What motivates you for med school? Be specific!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kofi Darko

EverywhereIgoI
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
!

Members don't see this ad.

Ultimately, I want a job that with financial security so I can provide for my family. Also, I want something that will be interesting enough for me to spend 30 years of my life involved in. I don't want to be switching around and moving to different cities trying to find work. I will admit that the prestige and money are surely big factors in my interest, but if I'm going to spend 8 years in school after I graduate college, you bet I better be making some nice money. I know that Investment Bankers can make a lot more with less time invested, but honestly, that field has zero interest to me and I would be doing it solely for the money. I can't see myself doing anything outside of the Medical Field for a career.

Reactions: 3 users
Ultimately, I want a job that with financial security so I can provide for my family. Also, I want something that will be interesting enough for me to spend 30 years of my life involved in. I don't want to be switching around and moving to different cities trying to find work. I will admit that the prestige and money are surely big factors in my interest, but if I'm going to spend 8 years in school after I graduate college, you bet I better be making some nice money. I know that Investment Bankers can make a lot more with less time invested, but honestly, that field has zero interest to me and I would be doing it solely for the money. I can't see myself doing anything outside of the Medical Field for a career.
Your typical investment banker doesn't make more money and they work longer hours doing soul crushing work. The green is NOT greener on the other side in any way shape or form. Ya I'm sure the top investment bankers make tons, but you can't compare your average MD/DO to the top end IB guy. There are people in medicine making >1 million/year and some making >2-3 mil too. It's very common for IB guys who make 200-300k/year to work >80 hours a week for long stretches. Same goes for anyone who's making that kind of money or more in the world of finance.

Anyway for me, nothing else I'd rather do and I love medicine so this takes the cake.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Write your PS on your own! :p

Reactions: 1 users
In other words: "Oh sh--, I have no idea what to write for my personal statement. Guys, tell me quick!" Ah, application season rolls around again. Why don't you contribute your own ideas OP?

As for me, I just want to have a medieval-style title after my name. My academic adviser says that "Lord Underu" and "His magnificence, Underu" are not popular anymore. So doctor will have to do. You should write this in your statement, it's 100% effective, 0% of the time.

Your typical investment banker doesn't make more money and they work longer hours doing soul crushing work. The green is NOT greener on the other side in any way shape or form. Ya I'm sure the top investment bankers make tons, but you can't compare your average MD/DO to the top end IB guy. There are people in medicine making >1 million/year and some making >2-3 mil too. It's very common for IB guys who make 200-300k/year to work >80 hours a week for long stretches. Same goes for anyone who's making that kind of money or more in the world of finance.

Anyway for me, nothing else I'd rather do and I love medicine so this takes the cake.
Well, good! I won't be working as one anyways haha! I know I'd get so bored with that job.......even if the norm was like a million I still wouldn't do it.

Well, good! I won't be working as one anyways haha! I know I'd get so bored with that job.......even if the norm was like a million I still wouldn't do it.
Well end of the day money is simply a tool.If you have certain hobbies and interests/things you want to do that needs $$, well then you'll need that $$ :p . I understand that some people derive pleasure from making money, and there's nothing wrong with that... it's what makes them happy and nothing wrong with it as long as it's done legally and at least somewhat ethically.

For me personally, yes medicine is a path to a decent to solid income AT LEAST. With the right practice and skill-set, it's very possible to make big big money in medicine. But end of the day it's just a tool anyway.

Well end of the day money is simply a tool.If you have certain hobbies and interests/things you want to do that needs $$, well then you'll need that $$ :p . I understand that some people derive pleasure from making money, and there's nothing wrong with that... it's what makes them happy and nothing wrong with it as long as it's done legally and at least somewhat ethically.

For me personally, yes medicine is a path to a decent to solid income AT LEAST. With the right practice and skill-set, it's very possible to make big big money in medicine. But end of the day it's just a tool anyway.
Yeah, I agree completely. I think the medical field will be great for me because it will provide the money I need to fund all of my hobbies, and still live decently. My motto has always been "I want to make enough money so I don't have to think about money." That doesn't mean I'm going to be going left and right buying Ferrari's, but when I go out to dinner with my family I don't want to be like "Oh, that steak is too expensive." Know what I mean?

My father told me when I was 9 that one's worth was measured in the amount of good that you did in the world and the number of lives that you improved. Call it naive, but that was ingrained into my psyche at a young age and is the consistent drive for what I do in my life. Medicine was the best training toward that aim. I don't think that as a doctor I can maximize my impact, but it serves as the best stepping stone to other things that will benefit others.

Reactions: 2 users
I am going to become a dentist. Working with people and helping them live a better, more comfortable, life is the biggest reward of all to me. As a previous poster said, I measure my worth as the amount of good I do in the world, not dollar signs.

I also have a strong interest in working on peoples bodies and performing procedures on them. I would really enjoy the work. Of course being called "doctor" is also a great inventive and six-figure salaries would allow me to have a great family life which is one of my goals in the future!

Yeah, I agree completely. I think the medical field will be great for me because it will provide the money I need to fund all of my hobbies, and still live decently. My motto has always been "I want to make enough money so I don't have to think about money." That doesn't mean I'm going to be going left and right buying Ferrari's, but when I go out to dinner with my family I don't want to be like "Oh, that steak is too expensive." Know what I mean?
Yea it all depends what satisfies you. If someone needs to make 400k/year as a doctor to fund their lamborghini because that's what satisfies them, then that's perfectly okay. If someone wants to be financially secure, perfect. There's no ideal way for everyone to live and different people have different interests and such.

I definitely don't think money should be considered a bad thing and I personally don't consider that to be a negative thing at all among any pre-meds who are money hungry. Obviously if money is the ONLY thing on your mind, then that's not good at all. But if it's just one part of the deal, then that's okay (and probably extremely common anyway among applicants).