What made you want to become a dentist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happyending2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I never really thought about answer to this question until I got an assignment to write about what our future dream is.

So I actually gave some thought and wrote some thoughts down..

As I child, I was a regular at my dentist's office. I never did get used to the pain though. Injections, teeth pulling, braces are some ordeals I had to overcome at every appointment. Back then, I was given no immediate rewarding for all that suffering. Only the hopes of getting a handsome set of straight white teeth, possibly because of my experience with the dentist, I want t become one and help others overcome this suffering in a more positive manner. Career wise, my dream is to become a dentist who not only helps build a health strong set of teeth, but also to build a happy patient doctor relationship through my knowledge and experiences of visits to my dentist.

But I'm not really satisfied with what I wrote cus i want to have more clear reason to why bad experiences at a dentist made me choose to become a dentist as of now. Can anyone help me?
And I really want to hear why you guys want to become a dentist too.I'm sure everyone has different reasons to why they chose dentist as a career.

Members don't see this ad.

No offense but your reasons are so cliche! But I suppose cliches are cliches for a reason :p

When I was little, I actually had a really bad infection in my gums and it loosened all of my teeth (including my permanent teeth). You know how they say one of the worst dreams that you can have is the one where all of your teeth fall out? Yeah, that was pretty much like that. Fortunately my parents are pretty good friends with my dentist and was able to get a hold of him for an emergency appointment on a Sunday. So I guess with that traumatic experience of waking up with all of my teeth loose and getting all that fixed by my dentist is part of why I want to be a dentist. Plus, the flexible work hours is hardly resistible!

I have never had more than a teeth cleaning (no braces, no cavities, etc.) It took me a long time to discover dentistry for this reason- because I did not have any previous experience with it.

I originally was Pre-Med, trying to follow in the footsteps of my father and family members. One day my parents sat me down and told me that they didn't want me to be a doctor because it is a bad lifestyle, and HMOs take all of your money away. They told me to look into other professions, and if I truly still loved medicine, then I should continue on.
I looked into dentistry, shadowed a dentist, and found that I have an interest in it.

It wasn’t until I saw my first tooth extraction that I totally and completely knew that I wanted to be a dentist (I may be a sadist, but a dentist needs some of those qualities lol).

I sit here, a year later- just newly elected last night as President of my Pre-Dental Society- extremely happy with my decision, and not looking back on it. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Meh, I went through a few different goals before I wanted to be a Dentist, so for me, it has not been like I have always wanted to be a dentist.

In high school, I wanted to be a veterinarian. I was very interested in animals and one thing I always felt like I wanted to do was something in the medical field. But my interest in animals faded away, but I still wanted to work in the medical field, so I tried shadowing a physician for 4 weeks.

We went to his doctor's office, a nursing home, and a hospital where he worked at and I had to admit that it was quite fun. I kinda felt like I wanted to be a physician, however, I did want to be more hands on. I like how physicians talk to their patients and everything, but I also wanted to do something more hands on as physicians did not do much themselves other than telling their patients what to do.

So I then I thought about dentistry. It seemed to match everything I wanted to do, talking to the patient and performing procedures myself. Currently and I volunteer at a free dental clinic and I can completely see myself doing this several years from now. So that's how I got here.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I plan on opening my own practice one day (I guess most people do), because I also want to be a business man. Yet another good match for me and dentistry.

The general point of what you're talking about it alright, but you need to reword it. Say something along the lines of "And I admired how Dr _____ was able to really form a bond with his patients while helping them overcome their pain and suffering. Being able to make a deep impact like that really inspired me to be able to make a difference in someone else's life as well."

Notice how that's kind of changing the focus from you getting braces to what you really admired about the dentist, and be sure to include the dentist's name. Hope that helps, and it's just a suggestion. =)

my dentist used to not wash his hands after going to the bathroom, number one and number two,and sometimes he would work without gloves and his hands stunk like crap on a couple of occasions.

I think its a little cheesy. BUT its reason like yours that makes people want to become dentists. I believe you have a great starting point for your PS

Chicks, Money, Power, and Chick

Money, get to be your own boss, business aspect, lifestyle.