What MCAT score do I need?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunflower18

Master of Naps
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I am a current sophomore, and I am planning on taking the MCAT this summer so that I can apply to med school in June 2014. However, I will not take Physics 2 or Bio 2 until next year (although my school covers all of general bio in one course, so this is less of a big deal). I know that this is recommended against. In a perfect world, I would have both of those classes taken along with Biochemistry before taking the MCAT. However, I wanted a whole summer to study, and I want to go directly from undergrad to medical school. I'm pretty set on at least trying to study this summer and seeing how it goes.

So here I am, making a game plan for this summer. I plan to self teach myself Physics 2 material. I have the textbook that my university uses for Physics 2 as well as a Physics 2 syllabus, so I hope to work through the textbook the way the class typically would. I am also meeting with a Physics faculty member to talk to them about problems they'd suggest or strategies for optimal success in self studying.

That being said, if I get to a few weeks before my test and my practice tests aren't showing what I want them to, I will absolutely cancel my MCAT and wait to take it in May 2014 while studying during spring semester. But I wanted to at least try, as it's totally possible that I may be able to get a good score through studying this summer. But, again, I could also not. Hard to say!

I know that I'm a ways off, but I wanted to start getting a sense of it -- what MCAT scores should I be getting on my practice tests a few weeks before my MCAT in order to have a good chance of doing well on the MCAT and, subsequently, getting into med school? My concern is that my GPA is rather high, and I don't want to get a low or lowish MCAT score that then makes my GPA look like a fluke. I don't want years of hard work in undergrad to be all for naught!

Major: Chemistry
sGPA: 4.0, cGPA: 3.98 (looks like I'll get a 4.0 this semester also)
ECs:
ED scribe (will be 1.5 years by June 2014, 20-30 hrs/wk)
Bio lab TA (1 or 2 semesters, 5-8 hrs/wk)
EMS responder (will be 2.5 years by June 2014, 3 hrs/wk)
EMS leader (will be 2 years by June 2014, 2 hrs/wk)
Hospital volunteer (6 years, 550 hours total)
Shadowing (200 hours total)
Volunteer, teaching (3 different organizations, 2 years, 3 hrs/wk)
Tour guide (will be 2 years by June 2014, 3 hrs/wk)
Leadership job (1.5 years, 8-10 hrs/wk)
Summer bench research (summer, 30 hrs/wk)
Academic year clinicalish research (will be 2 years by June 2014, 5 hrs/wk)
Posters and presentations for academic year research (various)
Graphic design intern for medical organization (summer and winter break, 15 hrs/wk)
Published poetry (various)

Members don't see this ad.

Check out the AMCAS GPA/MCAT grid. The MCAT score you want to target will also depend on the schools you're considering.

Edit: you've been around for a while/ have posted quite a lot; how do you not already have an idea of what MCAT score you're shooting for? :confused:

The highest score you can manage. There is no upper-bound limit.

[/obvious answer]

Members don't see this ad :)
Check out the AMCAS GPA/MCAT grid. The MCAT score you want to target will also depend on the schools you're considering.

Edit: you've been around for a while/ have posted quite a lot; how do you not already have an idea of what MCAT score you're shooting for? :confused:

My main concern is that I see people with 4.0 and 31, and some posters make it seem like that is too low of a score to be congruent with such a high GPA. I wanted to know what that arbitrary line was. What is too low to make sense with my GPA? A chart doesn't really tell me that, nor do I really have an intuition for it. I am aiming for a 34+. But I wanted to know the lower limit for my GPA.

I think your goal should be a minimum of 11 in every category. But your goal should probably be 35+ which would evidence your hard earned GPA was due to time, effort, and intelligence.

I think you're being pretty foolish to take a high-stakes career-defining exam without the proper preparation. It says to me that there's a distinct lack of wisdom.

Everything else about you seems great, so don't muck this up for the sake of instant gratification.

Hey guys,

So I am a current sophomore, and I am planning on taking the MCAT this summer so that I can apply to med school in June 2014. However, I will not take Physics 2 or Bio 2 until next year (although my school covers all of general bio in one course, so this is less of a big deal). I know that this is recommended against. In a perfect world, I would have both of those classes taken along with Biochemistry before taking the MCAT. However, I wanted a whole summer to study, and I want to go directly from undergrad to medical school. I'm pretty set on at least trying to study this summer and seeing how it goes.

So here I am, making a game plan for this summer. I plan to self teach myself Physics 2 material. I have the textbook that my university uses for Physics 2 as well as a Physics 2 syllabus, so I hope to work through the textbook the way the class typically would. I am also meeting with a Physics faculty member to talk to them about problems they'd suggest or strategies for optimal success in self studying.

That being said, if I get to a few weeks before my test and my practice tests aren't showing what I want them to, I will absolutely cancel my MCAT and wait to take it in May 2014 while studying during spring semester. But I wanted to at least try, as it's totally possible that I may be able to get a good score through studying this summer. But, again, I could also not. Hard to say!

I know that I'm a ways off, but I wanted to start getting a sense of it -- what MCAT scores should I be getting on my practice tests a few weeks before my MCAT in order to have a good chance of doing well on the MCAT and, subsequently, getting into med school? My concern is that my GPA is rather high, and I don't want to get a low or lowish MCAT score that then makes my GPA look like a fluke. I don't want years of hard work in undergrad to be all for naught!

Major: Chemistry
sGPA: 4.0, cGPA: 3.98 (looks like I'll get a 4.0 this semester also)
ECs:
ED scribe (will be 1.5 years by June 2014, 20-30 hrs/wk)
Bio lab TA (1 or 2 semesters, 5-8 hrs/wk)
EMS responder (will be 2.5 years by June 2014, 3 hrs/wk)
EMS leader (will be 2 years by June 2014, 2 hrs/wk)
Hospital volunteer (6 years, 550 hours total)
Shadowing (200 hours total)
Volunteer, teaching (3 different organizations, 2 years, 3 hrs/wk)
Tour guide (will be 2 years by June 2014, 3 hrs/wk)
Leadership job (1.5 years, 8-10 hrs/wk)
Summer bench research (summer, 30 hrs/wk)
Academic year clinicalish research (will be 2 years by June 2014, 5 hrs/wk)
Posters and presentations for academic year research (various)
Graphic design intern for medical organization (summer and winter break, 15 hrs/wk)
Published poetry (various)

Well, just because you have a near 4.0, doesn't necessarily mean that you are "expected" to score a 37+...there are plenty of people who have so-so gpas and strong mcats, vice versa. I think the main thing yougotta do is make sure you get at least a 10 on each of the sections, and then you just study the best you can. I only say this because it looks like you haven't started studying for the mcat...and it's not like a test where you waltz in and just take it and bam you're in med school.

That being said, it all depends on where you want to go. you have a decent set of activities going on, so really just do everything you need to do to get a strong mcat score. I think goro is right in that your strategy is a little premature...but at the end of the day, it's your decision, not ours.

I guess I don't understand how SDN expects all people with 4.0+ to score 35+.

There is a difference between an expectation and a goal. For a person with a 4.0 setting a goal of 35+ is reasonable. However, if you look at the chart many people with 4.0s get between 30-34 and those people still have a high acceptance rate.

A score of 30 is good enough. That score, combined with your GPA and ECs would suggest to an ADCOM that you're bright enough to succeed in medical school and that your 4.0 is a result of sustained effort rather than sheer brilliance.

A 30 won't get you into Harvard or Hopkins, but with your strong GPA and ECs, it is highly likely (75% +) to get you into a US MD program somewhere, assuming you apply early, appropriately and broadly.

If you won't be satisfied with anything but a top-10 or top-20 school (which is absolutely not necessary), then shoot for that 35, and postpone your test until later if your practice scores aren't consistently in that ballpark.

I think your goal should be a minimum of 11 in every category. But your goal should probably be 35+ which would evidence your hard earned GPA was due to time, effort, and intelligence.

That makes sense, and I think that's a good goal to have. Did that number come from somewhere, or is it just sort of an arbitrary cut off?

I think you're being pretty foolish to take a high-stakes career-defining exam without the proper preparation. It says to me that there's a distinct lack of wisdom.

Everything else about you seems great, so don't muck this up for the sake of instant gratification.

There's more to it than just instant gratification... It makes sense to go straight through without a gap year for me, my interests, my SO, etc. I honestly don't think I can study for the MCAT during the school year either, as I work about 30 hours a week on average year round as a scribe. That plus school plus MCAT would be catastrophic, I think. So really, I only am able to study either this summer with not all the pre-reqs, or next summer and applying late or taking a gap year. Do you not think it's a good idea to at least try this summer? Three months of studying 50 hours a week? I plan to take it mid-August -- if by August 1st, my practice test scores aren't consistently 34+, I would stop studying and postpone. Isn't it worth it to at least try?

This isn't rhetorical, by the way, I'm honestly curious. I realize that doing that wouldn't be perfectly ideal, as it'd be "wasting" prep resources and a summer. However, I won't be doing nothing, as I will continue to work during the summer. Your thoughts on this would be great.

Well, just because you have a near 4.0, doesn't necessarily mean that you are "expected" to score a 37+...there are plenty of people who have so-so gpas and strong mcats, vice versa. I think the main thing yougotta do is make sure you get at least a 10 on each of the sections, and then you just study the best you can. I only say this because it looks like you haven't started studying for the mcat...and it's not like a test where you waltz in and just take it and bam you're in med school.

That being said, it all depends on where you want to go. you have a decent set of activities going on, so really just do everything you need to do to get a strong mcat score. I think goro is right in that your strategy is a little premature...but at the end of the day, it's your decision, not ours.

Definitely not planning on doing any waltzing! I plan to study for 3 full months, 50 hours a week following SN2ED's schedule as well as taking a TPR prep course. Thanks for your perspective!!

I guess I don't understand how SDN expects all people with 4.0+ to score 35+.

It's stressful... It almost makes me wish I had a 3.7 or something, because I feel like a lower MCAT score wouldn't be seen as negatively and a high MCAT score would be more impressive as opposed to now, where it's almost expected. I'm not sure if that's just SDN, or if it holds true in the real world.

There is a difference between an expectation and a goal. For a person with a 4.0 setting a goal of 35+ is reasonable. However, if you look at the chart many people with 4.0s get between 30-34 and those people still have a high acceptance rate.

That's true.

A score of 30 is good enough. That score, combined with your GPA and ECs would suggest to an ADCOM that you're bright enough to succeed in medical school and that your 4.0 is a result of sustained effort rather than sheer brilliance.

A 30 won't get you into Harvard or Hopkins, but with your strong GPA and ECs, it is highly likely (75% +) to get you into a US MD program somewhere, assuming you apply early, appropriately and broadly.

If you won't be satisfied with anything but a top-10 or top-20 school (which is absolutely not necessary), then shoot for that 35, and postpone your test until later if your practice scores aren't consistently in that ballpark.

I'm not sure where I would like to go. Really, anywhere that I can get in. A top 10 or 20 would be great, sure, but I am not really setting my sights on anywhere until I get my MCAT score and have a full picture of what I look like as an applicant. Thanks for your perspective -- it definitely makes sense to me.

The reason I said 11 in each category is the fact that it would give you a very balanced 33, which is good. Many schools are up to a 31-32 average MCAT score for accepted applicants. Based on that alone, I would be shooting for a minimum of 31-32 regardless of my GPA. Even if you had a 3.75, I would still be shooting for 11/11/11 but the higher the better.