What makes you think you can cut it as doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pembleton

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
By this question, what I mean, is what makes you think you'll be a capable doctor?

I don't really want to know why you want to be a doctor but what inner quality do you possess that makes you think you'll be a good doctor.

I'm wrestling with the answer to this question myself.

Members don't see this ad.

a good doctor is a trained one......trained in the art of practicing medicine.

there you go :)

Good answer.

Maybe I should rephrase my question: what makes you think you'll be a better than average doctor?

Being a good doctor is attainable through hard work, smarts and endurance, but what'll make you better than good.

I ask because sometimes I think I might be just satisfied with being good, rather than being excellent.

Members don't see this ad :)
More than half the battle is gaining the patient's trust. If you are able to develop and maintain a healthy and productive doctor-patient relationship, the stuff we learn in med school becomes a whole lot easier to apply.

There are many well trained doctors, but very few GOOD doctors. Knowledge isn't what makes a great physician (assuming a basic level of knowledge). I have had contact with brilliant doctors who were horrible physicians and no one wanted to go to them, and I have known so-so doctors that were wonderful. The difference lies in the doctor-patient relationship. Does the patient TRUST his doctor? Does the patient BELEIVE his doctor? Does the patient beleive his doctor REALLY CARES about him? Perhaps one of the greates problems a doctor faces is getting his patients to actually DO what he/she asks (compliance with treatment). The likelyhood that a patient will conform to treatment is based on the "feeling" the patient gets from his physican. The doctor can be the most knowledgeable in the world, but if his patient doesn't beleive his doctors really cares about him all that knowlege is for nothing. Speaking from experience(I have a 10 year old with a rare disorder), it makes all the difference if my child beleives his doctor REALLY CARES if he lives.

Originally posted by Pembleton
Maybe I should rephrase my question: what makes you think you'll be a better than average doctor?

Because I'm me.

Originally posted by CD
There are many well trained doctors, but very few GOOD doctors. Knowledge isn't what makes a great physician (assuming a basic level of knowledge). I have had contact with brilliant doctors who were horrible physicians and no one wanted to go to them, and I have known so-so doctors that were wonderful. The difference lies in the doctor-patient relationship. Does the patient TRUST his doctor? Does the patient BELEIVE his doctor? Does the patient beleive his doctor REALLY CARES about him? Perhaps one of the greates problems a doctor faces is getting his patients to actually DO what he/she asks (compliance with treatment). The likelyhood that a patient will conform to treatment is based on the "feeling" the patient gets from his physican. The doctor can be the most knowledgeable in the world, but if his patient doesn't beleive his doctors really cares about him all that knowlege is for nothing. Speaking from experience(I have a 10 year old with a rare disorder), it makes all the difference if my child beleives his doctor REALLY CARES if he lives.

excellent point :cool: