WHAT MEDSCHOOLS WANT

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by tra202, Nov 28, 2001.

1. I was wondering if y'all knew this: do med schools, especially the good ones read essays etc before asking for interview or review them after interview and call on the basis of grades/mcats
    Also
    the later your call for an interview, the less chances you have, right?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jdub

jdub Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    to be quite honest, i don't think that even the medschools really know this one, BUT some things that really seem to get people in are:

high gpa
    good mcat
    research and being published

outside of that, i am sure that one's essay has to be decent and other extra curriculars probably always help out a bit

there are always acceptions though, so attitude probably also has a lot to do with it.

most schools seem to do quite a bit of screening off of numbers, a solid essay never hurts, and generally speaking, because of rolling admissions, the later one is interviewed, there are less spots available, so statistically speaking one has less of a chance of being accepted.

best of luck

4. SMW

SMW Grand Member

It depends on the school. Some schools put a lot of weight on the essays while deciding who to interview, others go solely on numbers, and some are in between. If there's a particular school you're wondering about, do a search on this forum, and you can probably find some discussion about your question with regard to particular schools. Welcome to SDN, and best of luck! :D