplmnkydshwshr

Banned

36. Drill2Fill

Pre-Dental
    the almighty dollar.

37. Lindbergjb

Pre-Dental

#35 Lindbergjb, Apr 14, 2007
  38. jackbauer!

jackbauer! Guest

Dental Student
    i think money is more of a determining factor for choosing a profession than most will admit (& this is especially true on SDN)... but to just say, "Is it really that bad if the main reason im going into dentistry is because of the money?" is NOT a reason for choosing a to be a dentist. to be a dentist you must have a curiousity for science and helping people. if you don't have that, then DO NOT go into dentistry. you will be miserable & to be a VERY SUCCESSFUL dentist you have to love what you do & be good to your patients.

i think getting the business degree is a great idea. i kinda wish i would have done that. try to knock out all your pre-reqs your first 2 years and then take an upper level bio course every semester or so to stay current. who knows? you may decide you hate science all together and that you love business or vice-versa.

it's great your being honest... but you're really young and naive. you'd be suprised how quickly you change your mind about what profession you want to enter. i'd venture to say that most of the people on this board first wanted to do something else .. like med, business, engineering, etc. but something at one point or another made them decide dentistry.

best of luck to you..keep working hard and you'll be successful regardless of what you do! jb!:)

39. pmantz

pmantz Member

Dental Student
    Please when you are interviewing, and when your asked why you want to be a dentist. Please please, respond in the exact same way. I would like to be there for that one.

One of the reasons why I want to go into dentistry is because, I believe it will challenge, me intelectualy and phyiscaly(dexterity). No I won't be hefting around any shrubs. Any idiot with a IQ above 75 can use a shovel, but using high speed drills, in an oral cavity. Oh thats easy.

40. Lindbergjb

Pre-Dental

#38 Lindbergjb, Apr 14, 2007
  41. Meatwad

Meatwad Reformed

Post Doc
    It's nice that you think so highly of yourself.

42. Lindbergjb

Pre-Dental
    confidence is the key to success.

43. Meatwad

Meatwad Reformed

Post Doc
    Yes, well, it would be nice if that were true, and the skeleton key to all success was confidence. "Confidence is the key to success," is a nice saying, but I have an equally fitting one:

Overconfidence - before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

44. Drill2Fill

Pre-Dental
  45. Meatwad

Meatwad Reformed

Post Doc
    Might even go as far as saying haughty.

46. PChemGrad

PChemGrad I am a banana.

Attending Physician
    i really dont know what a 29 on the ACT means. it really doesnt mean anything. you really have no idea what you are getting yourself into.

47. Havel

Havel Newb

Pre-Dental
    Confidence is one thing, but you are basing your whole self worth on grades and how much money you will make. Dentistry is about people not about your GPA or test scores.

48. SugarNaCl

SugarNaCl Dental Student
    Moderator Emeritus

Dentist
    I have always liked this quote and so feel its a good place to insert it:

Confidence, like art, never comes from having all the answers; it comes from being open to all the questions
    --Earl Gray Stevens

49. frubeak

Medical Student
    I hate to break it to you, but a 29 is not all that great. Try being a little less pompous, and you'll get further in life. You may think that you'll never get a B on a test in college, but I guarantee you will.

50. hotrod0917

hotrod0917 Member

Resident [Any Field]
    He knows how to push some buttons eh?
    Well, I guess you do what you need to do. But humility is probably something you'll need to learn, especially when you are in a residency. Attending surgeon would obviously love it when you say you got better board score than he did.;)

51. aphistis

Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician, Dentist
    :laugh: :laugh:

:thumbup:

52. john9192

Dental Student
    Okay, first of all, why would you spend so many years in school to perform those "easy jobs"

Second, I thought you were sooooo smart that you have confidence in being successful in college, get into dental school, and possibly the specialty of your choice? How come you're not confident enough to be successful in the business market?

i think this guy needs to go to college and get his first C in one of his test to learn a lesson.