Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

WHAT MEDSCHOOLS WANT

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by tra202, Nov 28, 2001.

1. I was wondering if y'all knew this: do med schools, especially the good ones read essays etc before asking for interview or review them after interview and call on the basis of grades/mcats
    Also
    the later your call for an interview, the less chances you have, right?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jdub

jdub Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    to be quite honest, i don't think that even the medschools really know this one, BUT some things that really seem to get people in are:

high gpa
    good mcat
    research and being published

outside of that, i am sure that one's essay has to be decent and other extra curriculars probably always help out a bit

there are always acceptions though, so attitude probably also has a lot to do with it.

most schools seem to do quite a bit of screening off of numbers, a solid essay never hurts, and generally speaking, because of rolling admissions, the later one is interviewed, there are less spots available, so statistically speaking one has less of a chance of being accepted.

best of luck

4. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

It depends on the school. Some schools put a lot of weight on the essays while deciding who to interview, others go solely on numbers, and some are in between. If there's a particular school you're wondering about, do a search on this forum, and you can probably find some discussion about your question with regard to particular schools. Welcome to SDN, and best of luck! :D