Aug 7, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Hello, I m French medical student, I passed the French residency exam, the results came and I can do every specialty I want in a good program, the problem is I have to choose in 3 weeks and I still have no idea of what I will do, and I don t want to do a bad choice because it s a very big one. So what made you choose your specialty, was it from the guts or purely rationnal ?

AdmiralChz

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2008
Mid-Atlantic
Status
Attending Physician
Wow, hard to go more BROAD than this topic. Not sure it's in the right forum...

The most important part is making sure you do something you will enjoy for many years or you will get burned out quickly. There are many quite jaded posters on these forums who probably went into fields for the wrong reasons and appear to now regret it. What did you enjoy in clinicals or learning about during your didactic years? If you have geographic preference of where to live in the future, how is the job market for certain subspecialities in that area (best found out by asking people directly). What kind of interactions do you want - inpatient, outpatient clinic, operating room, intensive care ward, emergency room, rehab?

This is a very personal decision for you, so take some time to reflect on your options. A pro/con list may be helpful, or going to the subspecialty forums and asking about the average day in the life of a X. Better yet, ask physicians around you about their job and satisfaction.

Reactions: eteshoe

P Diddy

california lover
15+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2002
Podunkville, CA
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Hello, I m French medical student, I passed the French residency exam, the results came and I can do every specialty I want in a good program, the problem is I have to choose in 3 weeks and I still have no idea of what I will do, and I don t want to do a bad choice because it s a very big one. So what made you choose your specialty, was it from the guts or purely rationnal ?
I would think about what specific skills you enjoy performing (procedures? diagnostic workup? wetting dry lesions and drying wet lesions?) and then more broadly which rotations you enjoyed most.

For me, I enjoy critical care and procedures, and felt most at home during my internal medicine and subspecialty rotations the most. Thus it made sense for me to enter internal medicine (which in a sense is a way to delay the ultimate career decision further) , and then subspecialize in cardiology.

Surely you must have some idea of which parts of medical practice appeal to you. Another pertinent aspect is how the French residency system is structured. Is it like the British system where you do a year as a house officer and rotate through multiple specialties? Or do you have to make your choice from the beginning?

p diddy

Phloston

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2012
Osaka, Japan
You sound like a good candidate for a transitional or preliminary year.

It will give you some time to evaluate your goals a little more, refine your interests, and gain more experience.

Transposony

Do or do not, There is no try
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2011
Dagobah
Try these flow charts:

Reactions: ThoracicGuy

oldbearprofessor

Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
Kids > adults
Babies > big kids
Critical care > non-critical care