what med schools require calc 1 + calc 2?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by anna02, Jun 10, 2002.

1. anna02

anna02 Member

I don't need calc 2 for my major, but am wondering if I should take it so that my options will be greater later on when I actually apply to medical school. I know of a couple schools that require a full year, but how many can you all name?

Anna

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Doctor Octopus

Doctor Octopus Hospitalist

Resident [Any Field]
    Same here...I took Calc I and not Calc II.
    I do have a year of math, though.
    Can anyone help us?

4. LizardKing

LizardKing Veteran Member

5. Weeble

Weeble Senior Member

Duke also.

6. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor

Attending Physician
    I think most med schools require 1 full year of math. I think that would mean Calc 1 and Calc 2 right?

7. UrSexyLatinDr

UrSexyLatinDr Single and looking =o)~

A lot of med schools require a year of math, some suggest Calc 1. Plus a statistics course.

Eduardo

8. Mansoor

Mansoor Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by LizardKing:
    <strong>harvard</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Harvard is one semester of calc, and another of math. Can be statistics...

9. Jameson

Jameson Member

Hey all,
    Harvard and Duke require a full year off calc, so for Universities with three quarters that is equal to Calc I,II, III. The guy I spoke with at Harvard, Jason Graff, said too bad for those who are trimesters schools they need a full year. Kinda sucky....
    Jameson

10. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003] Platinum Member

11. anna02

anna02 Member

Thanks guys.
    Also, what schools want calc-based physics?

12. The Philosopher

The Philosopher Senior Member

No schools want calc based physics.

Actually, according to last year's MSAR, only 23 schools required atleast 1 semester of calculus, and an additional 17 require some math.

Off the top of my head, Duke, Harvard, Wash U, and Johns Hopkins all require 1 year of calc (for JHU, the 2nd calc course can be subtituted by stats).

13. PrincessCKNY

PrincessCKNY Crown Royal Member

Hi! This is my first time posting...yay!

Anyways, it seems like (for schools w/ quarter systems) that most med schools like for you to take two quarters of calculus and one quarter of calculus or statistics.

I am having issues because that first quarter of calculus was fulfilled by an AP test, which Davis and UCLA do NOT accept. So, I am forced to go to a JC and take that first quarter of calculus again. Lots of bitterness here about the AP test hype.

Hope this helps!

14. laviddee

laviddee Senior Member

that 1 yr of calc can be covered if we took the AP Calculus BC test right? i hope so!!!!
    dave

15. altaskier

altaskier Altaholics Anonymous 92'

I think Wash U in St. Louis.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. PrincessCKNY

PrincessCKNY Crown Royal Member

The deal w/ the AP tests is that your college will accept any and all AP credit (granted you score high enough) to substitute for the corresponding college classes in order for you to graduate. However, when you begin to apply for medical schools, some do not accept AP credit to fulfill their pre-requisites for entrance into medical school (ie. UCLA and Davis).

I happened to have taken only the second part of calculus (first part w/ AP) and a statistics course (instead of 2 calc + 1 stats, or 3 calc), which may be enough for some medical schools. Some schools are pickier and want 2 calculus courses. See the dilemma?

Good luck!