1. As part of our nonprofit mission, SDN supports medical student publications, websites and blogs. Students with blogs are encouraged to apply for our publisher stipend. It's a small amount to help defray costs and encourage open discussion and exchange of ideas. Contact: [email protected]
  2. It’s Test Prep Week! Visit the Test Prep Forums to learn about test prep products and services, ask questions in test-related AMA threads, take advantage of exclusive SDN member discounts, and enter to win free stuff!
Whether you’re preparing for the USMLE, COMLEX, NBDE or APMLE, Test Prep Week Exhibitors can help you ace your boards!

What means "new onset hyperglycemia"?

Discussion in 'Step I' started by limarodessa, May 30, 2012.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. limarodessa

limarodessa 2+ Year Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Help me understand, please. What means "new onset hyperglycemia"? - I cannot find this definition in the textbooks.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3284518/

Also - what means "new onset diabetes"?

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Valadi

Valadi 5+ Year Member

Aug 1, 2010
    "New onset" means it has not been seen before.

"Hyperglycemia" is elevated glucose.
    "Diabetes" is an endocrine disorder characterized by lack of insulin production (type 1) or insulin resistance (type 2) and, therefore, hyperglycemia.

Language barriers are a bitch. Maybe if I was trying to read a Chinese medical journal I'd have similar questions.

4. Mass Effect

Mass Effect 5+ Year Member

Feb 23, 2012
    It means the patient never had it before. If you're treating someone who has no medical problems and all of a sudden this person's glucose level is elevated, it would be called "new onset" hyperglycemia.