What made you want to become a dentist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

-Jack-

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I thought it would be cool to hear from others on why you chose dentistry as a career. Share your story! I'm sure it would be enjoyable for others to read! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I always knew I wanted to be in the health profession, but what clenched dentistry for me was shadowing and/or befriending many physicians, pharmacists, dentists and a bunch of other health professionals. I quickly figured out dentistry was the perfect match for my logic-oriented and people-loving personality, as well as my lifestyle and future ambitions.

I fell in love with medicine in high school. My brother was going into dentistry and suggested I do the same and go into practice together. When he switched paths to real estate, I had to figure out if I really wanted to do it. I shadowed and thought about it a lot. I thought about being a physician or a physical therapist among other things. I kept coming back to dentistry, and ever since I decided I was all in for dentistry, I gained a passion for it like crazy! I think it's the coolest thing. And I really like that I get to have the awesomeness of the medical field, plus having great family-friendly hours, because family is the most important thing to me. I wanna work with my hands and help people smile. Plus, I wanna be rich enough to take a hot air balloon to work every day

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I fell in love with medicine in high school. My brother was going into dentistry and suggested I do the same and go into practice together. When he switched paths to real estate, I had to figure out if I really wanted to do it. I shadowed and thought about it a lot. I thought about being a physician or a physical therapist among other things. I kept coming back to dentistry, and ever since I decided I was all in for dentistry, I gained a passion for it like crazy! I think it's the coolest thing. And I really like that I get to have the awesomeness of the medical field, plus having great family-friendly hours, because family is the most important thing to me. I wanna work with my hands and help people smile. Plus, I wanna be rich enough to take a hot air balloon to work every day

Hot air balloon is the only way to travel.

the money duhh that's why everyone wants to become a dentist

i want to wake up, Feelin fresh, a model in each arm and a leopard st the foot of my bed.

And the hardest decision I have to make each morning is which car (lamorghini, purrari, or gtrawr) I want to take to the beach.

I've always wanted to be a balle- err dentist.

This guy's looking for something to write about on his application...

Reactions: 1 user
Put why you want to be dentist on your app. If you can't tell them why maybe you don't really want to be a dentist...

Cause I want to do oral for a living! Haha

Seriously though, I wanted to be some type of surgeon (med field) but the thought of having to tell a mother/father that I couldn't save their son or daughter is something I would have a very difficult time doing. Another thing is call sucks because it makes having time for family life very difficult and being a creature of habit working call is the opposite of the type of work schedule I would enjoy. (Dad works call so I see first hand how bad it sucks)

Also some of the experiences I had while being a dental assistant made me realize and appreciate the positive impact fixing someone's smile can have on their confidence and lives'.

Don't be nervous and just be honest in your interview. Don't memorize or try to reword what people say on here because adcoms don't like hearing bs, as I'm sure neither do you!

Last edited: