What makes a "more competitive" medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

2BIntegrativeMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to all,

I will be applying to medical school soon and I want to know from anyone and everyone who can offer advice, What makes a "more competitive" medical school?

Could it be due to:

A traditional grading system? or grading system similar to it? vs. Pass/Fail grading system?

Accessibility of faculty?

Interaction among students?

Entering GPA and MCAT scores of most students?

Virtually no academic support services?

Or in your opinion what exactly is it?

Thanks in advance!
user_offline.gif
progress.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Hello to all,

I will be applying to medical school soon and I want to know from anyone and everyone who can offer advice, What makes a "more competitive" medical school?

I think it depends on how much those schools select for those same jackasses in your undergraduate institution that insist on making everything into a competition.

Hello to all,

Could it be due to:

A traditional grading system? or grading system similar to it? vs. Pass/Fail grading system?

Thanks in advance!
user_offline.gif
progress.gif

Depends on what definition you are using - ie competitive as a measure of quality or as a measure of cutthroat-ness. The level of competitiveness on admissions is largely governed by entering numerical stats of matriculants, and the percentage of people they accept from their interviews. The US News ranking version of top schools is based on research dollars. How competitive a school is once you are there probably relates to grading systesm. Some of the other things you have listed are important but not really related to notions of competitiveness. What are you really trying to ask?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, taking a look at what was posted to clarify, I want to know in your opinion what makes a school more competitive once you are there?

Please do let me know!!!

Well, taking a look at what was posted to clarify, I want to know in your opinion what makes a school more competitive once you are there?

Please do let me know!!!

Again, it's your use of the word "competitive" in this context which is throwing us. Do you mean having an atmosphere of excessive competition, or competitive in terms of getting residencies, or what? From the things you listed you might be asking about either.

Running out of carbon paper here.

Hello to all,

Could it be due to:

Thanks in advance!
user_offline.gif
progress.gif
NIH research funding plays a huge role. Of course, that has nothing whatsoever to do with the quality of the teaching or the clinical training available at the medical school...
(assuming your definition of competitive is linked to perceived prestige of a given medical school).

Are you saying competative as in med school vs. med school or student vs. student?

Status
Not open for further replies.