What masters is best for a pre dent looking to specialize after dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thecookiemonsta

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I have a year off before dental school and I really wanted to get my masters in public health (accelerated program at jefferson 1 year). I called the schools I want to apply to and they said this would be ok. Umdnj also has a one year MBS with a dentistry component but given my stats I don't think iit would be useful. Gpa: 3.78 Double major: Bio and Sociology Dat avg: 21 international volunteer experience in dentistry. I have been out of school for three years and finding a job has been horrible and I really want to concentrate on a masters that will help me to get into residency after dental school. What should I do? Thanks! :love:

Additional info: hubby is in medical school. When he finishes residency I will be done with dental school so hopefully he can come to where I am so I am not too interested in a dual degree program. Also I would hopefully be a contender for a fellowship program that will cover 80 percent more of the cost and I really want to take advantage of the opportunity.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think that having a masters will affect your chances of residency programs but I could be wrong. Just enjoy your time before dental school starts or if money is tight get a job.

I don't think that having a masters will affect your chances of residency programs but I could be wrong. Just enjoy your time before dental school starts or if money is tight get a job.

Yea I was told that it does help especially when separating two similar candidates and I've always had an interest in research and or public health. Working is cool and with the accelerating program I'd be able to do so. But Id rather spend the year investing in myself than someone else and the fellowship would pay a stipend to do so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea I was told that it does help especially when separating two similar candidates and I've always had an interest in research and or public health. Working is cool and with the accelerating program I'd be able to do so. But Id rather spend the year investing in myself than someone else and the fellowship would pay a stipend to do so.

Ok, well then ask the person who told you it matters. It sounds like they know a lot about it.

Hi! I have a year off before dental school and I really wanted to get my masters in public health (accelerated program at jefferson 1 year). I called the schools I want to apply to and they said this would be ok. Umdnj also has a one year MBS with a dentistry component but given my stats I don't think iit would be useful. Gpa: 3.78 Double major: Bio and Sociology Dat avg: 21 international volunteer experience in dentistry. I have been out of school for three years and finding a job has been horrible and I really want to concentrate on a masters that will help me to get into residency after dental school. What should I do? Thanks! :love:

Additional info: hubby is in medical school. When he finishes residency I will be done with dental school so hopefully he can come to where I am so I am not too interested in a dual degree program. Also I would hopefully be a contender for a fellowship program that will cover 80 percent more of the cost and I really want to take advantage of the opportunity.

If I were you I'd take a break from school and do anything that will keep you away from school. :laugh: You don't want to get burnt out before dental school.

However, if f you must pursue a master's definitely go with MPH. I graduated with a different master's program, and looking back, I would rather have pursued Public Health.

masters really sets you apart from your counterparts, contrary to what the previous people have said. at ucla (where it used to be p/f, now is h/p/f) this is a popular way to set yourself apart.

do a masters in oral biology if the option is available to you. maybe this is only how it works at ucla...but i doubt it