What major is everyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what major is everyone here? I'm currently a Psychology major, but I'm debating on changing my major to Religious Studies or maybe taking a double major in both; I just sort of "settled" for psychology.

What majors are representing?

Members don't see this ad.

undergrad = psychology
grad = public health

History

did a post-bac pre med program

Members don't see this ad :)
major: biology
minor: art studio

Hey---

I am majoring in Spanish (literature option) and minoring in Biochemistry. It's a really nice break from all the science; also, it will be enormously useful in the profession (Hispanics now are the #1 ethnic minority in the US)

Major: Women's Studies
Minor: Chemistry

I'll be going to graduate school in either women's studies or bioethics.

I was planning on getting my M.Div. while I was in med school, then maybe a Ph.D. in Pastoral Counseling.

Of course, I don't know if I will have time while in med school :)

psychology.....

currently waitlisted at LECOM, so I might be doing a postbacc program in biomedical sciences.

Economics - is that bad cuz that's what I heard since it signals that we care a lot about money and I'm for H.M.O.'s ? ?? ?

undergraduate: mechanical engineering
graduate: automotive engineering

Members don't see this ad :)
B.S. ('91) and M.S. ('94) in Mechanical Engineering. Post-bacc ('02-'03) pre-med.

Out of curiosity, benn0776, where did you get your graduate degree in automotive engineering? (I wasn't aware such a degree existed)

automotive engineering is offered at GMI otherwise also known as Kettering University in Michigan I believe.

undergrad: psych
grad: psych (neuropsych)

Biology was my major in undergrad.

major: bio
minor: english
grad: physiology

Major 1: Biology
Major 2: Psychology
Minor: Chemistry

Microbiology

major: economics
minor: chemistry

B.S. - Japanese

Professional - Podiatry (DPM)

How are double majors conferred? I know if I stuck with just psych, my degree would be a "Bachelor of Arts in Psychology". How would being a double major in Psychology and Religious Studies change this? My impression is that I would just get a "Bachelor of Arts" degree. Is this bad or neutral?

Initially, I had to take 5 additional science courses because of my chemistry minor. But since I intend to apply to DO anyways, I have no reason to take additional science courses to pad my SGPA (which would be around 3.5-3.6 in AACOMAS without them). Doubling my major is really only the issue of dumping the science courses and replacing them with the RS courses.

Undergrad: Forensic Science (while finishing pre-med reqs) - 2002

Graduate: Master of Forensic Science - 2003

Med school: Hopefully class of 2007!!

JKD - from what I've heard about double majors, unless you're not planning on going on to graduate school - the extra work isn't really worth it. The pre-med requirements are important (and you'll need to do well in them to succeed on the MCAT) so most people, when pre-med and not a bio or chem major, will get a bio or chem minor since the pre-med reqs normally fulfill most of the minor anyway. Just my $0.02 though. :hardy:

Theatre Arts, BA, 1998.

Yes, I need a heap o' science classes.

Originally posted by Forensic Chick
Undergrad: Forensic Science (while finishing pre-med reqs) - 2002

Graduate: Master of Forensic Science - 2003

Med school: Hopefully class of 2007!!

JKD - from what I've heard about double majors, unless you're not planning on going on to graduate school - the extra work isn't really worth it. The pre-med requirements are important (and you'll need to do well in them to succeed on the MCAT) so most people, when pre-med and not a bio or chem major, will get a bio or chem minor since the pre-med reqs normally fulfill most of the minor anyway. Just my $0.02 though. :hardy:

I am currently a chem minor, but the chem courses require that I take another 10 hours of additional chemistry courses.

shinken, I got the masters in automotive engineering from the university of michigan.

BS in Biology, minor in Chemistry
MS in Biology, minor in Chemistry

Major: Biochemistry
Minor : Religion

major: Human Nutrition
minor: Biology

Hey, that's pretty neat-o :D

Major: Biology (I have yet to choose an emphasis - Molecular Biology & Biotechnology, Cell and Developmental Biology, Conservation Biology & Ecology, etc...I'm hoping to get Molecular Bio and Biotech)

Minor: Philosophy (a double major would require too much out of me)

I actually just got back from seeing my advisor. I decided against the Double Major -- would have added way too much time.

I instead changed my degree to a B.S. in Psychology (rather than the B.A.) and kept my minor in Chemistry. Now, if I get accepted to med school in time, I can graduate next Fall:clap:

B.S. BIOCHEMISTRY

MPH. EPIDEMIOLOGY/BIOSTATISTICS

MD????????????????????????????? hopefully in some Preventive Medicine specialty

Just curious....

do you guys think MS/ MPH helps in gaining admission (not justin terms of GPA boost), but do they reallly care that you did it????

I hear so many stories..like private med schools care and that state schools don't.

I just wonder how DO schools react to that.

B.A. in Biology
I couldn't major at my school in half the stuff some people have listed :D My school was too small I guess.

Dr_Sax

ChicagoHope,

When I applied last year I had just begun work on my Master's and wasn't able to supply much in terms of grades/references at initial application. I interviewed in March, the approximate halfway point of my degree, and the interviewers seemed impressed that I was pursing an advanced degree. I did not start a Master's program to improve my GPA (though I admit that it has helped) -- but the program itself was bigger and much more work that I could have ever imagined. I would recommend that you not pursue the degree just to look good in the admissions committee's eyes -- do it because you want to have an advanced degree. It can be a financial burden and also suck up a lot of your time.

Best of luck with what you choose! :hardy:

Major: Biochemistry
Minor: Biology
MS: Biology
Second Degree: Mechanical Engineering

forensic chic,

Thanks. Well actually i am halfway done with my MPH in Epi/Biostat. I was never pre-med until i went to grad school..and public health sort of boosted my interest from lab research to medicine. I thnk public health and med ...especially DO schools are hand in hand in the preventative nature.

I think a Masters probably will help in terms of maturity and not just GPA boosts. hopefully.

So have you heard back from anywhere? I wish you good luck!!

anybody else with a MPH/ MS in the public health field????? getting good results???

chicagohope(ful)

Medical Lab Science

Major: Turfgrass Science (I'm a former aspiring Golf Course Superintendent)

Minor: General Business

Originally posted by chicagohope

anybody else with a MPH/ MS in the public health field????? getting good results???

chicagohope(ful)

When I was on the interview trail last year, the interviewers were all over the people with MPH's. Showed definite interest in them, and that makes sense, given their 'whole' approach to medicine.

- Tae

Major: Classical philosophy

exercise science: concentration cardiopulmonary rehabilitation

B.S. Nutrition
M.S. Nutrition

I'm also a Registered Dietitian. I work as a nutritionist at a clinic in the South Bronx.

Good luck everyone!

Major: History- Classical Greece and Rome and Medieval Studies emphasis

Now I'm making my own informal Post-Bacc!

BS Biology (Major-premed/prePT ) 1998 Washington State U
BS Kinesiology (Major-Athletic Training) 1998 Wash St. U
Minor: Health & Wellness (emphasis: Strength Training) WSU
NATA Ceritified 1999 WSU
LECOM PostBac: Biomedical Sciences 2001
DO: LECOM Class of 2005
stomper

Do all medical schools require that any master's program be completed before being admitted? I was thinking of doing a M.Div. program through an accredited Distance Learning Program, since I can get 30-40 hours done before I start med school, leaving only 60-50 hours of work while in med school.