MD What more should I do/what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moonlight93

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I finally just signed up for SDN after years of lurking its pages ;), and I already have some questions. I want to know if I'm on the right track to getting accepted into medical school with my current plan, or if I should do more or change what I've currently planned. Some background information on me:

Degrees earned: A.A. and A.S. from my community college in May 2015 (spent three years at CC), transferred to university to obtain my B.S. in Kinesiology, graduated this May 2017 (spent two years at my university)
Cumulative GPA: 3.86
BCPM GPA: 3.78
Employment history: part-time courtesy clerk/cashier for a grocery store from January 2011- February 2013; part-time scheduling support clerk for a retirement insurance firm from March 2013- June 2017
Extracurricular activities done in undergrad: volunteered at my former church for 3.5 years as a middle school youth group leader, volunteered for three summers as a Vacation Bible School teacher for my former church, internship (as part of my degree program's requirements to graduate) as a coach for underserved fourth and fifth graders in a physical education/health education after-school program during my last semester this year, was a lab assistant for a General Biology II lab in Summer 2014 at my former community college, got involved with a med school mentoring program this last semester at my former university in which I have a third year (now beginning her fourth year) med student mentoring me

About 2.5 months ago, I moved with my family to Texas and since then have been working as an ER scribe full time. I was planning on continuing to do this for the next few years, start studying for the MCAT in January 2018 all throughout next year, take the MCAT in January 2019, get my results, get my application together and send it out, hopefully go out on interviews throughout 2019 and get accepted somewhere to begin med school in Fall 2020. I also am hoping to take one last online stats class to fulfill that prerequisite sometime next year. The entire time while preparing/applying for med school, I was planning to continue scribing full time. This means that by the time I begin med school in 2020, I'll have scribed for 3 years full time.

Is my current plan a good one? Or should I do more for experience besides scribing? Should I try to do other things on top of scribing, like volunteering on ambulances or stuff like that? Or would my scribing experience alone suffice?

And with my current stats, what MCAT score should I aim for when it comes time to take it? My hope is to get into one of the Texas med schools given that I'm now living here, with my top choice being UT Southwestern.

I know this was a lot to read, so thanks for sticking with it! Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated. Thank you! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know nothing about Texas schools or their process or requirements. But one thing you should look into, no matter where you apply, is if the school
will accept online courses for prereqs or at all. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app