What math have you had?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I have had...

• Algebra and Trig only

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Algebra/Trig and Calculus

Votes: 8 4.2%
  • Calculus I only

Votes: 23 12.1%
  • More than 1 Calculus class

Votes: 152 80.0%

• Total voters

beauregard

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is some disagreement among students and advisors at my school as to how much math you really need.

Some say you only need 2 semesters of math, but other are adamant that you won't get into med school without Calculus.

What do you think? Which math classes have you had?

Members don't see this ad.

Do what I did. Get a minor in it and then you can be sure you've taken plenty. Of course, I'd suggest you do better in your upper level math classes than I did. :p

Math requirements are school specific. See the MSAR for details.

Do what I did. Get a minor in it and then you can be sure you've taken plenty. Of course, I'd suggest you do better in your upper level math classes than I did. :p

Im going for the minor, and then some. My minor will go up to multivar calc and linear algebra, but I want to take ODE, PDE and Calculus of Complex Variables.

Maybe I should just dual major in math :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, the requirements vary widely across schools.

I took Calc I and Statistics. This covered me for every school I wanted to apply to. (even WashU).

There are a few schools (a dozen or so) that require Calc II, but that's about it.

Im going for the minor, and then some. My minor will go up to multivar calc and linear algebra, but I want to take ODE, PDE and Calculus of Complex Variables.

Maybe I should just dual major in math :rolleyes:

Beware the proofs!

way too much math

hilbert spaces, math logic, lie algebra

i should have taken an intro stats class instead

I was a biomedical engineering major so I had to take math through partial, and differential equations (I think that's what you call it.) I barely used math past Calc II, even in my engineering courses...

I hate math. I mean really, really hate it.

Most of the schools that I want to go to don't specify any math requirements, except for one that says a year of math is requirred and calc preferred.

Some of the advisors at my school say that although it's not specified that you need calc, it's more of an "unwritten rule" that you have to have it. I guess they are saying that Adcoms will think that your application is sub-par without it.

I'm coming from a humanities background, and I'm doing some post-bac to get all of my pre-reqs and upper level bio classes in. I really don't want to take anymore math than I absolutely have to because it is soo much work for me.

I hate math. I mean really, really hate it.

Most of the schools that I want to go to don't specify any math requirements, except for one that says a year of math is requirred and calc preferred.

Some of the advisors at my school say that although it's not specified that you need calc, it's more of an "unwritten rule" that you have to have it. I guess they are saying that Adcoms will think that your application is sub-par without it.

I'm coming from a humanities background, and I'm doing some post-bac to get all of my pre-reqs and upper level bio classes in. I really don't want to take anymore math than I absolutely have to because it is soo much work for me.

LOL call me a nerd, but I get depressed when I read posts like this where the poster has a deep hatred for math. I would just wish they would teach people the simple math that isn't just easy to understand but is also actually extremely interesting and very philosophical provoking at the same time. They should teach courses like that instead of calc for the non math people, so they gain a little insight into how interesting math could be.

LOL call me a nerd, but I get depressed when I read posts like this where the poster has a deep hatred for math. I would just wish they would teach people the simple math that isn't just easy to understand but is also actually extremely interesting and very philosophical provoking at the same time. They should teach courses like that instead of calc for the non math people, so they gain a little insight into how interesting math could be.

What they should do is start children with real math earlier. Start them with imaginary numbers (for god's sake, rename them! Call them anything but imaginary. That one word has turned more people off from math than anything else I know!) at the same time they learn normal integers. Start them with operators at same time they learn arithmatic. Children can learn things very quickly at a young age, and having an instincual grasp of higher math would help everyone.

What they should do is start children with real math earlier. Start them with imaginary numbers (for god's sake, rename them! Call them anything but imaginary. That one word has turned more people off from math than anything else I know!) at the same time they learn normal integers. Start them with operators at same time they learn arithmatic. Children can learn things very quickly at a young age, and having an instincual grasp of higher math would help everyone.

LOL that would be great. Little kids doing some operator theory would be hilarious.

Things that people should be taught that they would find interesting and that are easy to understand should be things like the infinite sizes of infinity, all the craziness of where the golden ratio can be found, and some simple topology (which is very applicable to DNA btw) like bending shapes.

Gotta love how that 5 on the AP BC Calc exam got me 8 credits and exempt from taking more math.

I took stats, but the class I took hardly counts. I'm pretty sure I learned more statistics from my lab research then I did from my idiot prof. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
There is some disagreement among students and advisors at my school as to how much math you really need.

Some say you only need 2 semesters of math, but other are adamant that you won't get into med school without Calculus.

What do you think? Which math classes have you had?

Do a search for this, math requirements have been discussed in depth. Only 2-3 schools require 2 semesters of chem, and only something like 16 schools require any Calc....as others have said, it's scool specific.

That said, if your advisors are telling you that you absolutely need Calculus, advisors usually say those things for a reason. (E.g. I thought mine was on crack most of the time, but now looking back, all the advice I got was spot-on.)

Is there any available information online regarding the schools that require calculus? I am taking statistics next semester and would rather not have to take calculus. I live in Texas and we recently dropped all math requirements for medical school so my advisors actually recommend I just take statistics to fulfill my degree requirements. But I am planning on applying broadly out of state so I would like to know which schools require it or not.

Is there any available information online regarding the schools that require calculus? I am taking statistics next semester and would rather not have to take calculus. I live in Texas and we recently dropped all math requirements for medical school so my advisors actually recommend I just take statistics to fulfill my degree requirements. But I am planning on applying broadly out of state so I would like to know which schools require it or not.

Each school's website will have the requirements listed. A good general reference, though, is the MSAR. Your advisor should have a copy you can look at if you don't want to buy it.

A little off topic but i've found, at least at my lil bro's school, that there are opportunities to get 2-3 years ahead of state standards in math, through placement exams... and this is starting in about 5th grade

multivariable calculus, i would like to take more math but it doesnt seem to fit into my schedule...:rolleyes:

I just took 2 semesters of math--but NOT calculus. Calc I is only required at about 15 schools. Having taken only stats and a math logic class, I never had a problem not taking any calculus. I got into about half of the schools I applied to and it was never a problem anywhere I applied.

It's probably smart to take one semester of calculus in case you want to apply to a school that requires it, but if not, it's easily avoidable.

I would probably take Calc I and II just because it is a prereq. for tons of other classes. There are classes that aren't even in the sciences like finance and economics that use calc.

I completely disagree. There is absolutely no reason for those kids to learn about complex numbers or operators. It would be a waste, to put them to any good use you need much more technical skill and theory.

Show the kids how incredibly useful math is by putting an emphasis on modeling things in the real world with it. I believe the reason people dislike math is because you have to learn all these arbitrary rules about exponents and logs and fractions and parabolas without an understanding of why these things are so useful. You try to make kids learn about operators without any context and you will turn more kids off to it. If you show them that you can predict exactly where a marble will land or have them experience the law of large numbers, I believe you can motivate higher pursuit of math.

I completely disagree. There is absolutely no reason for those kids to learn about complex numbers or operators. It would be a waste, to put them to any good use you need much more technical skill and theory.

Show the kids how incredibly useful math is by putting an emphasis on modeling things in the real world with it. I believe the reason people dislike math is because you have to learn all these arbitrary rules about exponents and logs and fractions and parabolas without an understanding of why these things are so useful. You try to make kids learn about operators without any context and you will turn more kids off to it. If you show them that you can predict exactly where a marble will land or have them experience the law of large numbers, I believe you can motivate higher pursuit of math.

Addition and subtraction are useful, yet they do not interest children. At that age, they are just learning how to do things. I see no reason not to instill a larger basic set of skills. The misconception that .999999.... != 1 for example, is a result of students learning number manipulation, not math.

I did the same thing. I miss those upper division math classes. Oh how I miss those cheerful :hardy: math analysis and complex analysis problems.

You can NEVER have too much math.

I just took 2 semesters of math--but NOT calculus. Calc I is only required at about 15 schools. Having taken only stats and a math logic class, I never had a problem not taking any calculus. I got into about half of the schools I applied to and it was never a problem anywhere I applied.

It's probably smart to take one semester of calculus in case you want to apply to a school that requires it, but if not, it's easily avoidable.

That's the best news I've heard all day! :love:

I've had stats and College Algebra. I have to take Trig to finish up a 2nd degree and then I think I'll call it quits on the math. My first choice says that Calc is prefered but not required. I have a pretty good GPA so I might take my chances. I think that taking Calc would only hurt me. It's been 4 years since I've had math (besides stats).

Addition and subtraction are useful, yet they do not interest children. At that age, they are just learning how to do things. I see no reason not to instill a larger basic set of skills. The misconception that .999999.... != 1 for example, is a result of students learning number manipulation, not math.

Uhhhhhh hold on there buddy,

.999...... IS indeed equal to 1. It is no misconception.

LOL here come another 1000 posts that will try to debunk this. Where are the math majors at? They better get their battle gear ready.

Uhhhhhh hold on there buddy,

.999...... IS indeed equal to 1. It is no misconception.

LOL here come another 1000 posts that will try to debunk this. Where are the math majors at? They better get their battle gear ready.

Reread what I wrote. I said it is a misconception that .999.... != 1. (I used != to mean not equal to)

Never took Calc in my life :oops:

What!??

You have not lived till you have taken the partial derivative with respect to "x" of y = exp(x) repeatedly and then take the partial derivative with respect to "y" ----------> equals zero!!:laugh:

What!??

You have not lived till you have taken the partial derivative with respect to "x" of y = exp(x) repeatedly and then take the partial derivative with respect to "y" ----------> equals zero!!:laugh:

Um....you dont need to take partial derivatives. Its not a multivariable equation.

Calc 1-3, ODE, linear algebra, and statistics. Gotta love engineering :D

um, isn't algebra/trig a high school requirement?

as an engineer i had AP Calc AB/BC and was forced to take multivariate calc, differential equations, linear algebra, vector calculus, and biostatistics. it got surprisingly easier later on in the series.

Which proof are you going to give children? Infinite sum? :laugh:

Which proof are you going to give children? Infinite sum? :laugh:

proof of .99999...... = 1 is very simple.

1/3 = .33333......

3*(1/3) = 3*(.33333......)

1 = .99999......