Sephisabin

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 31, 2004
California
Status
Dentist
If your school has a pre-health advising committee that writes letters of rec, you can bypass the science LOR requirement. If not, make sure you go to your science teacher's office hours and try to get to know them. I know it's not very long, but if the teachers will probably be willing to write you a letter of rec is they feel that they know you well enough to do so.

About the Ads

syn_apse

Registered Loser
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2005
Status
Sephisabin said:
If your school has a pre-health advising committee that writes letters of rec, you can bypass the science LOR requirement.
i don't think this is correct...

pre-health committees simply take your required LORs, your biography and your committee interview and create a composite letter that is included with all of the individual LORs. they do not replace your science LOR requirements, they merely supplement them with a summary letter highlighting your best qualitites as an applicant.

adcoms prefer a committee letter so if you've got the option, definitely use it!

Sephisabin

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 31, 2004
California
Status
Dentist
syn_apse said:
i don't think this is correct...

pre-health committees simply take your required LORs, your biography and your committee interview and create a composite letter that is included with all of the individual LORs. they do not replace your science LOR requirements, they merely supplement them with a summary letter highlighting your best qualitites as an applicant.

adcoms prefer a committee letter so if you've got the option, definitely use it!
Most schools have a specific requirement of at least 2 science LORs and one from a dentist, or something of that sort. However, they all say that a committee letter can be used instead of those other letters, so the schools are willing to overlook that requirement. The thing I didn't consider was that your school's pre-health committee probably requires two science letters as well, so yeah... I stand corrected. :oops:

OP
M

makushin

10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2005
Status
Dental Student
tinman831 said:
I know you said you had a BA in Econ. but have you finished the pre-reqs for dental school yet?

ddsjymaeng

dentalschoolgogogo
10+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
well isn't it fine if we finish pre-requisite before the matriculation?

thehipster

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2006
NYC
Status
Dental Student
Some schools want requirements done before you apply, others before you matriculate

10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2004
Status
Academic Administration
tludy said:
ok, not sure what the last couple posts are about... i'm not applying this winter. just wondering what we need besides grades, DAT, and shadowing.
At least 100 SDN posts....youre on your way though. Should be golden by the time youre ready to apply.

Im not sure what everyone keeps saying about winter though...We apply during the SUMMER.

aggie.teacher

Baylor 2011
10+ Year Member
May 27, 2006
Dallas
Status
Dental Student
I got science letter from profs that only had me one semester since I just went back to get pre-reqs like you are. They were very friendly and pleased to do it for me. Just ask a lot of good questions in class and go to some office hours to get to know them. You might also start working on your personal statement because I know that took me longer than I thought. I got onto the application the year before I applied and copied and pasted the application into Word so I could start mulling over all my extracurriculars/honors/awards/etc from college since it had been a while. It's amazing what you forget after a couple of years. I'm glad I did that because I was constantly remembering little things that I could add to beef up my application. A lot of people don't worry about a lot of this stuff until the summer, but you sound more like me. The earlier you can start, the better. My application was practically ready to go by the time it was released this summer.

About the Ads