What made you want to be a dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lindbergjb,
I think you should go check out the pre-med forums, and think about going that route, i know a lot of pre-meds that you would fit in well with.

Members don't see this ad.

well i obviously pushed some buttons, but that will happen. I'm not here to make people mad. I am proud of what i have done and i'd like to share it. A 29 on the act is aweome because im in the top 94 percentile.:thumbup:

well i obviously pushed some buttons, but that will happen. I'm not here to make people mad. I am proud of what i have done and i'd like to share it. A 29 on the act is aweome because im in the top 94 percentile.:thumbup:

It was a tough decision, but you've earned it.

COOKIE.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
What's up with that chocolate chip on the bottom? Is that mold? You're giving him a moldy cookie as a reward? :laugh: Awesome.

dont feed the troll.

I know this post is over a year old, but I stumbled upon it and laughed all the way through, as I'm sure most of you have done. Lindbergjb, are you truly being serious? Humility is a word that is obviously not in your vocabulary. If your main objective is to obtain the largest sum of money for the least amount of work, try playing the lottery. I personally find it frightening that there are potential doctors out there with your mentality. Please humor us some more.;)

this guy is hilarious, i wonder where he is now i'd like to see what he finally decide to do. Transition from high school to college, i always compared it to a football player going from college to the pros, just cuz he won the heisman in college doesn't mean he'll do **** in the pros, lol not sure if anybody's wit me on that tho.

Is it really that bad if the main reason im going into dentistry is because of the money? I mean the average salary here in wisconsin is $185000 so that is pertty good. Thats more than an engineer or a doctor or a nurse. I believe it is a very easy job that requires little physical work because i do landscaping during the summer, and that is about as hard as it gets. yes it could be easier to make more money faster in the buisiness world, but it is way more competitive. My best friends dad is Senior vice president in sales at AIG mutual funds and he easily make seven figures, but not all of us can be that privlaged to do that. Whereas, a dentist can open up his/her own practice and can make running it has hard as they want. I figure getting a business degree will be helpful for me because after graduation; i can either go two routes: business or dentist. When that time comes we will see what happens.

Here's the scoop. If you really want to make money (like crazy, rockstar money), you'll need to be an investment banker or win powerball. I worked at one of the top tier private equity firms in the world after graduation for a while before deciding to go back to school to become a dentist, but while I was there I had access to some of the financial information of middle/higher/top management. The market and the deals invested in dictated the success of the company, but let me tell you that it was not unusual to see distributions of $20-150k on average going out monthly to people in the 30-40yr old range. Of course, you need to know how to do your job to pull this kind of loot.

The path to this consists of going to a top university and doing quite well. Before you graduate (junior year usually), look into doing an "internship" with a major bank (e.g. Credit Suisse) then work for that bank for a couple years before going to Harvard, Wharton (Penn), or some other top business school. After that, all you need to do is get a job with one of the top private equity firms in the right sector (probably infrastructure in the next few years) and you'll make more 30x more than an oral surgeon.

It's a way to make the most money without being in entertainment. If you're interested in money primarily, this would probably be your best bet since you would most likely be able to springboard this into something else (upper corporate management, fund management, et cetera).

-This is for all the future money-lovers. I know this post is a dinosaur, but hey, in a day or so, it'll be on page 3 or 4 (lost to the world).-

Last edited:
I realize that i am only 17 and it will take 12 years of collage to finally become an oral surgeon, but i might not like that. I might want to just be a family dentist or another specialty. however, i also realize that my dads bro graduated about seven years ago making seven figures. So i can only try to become on and work for him. Also making money in the stock market is extremely easy because i have been doing it since i was 9. I have an overall gpa of 4.125 so i know getting into a school will not be a problem. My sister is in the carlson school of managment at the Uof M minnesota which is a top business school and i have better grades than her. So business school will be easy as well. the only question i have is not if i can become a oral surgeon or will i still want to be one 12 years down the road, but what make you guys want to be one? What was and or is your drive? And you guys should be extremely happy that someone my age is willing to become part of a very prestiges group of people among the community.

Don't get burned down at the end of the 12 years; HS is not even close to even CC or even university where you can only talk to TAs and see profs on the lectures. If you strong enough to keep up such stats you have in 4 years, then you may decide where to go... cause some people wanna be oral surgeons but when they go into the office and see blood they just faint and start thinking about a different career path. Actually, people who faint at the view of blood become great sureons at the end, don't know why:D