What med schools to apply to for a Canadian engineer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kiara

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, Im a new member here and need a LOT of help applying to schools! Im a Canadian elec. engineering graduate and will be applying to med schools in the fall. I really dont know which ones are good/which ones I should apply to. I would like to apply to a few relatively easy uni's and a few good ones. Im also open to the DO path. I have a 3.75 gpa in the last two years of engg and the first two were really bad (cumulative 3.2). I also did an extra year of science prereq courses, I think its what you guys call postbacc to bring up my GPA.

Anyway, if anyone has any advice/any information on what schools I should apply to in the US it would be great.

Also, I am also a bit concerned about timelines as I will be writing the MCAT in July, and Im planning to leave the country till December. Are the interviews held before December?

Thanks SO much :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, Im a new member here and need a LOT of help applying to schools! Im a Canadian elec. engineering graduate and will be applying to med schools in the fall. I really dont know which ones are good/which ones I should apply to. I would like to apply to a few relatively easy uni's and a few good ones. Im also open to the DO path. I have a 3.75 gpa in the last two years of engg and the first two were really bad (cumulative 3.2). I also did an extra year of science prereq courses, I think its what you guys call postbacc to bring up my GPA.

Anyway, if anyone has any advice/any information on what schools I should apply to in the US it would be great.

Also, I am also a bit concerned about timelines as I will be writing the MCAT in July, and Im planning to leave the country till December. Are the interviews held before December?

Thanks SO much :)

um i wont leave the country if I were you. Before Dec you are looking at more than 50% of the acceptances/interviews are already given out. SO i would not definitely leave....I would try to ace the MCAT, really without the mcat to give you honest advice is impossible. All I can tell you is, with mediocre MCAts you will need to do a post bacc to pull up that GPA.

I am also Canadian and bascially applied to school who's websties said that they accept Canadians and had a relatievly large class size and were mostly private. State schools I think rarely take Canadians, unless you have wicked stats. Stick with some decent private schools. To contradict what i just said, I know that Wayne State in Detroit, which is a state school, accepts tonnes of Canadains, one reason being because they are the largest med school in the US. Just check the MSAR.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Im a Canadian elec. engineering graduate and will be applying to med schools in the fall. I really dont know which ones are good/which ones I should apply to. I would like to apply to a few relatively easy uni's and a few good ones. Im also open to the DO path. I have a 3.75 gpa in the last two years of engg and the first two were really bad (cumulative 3.2). I also did an extra year of science prereq courses, I think its what you guys call postbacc to bring up my GPA. Anyway, if anyone has any advice/any information on what schools I should apply to in the US it would be great.

The admissions committees will consider the difficulty of your program and improvement in the last two years, but a 3.2 cumulative GPA is going to close a lot of doors. Apply early (e.g., July) and broadly (e.g., 30-35 schools). Keep in mind that some schools have quotas for international applicants, while other schools require permanent residency or citizenship.

Schools that accept international applicants often say they have the same academic requirements for us, but realize there are lots of international applicants applying for very few spots. You need to be way above the average matriculant to be competitive. It is a different game for us.

Wayne State University, Rosalind Franklin University, Medical College of Wisconsin, New York Medical College, Albany, University of Vermont, Tufts University, Creighton University, St. Louis University, Albert Einstein, George Washington University, Jefferson, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Wake Forest University, and Boston University are some of the MD schools you should consider. Wayne and Rosalind Franklin have a history of accepting a decent number of Canadians every year.

I don't know what kind of extracurricular activities you have, but unless you won an Olympic medal, saved a burning orphanage, found the cure for Cancer, graduated with a Ph.D. in four years, or did something ridiculously awesome, most MD schools will reject you outright. The first point of screening is often the GPA and MCAT, and if your numbers are not competitive the game is over. The DO schools tend to view applicants more holistically and are generally more flexible, I strongly encourage you to apply.

Also, there is no dichotomy between "easy" low quality schools and "good" high quality ones. American med schools are all accredited by the LCME and meet standards for education and training. Depending on your lifestyle you might prefer one location (e.g., suburban) over another location (e.g., inner city). Some schools have better "reputation" but I don't think that matters too much. Regardless you should be grateful for any acceptance, anywhere.

Interviews are held from October until April. Unless you absolutely have to leave the country, I recommend you sit and wait.

Hey,

Sorry I shouldve given you more details before asking for help!

So I have taken the MCAT Aug 2004, and Im retaking it this july b/c my verbal marks were low and I think my scores are too old for some schools. My score was 31R with a 7 in verbal...

I'm also doing an extra year of sciences to pull up my GPA and complete the prereqs...with that my gpa would be 3.8/4 over the last 3 yrs of uni and then about 2.7 or something for my first two yrs of engineering. Not sure if that is what you call a postbacc...

I have also received advice from a few people telling me that I should apply in April with my previous MCAT scores and finish my interviews early...and not leave the country before they're done...would you agree? When are most interviews scheduled?

Also, still confused about which ones to apply to....I guess the MSAR would be my best bet!

I am also Canadian and bascially applied to school who's websties said that they accept Canadians and had a relatievly large class size and were mostly private. State schools I think rarely take Canadians, unless you have wicked stats. Stick with some decent private schools. To contradict what i just said, I know that Wayne State in Detroit, which is a state school, accepts tonnes of Canadains, one reason being because they are the largest med school in the US. Just check the MSAR.:)
Hey,

I looked up your profile and noticed that most of your interviews are in Feb/March...do you mind telling me when you gave in your primaries for these schools? p.s. im also at mac :)

Hey,

Sorry I shouldve given you more details before asking for help!

So I have taken the MCAT Aug 2004, and Im retaking it this july b/c my verbal marks were low and I think my scores are too old for some schools. My score was 31R with a 7 in verbal...
:)

Yes a good idea. if your GPA was higher than 3.5 I would have said no, but since its less, go for it. but only do it if you will improve.....with extra science courses and maturity you should ace all your sections.

I'm also doing an extra year of sciences to pull up my GPA and complete the prereqs...with that my gpa would be 3.8/4 over the last 3 yrs of uni and then about 2.7 or something for my first two yrs of engineering. Not sure if that is what you call a postbacc...

Yes thats what its called. There are other formal postbacc programs such as SMP. please look here for more info on them: CLICK HERE

I have also received advice from a few people telling me that I should apply in April with my previous MCAT scores and finish my interviews early...and not leave the country before they're done...would you agree? When are most interviews scheduled?...Also, still confused about which ones to apply to....I guess the MSAR would be my best bet!

Yes, good advice. Interviews dates depends when you are completed. I got most of mine Sept-Oct. I was accepted by Oct 25th, and my top choice school by Nov 2nd and as a result decline all my nov/dec ones.

check my pm, I have given you which schools to apply and date info...

Hey,

I looked up your profile and noticed that most of your interviews are in Feb/March...do you mind telling me when you gave in your primaries for these schools? p.s. im also at mac :)

I submitted primaries super late--in Mid October. All secondaries done by early to mid december.

Your PM box was full. I tried to send you a message. What year and program are you at Mac? I am fourth year Biochem.