What makes a "more competitive" medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

2BIntegrativeMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to all,

I will be applying to medical school soon and I want to know from anyone and everyone who can offer advice, What makes a "more competitive" medical school?

Could it be due to:

A traditional grading system? or grading system similar to it? vs. Pass/Fail grading system?

Accessibility of faculty?

Interaction among students?

Entering GPA and MCAT scores of most students?

Virtually no academic support services?

Or in your opinion what exactly is it?

Thanks in advance!
user_offline.gif
progress.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Hello to all,

I will be applying to medical school soon and I want to know from anyone and everyone who can offer advice, What makes a "more competitive" medical school?

Could it be due to:

A traditional grading system? or grading system similar to it? vs. Pass/Fail grading system?

Accessibility of faculty?

Interaction among students?

Entering GPA and MCAT scores of most students?

Virtually no academic support services?

Or in your opinion what exactly is it?

Thanks in advance!

Also perceived level of competition, national and international recognition of faculty excellence, even location of the school. I would say the one consistent, palpable benefit of a competitive med school is the students that attend, meaning you will be pushed to your limits by being compared to super-achievers.

Read any of the gazillion threads in Allo on state school v. top 20, and you'll get a feel for how most students see the issue.

My follow up question would be what makes a school more competitive once you are there?

Please do respond!!! and
Thanks for the feedback so far!!!

Duplicate thread to one in Non-Trad forum and therefore closing. You can reply to thead in Non-Trad if you desire.

Status
Not open for further replies.