What medical schools have study abroad programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tucan41

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Does anyone happen to have a list of the US medical schools that have study abroad programs? Is it common to all medical schools, or just a select few? I know it is possible to study abroad during some summer months, or even to volunteer there during the 3rd/4th years of school, but I just wanted to know whether someone could provide a list of the schools that have these opportunities... it will really influence where I end up applying!

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

There are programs that have Global Health projects that students can partake in. I am not personally familiar with the programs, but a Google search showed that they are available at Temple, Harvard, Dartmouth, Rosalind Franklin and others.

Many schools offer the time to have some experiences abroad. From what I've seen Penn, Columbia and Dartmouth have relatively strong global health presences and also offer students funding.

All the above said, US schools don't let you actually "study" abroad in the sense of required rotations or your preclinical education. Going on international trips is usually over the summer/elective rotation.