What makes you stand out as a non-trad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WTEngel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought it would be really interesting to start a thread about what makes each of us stand out as a non-trad student, and how that fact can be used to our advantage in the admissions process.

I have been a paramedic for 9 years. I spent 4 of those years on a fire department working in a fairly rough part of town. I then went on to work as a flight paramedic for the largest level one pediatric trauma center in Texas for 3 years, and did a little over a year in Saudi Arabia training physicians and paramedics to work for the new Saudi Helicopter EMS program. Now I am the lead faculty for a fairly large paramedic paramedic program, as I finish my bachelor's degree.

To sum up the biggest thing I have taken away from all of these experiences combined, it is the fact that we should always be increasing our level of education, and in turn educating those who will take our position as we move on. The cycle of gaining education, progressively moving into roles of greater responsibility, and making sure you use your experience to hopefully leave the next generation better prepared than you were is constantly moving...

Anyway, that's my (extremely abbreviated) story. I would really like to hear from other non-trads about your background and how those previous experiences have shaped the path you are traveling towards medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

I used to be a mechanic, worked numerous blue collar jobs, and I applied as a truck driver. Doubt there are many truck drivers in med school.

I used to be a mechanic, worked numerous blue collar jobs, and I applied as a truck driver. Doubt there are many truck drivers in med school.

I think blue collar jobs offer some of the best life-lessons around. Not much substitute for the school of hard knocks, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think blue collar jobs offer some of the best life-lessons around. Not much substitute for the school of hard knocks, right?

definitely right about that. especially when dealing with unions. i feel like there is nothing I won't be able to handle. Haha.

I am a self-taught makeup artist and hair stylist that has been on TV, magazines, movies, and fashion. I don't do too much of that because I don't have as much time so I just do formal events which are a lot more lucrative and have my regular hair clientele out of my home. It's very flexible and it's fun getting paid for something you don't have to think about. I've been an EMT for 3 years and started this journey when I was 12 working with a quadriplegic as her assistant. From then, I had numerous medical related experiences but the pressure was too much from my family coming out of high school and being the rebellious Catholic school girl, I had to do things on my own time. Hopefully will be applying in July pending my May 31st MCAT. :xf:

~M

What made you decide to transition from dentist to DO?

I was union one year, nothing quite like forklift operation and washing semi trailers to round out the resume

Last edited:
My extraordinary awesomeness

Probably my drive and attitude, I'm a Leo, we're kinda pushy ;)

There's no way a 21-25 year old is as fun to interview as somebody who has decades of boardroom experience, defending and promoting and BS-cutting. I had a blast in med school interviews.

I used to be Sylvester the cat at Six Flags. Does that count?

Before entering my post-bacc program I worked as a professional actress in classical theatre. My degree had emphasis in Shakespeare and I've worked abroad and throughout the US. I even had my own production company I planned on turning into a full-fledged theatre. I hope to have the chance to recite sonnets and impress my interviewers with poetry, because it is something I can do well.

As far as I can tell, I am the only person ever to volunteer on the Logos Hope, the Spirit and the Africa Mercy, all three of the Christian-run ships in service today.

I am also the proud holder of the Logos Hope's prestigious Most Fires Accidentally Started and Most Splinters Stuck In Eyeballs awards, but I might not put those on my application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Being black, seriously. Look at how much lower their average matriculant GPA/MCAT scores are compared to everyone else. I'm not black, but nothing helps you more than that if you are. Not even being racist, the numbers published by the AAMC are proof.

Hmm....so if my GPA/MCAT scores are as good as or better than the rest of the potential entering class, would my blackness still work to my advantage? Or would it even matter at that point? That's a serious question. Not at all trying to be a jerk.

I am a first generation college graduate, went through many hard times in life, but still maintained to graduate with honors, all while working and taking care of my family (and keeping a smile on my face):)

Last edited:
Completed full term of service in U.S. Peace Corps in Burkina Faso. I don't have to try very hard to convince interviewers that I work hard and am committed to service work.

Sent from my MB860 using SDN Mobile

I am a first generation college graduate and an immigrant (I may be reaching here ?). I have worked in healthcare administration/compliance for 7 years and have valuable insight into the field of insurance and managed care. I elected to start a family during my post-bacc education, ensuring that I can be prepared and ready for almost anything. I would like to use my medical degree to start a small, transparent organization where clinical and non-clinical volunteers can offer aid internationally (this is a pipe-dream, and I have not even begun to look into this realistically yet - like I said, huge pipe dream. I just think it is something that would be really cool to do).

I am a chick who can fly jets :D And, I fought semi-professionally in boxing, kickboxing and MMA :D

Last edited:
Grew up on a ranch, bucked hay bales, drove tractor, combine, etc. Competed in team roping, am half way through getting my private pilots license, fought wildland fire, rowed raft on numerous 7 day whitewater trips. Worked as inpatient rehab aide for 2 years and am intimately acquainted with hoyer lifts and the 600 lb plus population. Looking for a job that's better on my back ;-)

I am a chick who can fly jets :D And, I fought semi-professionally in boxing, kickboxing and MMA :D

Sounds like you're ready for your ED rotation
425770aa-a9b2-c5eb.jpg

Last edited:
Pharm tech, journalist, and by the time I hopefully matriculate, I'll have a MS in toxicology or pharmacology. And hopefully have finally finished a novel or two. :)

Oh, and I'm planning on playing rugby when I get back in school. Mad ruggin', yo.

I've spent 7 out of the last 10 years in 5 countries, including 3 months in Norway, and I'm at the end of a 3 year stay in Latin America. Which is odd, considering my family is so old fashioned, tight-knit and has always lived in the same town.

A lot of us here are nontrads with a story to tell, and we understand that there's so much more that you can't get from a book.

It's made me value the journey itself more than the finish line.

It's made me value the journey itself more than the finish line.

Good words, there :)

I agree. I think it'll help us relate to a wide variety of patients and experiences that our younger brothers and sisters in white would have a harder time dealing with.

Oh, and I'm planning on playing rugby when I get back in school. Mad ruggin', yo.

A fellow rugger! Love it. What position do you play? Or are you just starting out?

Just starting out. Wanted to play for a long time, just don't have much opportunity in the boonies where I'm from. :p

How bout you?

I've spent 7 out of the last 10 years in 5 countries, including 3 months in Norway,

Where in Norway, NightOwly?

There's no way a 21-25 year old is as fun to interview as somebody who has decades of boardroom experience, defending and promoting and BS-cutting. I had a blast in med school interviews.

Seriously. I've only been doing corporate stuff for a few years, but nothing fazes me anymore. I'm a project manager, and before this I did consulting. Lots of presentations followed by intense Q&A sessions. I may not always have the right answer, but you can bet your last dollar I'll have a good one. If I didn't, I'd be out of a job.

Just starting out. Wanted to play for a long time, just don't have much opportunity in the boonies where I'm from. :p

How bout you?

Front row, but lately more prop than hooker. I've had to take the last year off due to injuries (one rugby related, another stupidity related) and school/work. So once my app is in, I'm totally going back to it. Watching from the sidelines sucks.

It's a great sport and a wonderful community to be a part of. You'll love it!

I thought it would be really interesting to start a thread about what makes each of us stand out as a non-trad student, and how that fact can be used to our advantage in the admissions process.

Spent 4 years and 13 trips back and forth working in Liberia. W Africa. Been at gunpoint and robbed by machete there, as well as violently ill there and nearly brought back in a body bag.

That, and spent my 14-22 years working in family landscaping business and not starting school until I was 23, and graduating from an online college. (before starting my B&M postbac)

Landscapers, Nonprofit workers, firefighters and UPS drivers don't usually practice medicine.

Front row, but lately more prop than hooker. I've had to take the last year off due to injuries (one rugby related, another stupidity related) and school/work. So once my app is in, I'm totally going back to it. Watching from the sidelines sucks.

It's a great sport and a wonderful community to be a part of. You'll love it!
Inside/Outside Center, Full-Back. Gave up playing 15's once I blew my knee out last year. Wasn't worth the risk of injury. As a Chiro, one upper extremity injury away from not practicing! I love playing touch though and I may get back into 7's if I can find a club wherever I go to med school. My club qualified for the southeast regionals in South Carolina this year and I was watching from the sidelines :(

Teach for America. Design and Implemented a PreCalc curriculum for the who district and trained teachers to use it.

I am a 35 yr old professor at a top US cancer hospital and feel that my research is suffering from my lack of medical knowledge, even though I did approx 50% of med school in a foreign country and was at MIT for four years. I am considering to apply the coming year and wonder if they will accept me without a US undergrad based on my experience - am meeting the dean of admissions of a medical school soon. Definitely a non-standard situation for me.

I was a teen mom who supported myself soley and finished high school on time! Detention Officer for Sheriff's Office for 6.5 yrs (saw a lot of interesting things), now I work in a large community hospital as a scribe (I love working around the doctors and nurses). I can't wait to become a doctor!

1.) My advanced age

2.) d-1 football player

huge gap

3.) Harvard Law School

smaller gap

4.) My time on Wall St., first in finance then in law.

I'm "that guy."

Last edited:
Nontrads are great!! Hmmm... I have one former athlete preparing for the Olympic trials (runner) and one who got this little award, I forget what it's called, oh! The Heisman! Mark Ingram was my athlete. I'm an athletic trainer (NOT personal trainer!)
I'm also a first gen urm female who loves to hunt.

Our experiences. Those are our strong points.

Father died when I was 13 from cancer after becoming paralyzed for 8 months. Learned many things one my own throughout those years when many boys learn/share the same things with their dads. Began working 50-60 hours a week when I was 13 in the summers doing construction to help with the bleek money situation.
First generation college graduate. Worked a short stint with the ambulance as an EMT. Been a police officer for the past 8 years and will probably have 13+ if/when I ever get around to doing all the prereqs and applying.
Nothing to crazy but I can always hold my own in any group of people. :D

Where in Norway, NightOwly?

Bergen! I absolutely loved it.

I was engaged to a Norwegian (we met in Italy, and spoke to each other in Italian) and so I spent Christmas with his family and stayed a while to get to know the country. The nature there is absolutely magical.

Have you been to Norway?

Have you been to Norway?

Yes, I'm from Norway originally -- small town called Risør on the southern coast. My family moved to the US when I was six, but we spent every other summer back In Risør when I was growing up. I actually bought a one-way ticket and moved to Oslo by myself after I graduated from college in 1993. I ended up returning to the US less than six months later, but have always visited fairly regularly and my parents moved back there permanently in 2004.

Bergen is beautiful. Glad you enjoyed it.

Bergen! I absolutely loved it.

I was engaged to a Norwegian (we met in Italy, and spoke to each other in Italian) and so I spent Christmas with his family and stayed a while to get to know the country. The nature there is absolutely magical.

Have you been to Norway?

Sailing into Bergen is on my bucket list, so I'm super jealous. Norway's pretty awesome in general!

Being an EMT on an island in southeast Alaska caught the attention of some adcoms--I attribute at least 2 interview offers to that experience.

Being an EMT on an island in southeast Alaska caught the attention of some adcoms--I attribute at least 2 interview offers to that experience.

Which island? I've spent a fair amount of time POW. Interesting place.

I'm a CPA which is fairly unique for applicants. I've been a fly fishing guide in remote SW Alaska. I've had clients have medical emergencies out there (not fun). Also, I hiked 12 miles out to call a helicopter in for a gentleman having a heart attack.

Which island? I've spent a fair amount of time POW. Interesting place.

I'm a CPA which is fairly unique for applicants. I've been a fly fishing guide in remote SW Alaska. I've had clients have medical emergencies out there (not fun). Also, I hiked 12 miles out to call a helicopter in for a gentleman having a heart attack.

We were on POW island. In Thorne Bay to be exact. The city of Thorne Bay paid for me to become an EMT; the people there are wonderful.

Last edited:
Did a bunch of research in biofuels, microbiology and finally immunology.

I was assistant branch manager at a bank before being bought up and laid off. I also managed my dad's stores after he passed away.

Voted "most likely to be found in dorm room" during college :oops:. Good thing schools don't know about that, would probably be an app killer :D.

Sailing into Bergen is on my bucket list, so I'm super jealous. Norway's pretty awesome in general!

What's the boat in your avatar? It's been bugging me since I first saw it.