What makes one dental school better then the other?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ateria

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a question about what sets dental schools apart? I recently decided I would attempt to apply to dental school and am a little lost on how one goes about distinguishing a good dental school from a bad one. With the kinds of things you hear about Boston University with its lack of a student centered environment and NYU being no more than a money making engine i get very worried about what kind of school to apply to. I am a normal student. Have a 3.45bcp gpa and a 3.1 ogpa. I want to be a good dentist, in your opinion do all schools tend to prepare students well for the career?

People keep suggesting i apply to ' low ranking ' schools because of my less than competitive gpa. but they all cost the same. Will they be bad schools.. And if so is there any point in attending?

I think i am capable of a good DAT score and my confidence is really hanging on this belief as i apply to so called good schools, but if i don't get in would you recommend me just not attend the so called bad schools?

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion the two things that set dental schools apart are the cost of tuition and the location. Do you want to pay more for an out of state school, or even more for a private school? Will you be happy in the Midwest or on the coast? Big city? Small town? That's up to you.

Harvard is probably more likely to give you a better education than a brand new school like Touro, but those are polar opposites. Compare your stats to all of the accepted profiles of each school with the ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools. I'd say that if you only got into one school and you considered it "low ranking", it would still be better than not being a dental student. The term "low ranking" is kind of silly, because every school needs to be accredited to teach you how to be a dentist.

Most dentists will tell you that their patients could care less about where they went to school anyway...

how could you have a 3.1 overall GPA and a 3.45 Science GPA?
I had a bad time other courses i took outside the sciences... Im sorry i should have specified i have a 3.45 bcp gpa. I had a few courses that i food badly in and this affects the over all grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion the two things that set dental schools apart are the cost of tuition and the location. Do you want to pay more for an out of state school, or even more for a private school? Will you be happy in the Midwest or on the coast? Big city? Small town? That's up to you.

Harvard is probably more likely to give you a better education than a brand new school like Touro, but those are polar opposites. Compare your stats to all of the accepted profiles of each school with the ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools. I'd say that if you only got into one school and you considered it "low ranking", it would still be better than not being a dental student. The term "low ranking" is kind of silly, because every school needs to be accredited to teach you how to be a dentist.

Most dentists will tell you that their patients could care less about where they went to school anyway...

I'm more concerned with the quality of the education. I am less concerned with cost because I'm Canadian. Im paying about the same I'm any part of the country.

I am just curious as to what changes at the learning level from school to school. Will the opportunity if further studies decrease if i go to a newer school? Do schools with a strong specialization program think of you differently if you originated from a newer school? like the way they do when they say community college is 'easier' than University, will they continue to differentiate through the academic aspect of your career?

it really depends on what you value out of a program, what factors matter most to you, i.e. cost, location, clinical vs less clinic based, interest in specializing or being a gen dent, the type of grading, class size, etc
This. Outside of board pass rates, everything else is personal preference IMO.

Reactions: 1 users
Well fortunately for you, you won't have to deal with this problem because you won't get into any good schools looking at your marks. Then it all comes down to tuition and life expectations.

Well fortunately for you, you won't have to deal with this problem because you won't get into any good schools looking at your marks. Then it all comes down to tuition and life expectations.
Ouch.:blackeye:

Reactions: 2 users
This. Outside of board pass rates, everything else is personal preference IMO.
Is there a way to find this information ? I'm quite new to this whole process.

Reactions: 1 user

You don't need crazy stats to get into good school. There are other factors other than GPA n DAT. Ex. If you in state, they will give you more preference than someone with a better stats that is oos.

Plus there no difference between a bad school and a good school. Once you graduate it all same ****. Patients don't ask what school you graduate from so who give a ****. Look for the cheapest school, that what most real world successful dentist will tell you.