What matters more to you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nycpizza

hi hihihi
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've applied to a couple of MPH programs, a couple of prestigious name schools and some state schools. I went to a private institution for college so I am trying to go to a school that is the best option financially.

For example, GW is the most expensive school according to statistics, while if I go to SUNY Downstate, it would be very cheap because I am a NY resident. My future goals is to practice law in public health field... Medicine is also an option. .. I am definitely interested in public health however, and feel that mph school will help me steer my future ambitions.

What are your thoughts? What is more important? Earning the degree (whatever school that may be), or earning it at a "prestigious" school?

Members don't see this ad.

what exactly do you mean by "prestigeous" schools? do you mean prestigeous outside of public health? (Yale for example) or prestigeous inside public health (such as UNC/Univeristy of Washington/UMich...which are state schools?)

what exactly do you mean by "prestigeous" schools? do you mean prestigeous outside of public health? (Yale for example) or prestigeous inside public health (such as UNC/Univeristy of Washington/UMich...which are state schools?)

prestige in public health.

thanks in advance for you input! :)

I think most people would say that earning a degree at an accredited school is the most important factor in public health. While that being said, the importance of prestige is dependant upon what you would like to do after you have obtained the MPH/MHA/MHSA/MSPH...if you're planning on continuing on to a PhD/MD/JD, prestige may be an important factor as the immediate understanding of the school's strength would be a plus when you're applying...but regardless of how good your school is, you have to suceed and do very well there...so I would say that beyond the name of the school or it's place in the rankings..it's completly dependant upon how well you do at whatever institution you're at and what you do with your time.