What my surgery rotation finally drove me to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohboy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I decided the only way I can survive my general surgery rotation was to anonymously gripe about it on a blog. Anyone else driven to this?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I decided the only way I can survive my general surgery rotation was to anonymously gripe about it on a blog. Anyone else driven to this?

link?

so entertaining! but also kind of depressing =(

hey i loved that general surg movie good stuff

Members don't see this ad :)
Your orientation to surgery was hilarious.

This is great, wish there was more!

I'm tempted to create a blog myself now ... oh the stories I have ... :laugh:

I lovvved the video! but after reading your other entries, I feel bad for you :scared:

That blog was hilarious :laugh: I lol'd in class when I was reading it, and the movie was epic.

Just watched that video everyone keeps commenting on... "Wow, I'm having a great time here. Thank you!" :laugh:

Your blog is pretty awesome man, you're hilarious.

not only is that blog funny but that video was seriously one the funniest things ive seen in a while haha...kudos dude. I guess i cant wait for m3? :laugh:

to OP,
seriously, i think producers of scrubs should pay you big $$$$, and make it into a show. It'd be 100X better than those lame medical shows on TV now.

Wow, thanks everyone. I'm glad my rantings were able to bring joy to someone!

:) Keep up the awesome, hilarious work!

haha... but i think your attendings are easy on the pimping. The men 2a q for example... hard to get wrong if you passed step 1.

I managed to LOL in the library after watching that video. Great stuff.

Dude, large bowel obstruction is always the top differential for sickness, followed by menopause and lupus. That student should have known better.

haha... but i think your attendings are easy on the pimping. The men 2a q for example... hard to get wrong if you passed step 1.

1. You will make a good attending someday
2. For some reason things that seem easy on step 1 can become much more difficult when you lack multiple choice, you are knee deep in bowels, and there are 8 other people in the room staring at you waiting for your response. I dunno. Maybe I'm weird that way.

:lol: I love your humor. I'm curious, where do you go to school? If you aren't comfortable answering, how about the city?

that was some side splitting, knee-slapping, laughing til you cry humor

haha keep it up! I bookmarked your blog

LMAO!!!!

Why didn't I click on this thread/blog earlier!?? I'm just reading that "running up the stairs" blog and I'm LoL-ing!

I loved this part: "Have you ever been the only winded person in a group of people after moderate or mild exercise? You know how hard it is to pretend you aren't winded?"

Thanks for this, OP!

5-star thread.

EDIT: Oh man, I don't know if I lol'd at this one or if my soul wept for you, OP:

"Today I found out I was stupid. Today the "Star Wars" attending led me into the ICU for a pimping onslaught.

Dr. Attending: What class of drug is imipenem?
Medical Student: A macrolide, no, wait, that's not right
Dr. Attending: That was stupid. Well, what's the mechanism?
Medical Student: (blank stare)
Dr. Attending: Are you special or something?

Good times."

:laugh: or =/

EDIT #2: LMFAO!!!!!! that video was BRILLIANT! simply B-R-I-L-L-I-A-N-T-!

Last edited:
That clip was awesome; better than the whole 3rd season of scrubs

I lol'd as well. On my surg rotation, which I love, but have had many a moment that you captured so well on your blog. I had a marathon running resident for CT surgery, oh how I miss the feeling that my legs were going to give out constantly lol.

And to the person who commented on the ease of certain pimp questions. . . there's nothing like a 100+ hour week or a 30+ hour day to make all of step 1 fade from the type of conscious recall that can dig up factoids in <20 seconds on demand. I had a dude pimping me at noon post-trauma-call and I swear my IQ was down a solid 50 points lol. Today for example I completely lost the word "insulinoma" . . . I was babbling about beta islet cells and hypoglycemia and distal pancreatotomies and couldn't for the life of me come up with friggin "insulinoma" as the name of the tumor I was describing.

There's time to start a blog on surgery? For us its 5-6 am to 6-7 pm...

HAHAHAH, that video was awesome.

During my surg rotation I did a week in anesthesia, my attending said the same exact thing to me the first day. (difference btw. dog crap and med students)

And I of course said the same thing back, a small uncomfortable laugh, coupled with, "thank you, tell me more."

Surgery has definitely been the most time consuming rotation so far. Sunday-Thursday this week I put in about 90 hours, and since I had medicine before, I am getting only my second weekend off in over 2 months this weekend. That said, this is the most fun I have had in medical school. If it wasn't for this rotation, I'd be considering taking my M.D. and seeing what else was available other than residency as I have hated everything up to this point.

Your blog is awesome. Keep it up!!

Hard to tell if you're being sarcastic or not... but if not...
May be hard to get wrong if you had a >240 on step 1, very easy to get wrong if you study for the big picture and find that type of thing a BS detail that will never have any relevance to your practice of medicine. Especially when it has been 6 mo since you studied any of that bs in the first place.

I did well on Step 1, I may know one or two of the MEN 2A components, but without any sort of confidence.
I think there is something with p's, like parathyroid... parotid... something? :shrug: And this is the extent of my knowledge after I re-studied men-2 for surgery oral exams a month ago. :)

I always felt that the s*it they gave on surgery was always a joke. At least it always seemed like they were kidding. My medicine resident has called me a ****** at least 3 times in our month together, but also says he thinks we're some of the best students he's had. Some people just think it's funny to say negative things.

Awesome Blog!!! - - - Brings back fond memories. . . :poke:

I hope you don't have many more experiences like this in your other rotations, but if you do, you might as well share 'em. Hilarious!:laugh:

The crappy thing about MEN 2 is that it keeps popping up on exams from Step 1 to your written and oral board exams. I'm still trying to remember

I always felt that the s*it they gave on surgery was always a joke. At least it always seemed like they were kidding. My medicine resident has called me a ****** at least 3 times in our month together, but also says he thinks we're some of the best students he's had. Some people just think it's funny to say negative things.

This is what I hope, because if it's not meant to be funny but it's a witty joke, Im still going to laugh. Which could lead to some awkward situations.

Rotary Doctor is very very tire in our nation.we We chose this caree:love:, we must bear it