What Made You Want to be a Doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cgscribe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I, personally, wasn't destined for medicine from the age of six. So, let's hear it: how did you decide upon medicine, or what experience made you want to become a doctor?

Members don't see this ad.

what about you?

my son was born with 2 rare conditions. his odds of having both? 1 in 600,000,000. I took it as a sign. Now I better not get sent any more sick kids. Stupid Universe!

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess it's only right that I should post first. I had considered medicine when entering college, but had been discouraged by family and friends because of insurance/government interventions, as well as the years of schooling and competition. So, I entered college pre-Pharm. But, when shadowing a pharmacist, I realized that there's no way I could spend my life doing that. I wanted to be more challenged, and I knew how dynamic medicine was. I took a small leap of faith and haven't looked back. Soon after I began working in the local Emergency Department. Being exposed to the atmosphere that doctors work in, and seeing it all firsthand, I know I've made the right decision. I heart medicine now. I'm really interested to see other's experiences.

I think it's been said before but I will say it again: WRITE YOUR OWN PERSONAL STATEMENT! :laugh:

I keed. I keed.

WRITE YOUR OWN PERSONAL STATEMENT! :laugh: [/QUOTE said:
I was gonna say the same thing!

jackieMD2007 said:
I think it's been said before but I will say it again: WRITE YOUR OWN PERSONAL STATEMENT! :laugh:

I keed. I keed.
dammit. beat me to the punch.

Sorry kids! I couldn't believe I was the first one! :smuggrin:
OP, maybe you should buy one of those touchy-feely books. You know, on amazon. :D
OH! Or volunteer to read personal statements. You have never seen or imagined some of the horrors. Never, ever. Some, however, are very good.

seeing that part in the exorcist where the girl gets stabbed in the neck with the needle by an anesthesiologist. i'm not kidding.

Hahaha, I hadn't even considered the backlash pertaining to personal statements that I'd get. Thank you all.

my love of anal probes

Yeah, I should have gone onto say that rectal exams and enemas are the things that really make me heart medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
cgscribe said:
Yeah, I should have gone onto say that rectal exams and enemas are the things that really make me heart medicine.
I love all anus-related activities

cgscribe said:

Sorry. As a junior member you will get owned a few times before you learn what to start a thread on. It's not you. Okay, well, it is you. But, you'll improve.

At least you didn't break in here with "OMG! I have a 39 MCAT! Should I retake??"

Are you applying this cycle? We have nothing but :love: for the 2007 applicant class!

I love boobies... wee!!! :D

cgscribe said:

lol if I had the time to write the whole story why I was dragged into medicine against my own will you would have a good laugh at what you just said. Medicine really gets into your blood, I don't want to do anything else while I used to be interested in everything but medicine...

Hahaha, this is great. Yes, I'm a 2007 applicant, so show the love. I like how this started as a serious post, and has digressed into a discussion of how pre-meds like butts and boobs.

jackieMD2007 said:
At least you didn't break in here with "OMG! I have a 39 MCAT! Should I retake??"

Talking about mcat, I'm so happy I'll never have to pass this test.

Well, there's the healthy liking of b&b, and then there's the medical side of b&b which is less appealing.

I want to figure out how to cure myself of my chronic diahrrea (and no, I do not know how to spell diahhreaaa)... :p

cgscribe said:
Hahaha, this is great. Yes, I'm a 2007 applicant, so show the love. I like how this started as a serious post, and has digressed into a discussion of how pre-meds like butts and boobs.
boobs? where?

I have a lot of experience with doctors and the medical establishment due to my own health problems, and I have considered medicine seriously since age 16. I became very interested in the life sciences in high school, and I wanted to continue to learn more about the natural world in college. Additionally, I am obsessed with health itself. I eat a healthy diet, exercise reguarly, and seek treatment for my medical problems aggressively. I appreciate that good health care has had a profound effect on my ability to be successful in academics and many other aspects of life. I often imagine that health acts as a "butterfly effect," and a small change in a person's health might significantly change his quality of life and the lives of others. I think that good health is intrinsically important, worth fighting for, and easily worthy of my life's work. Furthermore, the field of medicine involves fiduciary responsibility which has always been appealing to me. I also like the fact that many fields of medicine are procedural, providing a technical challenge in addition to an intellectual challenge.

There are, of course, many disadvantages to medicine. However, I feel that medicine is by far the best field given my personality, interests, and goals.

cgscribe said:
I, personally, wasn't destined for medicine from the age of six. So, let's hear it: how did you decide upon medicine, or what experience made you want to become a doctor?

Destined from the age of 10. :) Seriously though, I have the most cliche story ever, but I swear it's true: my 4-year-old sister broke her wrist; ER gave her a sling for the weekend; she was a really active kid and hated it; I suggested she put a rollerblading wrist guard on as a splint instead; it helped with the pain for the next 3 days; I felt rewarded and the orthopedist thought it was a great idea; I decided it would be cool to be a doctor and was lucky enough to have the talent in the right areas to pursue it. The end.

I'm so hosed. ADCOMs will think I'm BSing.