"What makes you better than the other applicants"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HughMyron

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Perusing the interview feedback posts, and I came across this...thing.

It seems to be rather direct compared to some of the other questions. How would you approach this? I imagine that it invites the student to basically recite his resume with some commentary.

This, of course, assumes that you don't have a killer experience like a NEJM or Nature publication or whatever.

Members don't see this ad.

Do the interview feedback posts contain itnerview questions? I did not see....

Perusing the interview feedback posts, and I came across this...thing.

It seems to be rather direct compared to some of the other questions. How would you approach this? I imagine that it invites the student to basically recite his resume with some commentary.

This, of course, assumes that you don't have a killer experience like a NEJM or Nature publication or whatever.

On interview feedback for a specfic school, click "view results" (just under the pie chart) then scroll down and click "questions" and then scroll down on the right click "view all".

As for the question itself, be modest and humble, particularly if you've had more than 5 minutes to converse with any of the other applicants that day. After making a statement about how interesting and accomplished the other students are, state why you think that x medical school should choose you. Try to avoid claiming to be better but say why you think you would be an asset at that school given your prior experience, your educational background (and/or research experience), language skills, etc and why the school would be a good fit for you (your interest in xyz which meshes with the school's mission, etc).

Members don't see this ad :)
Mumble something about diversity if you're diverse in any way.

Thanks a lot!

On interview feedback for a specfic school, click "view results" (just under the pie chart) then scroll down and click "questions" and then scroll down on the right click "view all".

As for the question itself, be modest and humble, particularly if you've had more than 5 minutes to converse with any of the other applicants that day. After making a statement about how interesting and accomplished the other students are, state why you think that x medical school should choose you. Try to avoid claiming to be better but say why you think you would be an asset at that school given your prior experience, your educational background (and/or research experience), language skills, etc and why the school would be a good fit for you (your interest in xyz which meshes with the school's mission, etc).

I plan on using my age (25) and the fact that I originally wanted to work in public service as a police officer. I eventually became fascinated with biological psychology and that's when I became interested in medicine. This sounds good in my head but is it the right way to go? I want my interviewer to know that I decided on medicine through personal growth and not because I want to impress people or because my family forced me haha.

Although considering I have an associates in criminal justice I'll probably have to mention all that regardless.