What MCAT score will get you an interview at pretty much every school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notepreocupes

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What MCAT score will get you an interview at pretty much every school? providing your gpa is passable.

Members don't see this ad.

A 45? Really though, no such number seems to exist. I've seen candidates with MCATS >40, who didn't get interviews at all the schools they applied to (and yes, their GPA was passable). They interviewed at most, but not all.

For example I did a quick mdaps search for mcat >40: http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=8197

A 42 and a 4.0...still didn't get interviews everywhere.

Last edited:
i'll shoot for 45. oh, ps. how significant is the writing part. i've heard its not quite as important as the other 3.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'll shoot for 45. oh, ps. how significant is the writing part. i've heard its not quite as important as the other 3.

Yeah, the writing sample isn't that important.. just try not to get the J.

Last edited:
It's important enough that you want it to be the best it can be. :p It CAN tank you if you're flippant about it. I think most view it as not as "important" because it's not as quantifiable so it's hard to really say how much of an effect it has. But it's really the only part of the primary where you get to "speak" to the adcom, and it's your chance to argue your case for why you'll be a great doctor. It'd be somewhat silly of you not to make the best of that opportunity right?

I think he was referring to the WS on the MCAT not the PS on the primary app.

It doesn't exist. If admissions was all GPA and MCAT, it'd be done via computer. They might screen you out for having a low MCAT, but a high MCAT doesn't give you any special rights or privileges.

It doesn't exist. If admissions was all GPA and MCAT, it'd be done via computer. They might screen you out for having a low MCAT, but a high MCAT doesn't give you any special rights or privileges.

Unfortuantely (or fortunately, depending on the person) this is what I've found as well.

Absolute dealbreakers that I have heard of from specific schools: these are items that will cause that school to not consider a candidate further, regardless of anything else:

MCAT with any section score below 7, 8, 9, 10 (3 different schools)
Overall MCAT below 38 (state school, that's the MCAT requirement for OOS)
No clinical experience
No volunteer experience
No shadowing experience
Application sent in too late (toward the end they may have 1000 applications for 5 interview slots, per one school)
Overall GPA below 3.65

My suggestion before going for that 40 MCAT score is to make sure all areas above are fully addressed.

that was sarcasm

You know, if you're going to set a goal for yourself, why not set the highest one?! If you work hard and push yourself towards something, you may just be able to achieve it!

Agree. The MCAT is BUT ONE PART of your med school application. If you tank ANY other part, your chances of getting looked at can still be very bleak. This is not just a by the numbers game. you need the numbers AND the other stuff too. Because when schools are sorting through 10,000 applications, they are looking for any reason to cull the herd a bit.

its really not important at all. I've heard that numerous times from admissions people at various schools, Furthermore, straight from USF's FAQ page.

What is the most important part of the MCAT? Does anybody look at my writing sample?
All parts of the MCAT are important. Committees look particularly carefully at the verbal reasoning score because that is something that is not taught in medical school and medical school involves a lot of reading and fast comprehension. The admissions committee at USF looks at your score on the writing sample as only a tertiary factor in the admissions decision.

thats basically the polite way of saying "we dont give a ****." This is only one school, but i dont imagine it would be an importnat factor anywhere. As long as you dont get a J (i think thats like the lowest 1% of test takers) then dont sweat it. These are the requirements for a J...

"These essays demonstrate a lack of understanding of the writing assignment. There may be serious problems with organization. Ideas may not be developed. There may be so many errors in mechanics, usage, or sentence structure that the writer's ideas are hard to follow."

My advice, think if the WS as a 1 hour break from the actual MCAT. its actually quite relaxing.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not all just a numbers game. You could be a 4.0/40+ MCAT with no healthcare or volunteer experience and you're out over the person with a 3.5/30 MCAT and great ECs with little to no effort my friend.

I know if I were on the admissions committee at a school I would automatically interview anyone who applied with a total MCAT of lower than 12, just so I could get a good laugh every once in a while.

I know if I were on the admissions committee at a school I would automatically interview anyone who applied with a total MCAT of lower than 6, just so I could get a good laugh every once in a while.

That confirms my theory: oranges are sour.

I know if I were on the admissions committee at a school I would automatically interview anyone who applied with a total MCAT of lower than 12, just so I could get a good laugh every once in a while.

Orange you a premed who hasn't gotten into med school yet?

Unfortuantely (or fortunately, depending on the person) this is what I've found as well.

Absolute dealbreakers that I have heard of from specific schools: these are items that will cause that school to not consider a candidate further, regardless of anything else:

No clinical experience
No volunteer experience
No shadowing experience
Application sent in too late (toward the end they may have 1000 applications for 5 interview slots, per one school)
Overall GPA below 3.65

My suggestion before going for that 40 MCAT score is to make sure all areas above are fully addressed.

Hey so did you list them out in the order of what counts more or is it more like a random list? My overall GPA sucks(3.1) so i am hoping that a good MCAT will offset it a bit....

I admit I loled but I think there are plenty of laughs with people who are fine on paper. Hence, the need for the interviews.

Wow... Didn't know that.

No clinical experience
No volunteer experience
No shadowing experience
Overall GPA below 3.65
They are apparently all "deal breakers" for those certain schools, so order doesn't really matter. Though, I think High MCAT+Low GPA tends to due better than Low MCAT + High GPA, because MCATs are supposed to be a sort of equalizer.

Bottom line, there is no one aspect of your application that will guarantee you an interview or acceptance anywhere.

The MCAT can open the door for you, but it's not going to seal the deal.

Wow... Didn't know that.

They are apparently all "deal breakers" for those certain schools, so order doesn't really matter. Though, I think High MCAT+Low GPA tends to due better than Low MCAT + High GPA, because MCATs are supposed to be a sort of equalizer.

I disagree. GPA shows your strength over many years.

MCAT shows the results of a single test.

Both are important, but I think it is misleading to say that a 3.3, 38 is better off than 3.8, 30

Both are important, but I think it is misleading to say that a 3.3, 38 is better off than 3.8, 30

Oh, I'm not saying one's better or worse, I'm just noting a trend that I tend to see on SDN profiles/threads. That's all :) Keep in mind that's a small sample size of course. Personally, I"d prefer a more heavily weighted GPA myself, hehe. Additionally, sometimes a low GPA can be explained by an astounding story or extenuating circumstance, but it's harder to justify a low MCAT since you can retake it if something terrible/unexpected happened the first time.

Also, a 3.3/38 vs 3.8/30 isn't quite a fair comparison in my estimation because a 31 is about average MCAT matriculant score (at least that's what I was told when I applied) so a 30 isn't really a low MCAT score for entry. But the average GPA was about a 3.6 I believe, so a 3.3 is significantly lower.

Haha, I'm not an adcom, so it's all speculation on my part :)

Maybe a 3.3/38 vs a 3.8/28

Last edited:

While I don't think that anyone can quibble over specific numbers, there are many more people with a 3.9+ than a 39 on the MCAT. For that reason alone, (completely regardless of whether the MCAT is indicative of ability), it makes sense for the admissions committees to use the MCAT as a favorable marker. Higher MCATs are simply rarer. There are probably hundreds more (literally) high GPA students applying to any given school than those with a an MCAT above 39.

The bottom line is that you have to be solid in all categories, or red flags are going to be raised on your application. If one Adcom member is able to look past those flags, then that's awesome. The argument over "what is more important" has been hashed inside and outside and beaten over the head with a stick a countless number of times. The result?
We still don't know.

I'm of the opinion that once you reach a certain threshold in terms of numbers, your non-academic accomplishments and life experiences become much more important. What are those numbers? Again I don't know. But I'd guess it's something like a 3.7 and 35 on the MCAT.

Numbers get you in the door, but they do not even come close to sealing the deal.

So is it misleading to say a 3.3 38 is better than a 3.8 30? Well it definitely is, but not for the reasons you might be thinking. It's misleading because we have no idea what other attributes those applicants have...Is there a valid reason for the 3.3? An upward trend? What about extracurriculars or commitment to medicine through volunteering work? What about a very strong reason for personal motivation?

The bottom line is that you have to be solid in all categories, or red flags are going to be raised on your application...I'm of the opinion that once you reach a certain threshold in terms of numbers, your non-academic accomplishments and life experiences become much more important. What are those numbers? Again I don't know. But I'd guess it's something like a 3.7 and 35 on the MCAT.

If the OP was asking a serious question, I agree here with the 35, but I would add that in combo with a 3.8, you should not be screened at many schools at all (there are exceptions like Michigan for OOS)...with a 3.8/35, if you fail to get interviews, it will be for reasons other than your GPA and MCAT with just a few exceptions (Michigan OOS)...

No clinical experience
No volunteer experience
No shadowing experience
Overall GPA below 3.65

I don't know where some of those came from, but as far as medical schools in general a lot of those are not necessarily true. The big one being the idea that anything below a 38 will keep you out. Frankly there are very few schools where that is the case, and not to be a jerk but you probably are not going to be going to one of those schools. The GPA I guess it depends on the MCAT score. The volunteer work sure, the shadowing why not, the clinical experience not so much.
The general rule: a 27 will be enough to at least get you an interview or two-- probably at state schools, not private-- and a 30 is what you need-- minimum-- to get in (though some get in with less), because that's when you're projected to pass your board exams.