What Non-trads should wear and NOT wear to med school interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a tasteful tattoo in memory of my Grandfather on the back of my right calf.
So if a skirt suit is the power suit:
is it worse to have the power suit with my tat showing
Or going with the pant suit?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a tasteful tattoo in memory of my Grandfather on the back of my right calf.
You should wear the pants. Most people probably wouldn't care, especially younger people. But some people do not like tattoos on a professional career applicant, and it's best not to take the chance since it's easy enough to cover it up.

I'm from the West and I've always worn dress suits to interviews, but I've seen women who looked pretty awkward in a dress/skirt, so it really depends. I think the idea is to wear what suits your style and temperament best. I've always believed that the more comfortable (not having to worry about your outward disposition and how you're being perceived ) you are, the better you can naturally convey charisma and confidence.

Members don't see this ad :)
Q- Since I don't stalk you, I wouldn't have known ;) Either way, it's a good handle...

Additionally, wondering about teeth... I don't have horrible teeth, but I'm wondering if it's worth it to have them cleaned/whitened???

If they can't see it, they can't make assumptions about you.

Last edited:
Nice, congrats! Is this at the main campus or Bradenton? I went to college in Sarasota (right next to Bradenton), and it's a gorgeous area.

Thanks, Q! I'll be going to the branch campus in Greensburg, PA, though you go through admissions at Erie (including the interview) for this branch campus. Chose this campus because I could commute from my current residence. Unfortunately, no sunny beaches for me. :(

So I am wondering... I have two pairs of glasses, fun/funky (green/brown), and smart/sophisticated (gold & small), which do I wear??

The likelihood is that it won't pose a problem. Unless you are in certain areas of the country... NYC, you could be interviewed by many Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, etc people... in Atlanta, likely not, but always a possibility... Either way, the choice to wear it is yours, if you're applying to Loma Linda, wear the ring

Actually, one of the largest Jewish (particularly orthodox) temples/communities is in Atlanta, and there are a very large number of Jewish individuals in academic medicine. I think you can not make assumptions with respect to religion by region. Likely just best to leave it off no matter where you are headed.

I have a small tattoo on my left wrist (where I wear my watch). I will wear long sleeves for my interviews (won't be visible), but I am applying MD/PhD and there are a lot of non-interview situations I know where I will hopefully wear summer suits/dresses.

I'm going to search for a dress watch with a somewhat thicker band so that it will cover the majority of the tattoo/make it less noticeable, but is this actually going to be an issue? Its a tasteful tattoo, abstract, that i get a lot of compliments on when people actually SEE it.

I have a research PI (who is on adcomms at his campus) who has known me since before I had the tattoo. I told him I was getting it and he was adamantly against it. I explained why, and that I was willing for him to disapprove this choice...he still loves me and is gunning hard for me....but he was very negative about it. So I know there are lots of folks (including young professors) who are very against it..

Actually, one of the largest Jewish (particularly orthodox) temples/communities is in Atlanta, and there are a very large number of Jewish individuals in academic medicine. I think you can not make assumptions with respect to religion by region. Likely just best to leave it off no matter where you are headed.

I didn't specify only Jewish people, and you can't deny that NYC has the largest population. Either way, most Jewish people wouldn't be offended by a ring with a cross on it, unless it was a particular kind... no matter, as this has already been discussed...

As to your tattoo, it doesn't matter what the general population thinks of your tattoo, it is what an admissions person thinks of it, in the sense of admissions and an interview... I'm with the OP, cover it up...

Go Fragrance Free. - For men, yes. All your cologne stinks. ;) For women a light application (single spray!) several hours before is good. Do not spritz up right before you walk in the building. Women who did that got interviewed lightning fast, so I could get them and their awful perfume stink out of my conference room.

I disagree with it being acceptable for anyone to wear perfume. If one of your interviewers is allergic to something that you're wearing, no matter how light it is, you are not making a friend.

So I am wondering... I have two pairs of glasses, fun/funky (green/brown), and smart/sophisticated (gold & small), which do I wear??

For a professional interview, you should wear your professional glasses. Essentially, when deciding what to wear for an interview you want to consider two things: (1) what would you frown upon if you were the interviewer; and (2) what makes you feel confident about yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
None of the pairs of glasses I have are "frowned upon" and I'm confident in both pairs...

I disagree with it being acceptable for anyone to wear perfume. If one of your interviewers is allergic to something that you're wearing, no matter how light it is, you are not making a friend.
QFT. One of the ladies in my office has asthma so severe that scented lotions can send her to the hospital. Musk-based scents make me want to vomit. My mom is adamant that magnolias smell like cat piss. There are just too many examples of perfumes being a bad idea.

Soap and deoderant are plenty. You don't have to smell pretty, you just need to not stink.

Agree that no one should wear any perfume or cologne. At my school, our interviews were held in small offices, and I would not have enjoyed being stuck in there for half an hour with someone who smelled like they had taken a bath in cheap perfume/cologne. :barf:

I obsessed SO much about what I would wear to interviews - it's a proxy for all the things you cannot control about the process.

Seriously, they DO NOT care so long as you are neatly and professionally dressed.

In 2011, EVEN in the Deep South, you may wear a pant suit as a woman. Flats are also JUST FINE.

No cleavage. Hair that stays put. Tasteful and minimal makeup. Shoes that do not make you teeter. No holes. Done. :)

Last edited:
None of the pairs of glasses I have are "frowned upon" and I'm confident in both pairs...

Perhaps "frowned upon" wasn't the write phrase to use. Another approach is to look at pictures of business professionals and see what kind of glasses you see most often. That is the look that is expected (consciously or unconsciously), and fitting that expectation works to your favor.

This is awesome, albeit a conservative approch- in short:

Wear a suit to your medical school interview and get your hair cut. Girls, it's not a night club. Splurge on and Ann Taylor or J Crew suit. I think this applies to girls in their 20s! I think skirts are fine, like a pencil skirt with a suit. The rest of this post is like reading an HR protocol, not sure whether or laugh or cry.

Over 30? Over 40? And planning your interview attire to med school. Here are my friendly tips. This is my totally unofficial opinion of what will present the best image. Of course I have interviewed many job applicants, so I feel like I know a little something.

• Look Your Age NOT Your Era! Trendy clothes from today or your hey-day are definite no-nos. Conservative, tasteful, yet up to date is the look of the day. Also, understated sophistication is much better than flash, glitz and trendy looks. And please men, no grandpa pants. Women, don't show up looking like a kindergarten teacher.
  • Tone Down the 'Body Talk'. Big boobs? Nice cleavage? Built pecs? Kicking curves? Luscious muscles? Keep it your secret. Wear clothes to minimize your bumps or brawn. ( side note: I know men in the business world who will NOT hire a sexy girl specifically because they don't want problems with their wives.)
  • Camouflage the Rolls. Not looking so svelte these days? Ideally you will get in shape so that you will come across as strong, healthy and capable of enduring an intense residency, instead of old, tiring and not so healthy. Also try to choose clothes that flatter your body with smooth lines and draping fabric. Tailored suits are great for making a not so hot physique look a little more dashing.
  • Say No To Skirts/Dresses. I know that some people believe that women look more formal in a skirt suite. I disagree. I feel that women are better off wearing a pant suit. Why? Minimize panty hose issues... easier to wear sensible shoes that look good with your clothes... look stronger and less girly.... no worries about crotch shots.... no worries about baring too much leg.....
  • Go Fragrance Free. The only scent you should be wearing is deodorant. Otherwise you run the risk of offending someone. Personally I dislike all perfume and cologne, and I'm sure that others feel that way to. Some folks are allergic as well.
  • Get a Manicure (YES, guys too). No need to pay for a manicure. You can do it yourself. Trim and file nails. Clean under nail. Paint with clear polish. That's it. Do not wear bright red, candy apple green or any other color that might be seen as tacky, juvenile, weird or obnoxious. Oh, and please, no nail art or nail jewelry! Also big long dragon nails are a bad idea. Finally DO NOT try to spiff yourself up with cheap press on nails.
  • Put Your Best Foot Forward. Shoes should be clean, polished, free of any scuffs/tears, and of course comfortable. Ladies, I know some folks love the new 4 inch skinny heels, but they will look frivolous as heck at an interview. Wear 'sensible' shoes from a decent maker. No cheap plastic Target or Payless shoes. Don't borrow Grandma's orthodics either.
  • Remove Piercings. Remove all piercings except one pair of earrings (ladies only). Earrings should be small and tasteful - pearls, diamond studs, small gold/silver hoops. Please no dangling earrings or mambo bead type things. And definitely NO GAUGES! I live in Native lands where all the girls wear beautiful Navajo or Hopi costumes at high school graduation. I think if one has jewelry from their culture and the wants to show cultural pride, there is nothing wrong with doing so at an interview in a tasteful and subdued manner.
  • Other Jewelery. Keep jewelery to a minimum. Showing up with rings on every hand and 3 pounds of bracelets is ill advised. Stick to a pair of earrings, one or two rings and maybe a necklace. Avoid potentially offensive jewelry such as skulls, drug related jewelry or religious symbols. I wear a beautifully hand crafted Zuni cross, but I will not wear it on interview day as I do not want to risk offending someone of another faith.
  • Hair Today. It goes without saying that your hair should be clean and well groomed. I also think it should be soft and natural - don't get carried away with hairspray or gel. According to beauty experts, soft, straight hair makes a woman look younger than wavy or curly hair.I have long brown hair. My husband always advises me to wear it back at interviews so that I look more 'serious'. Also I don't think it's a good idea to show up in some extreme haircut, like for example the severe inverted bob, the lopsided bob, the mohawk, shaved patterns in head, 'big' hair, overly died or streaked hair, odd hair colors, etc. If you are still sporting a mullet, bilevel, 70s feathers or any other oudated due, it's time to update! Also, ladies, it's a bad idea to get a haircut the day before your interview. Give yourself at least a week to get used to a new haircut before going to an important interview. I don't think this is an issue for guys.
  • Make Down not Up. I think a good look is a light dusting of powder, a little highlight on the cheekbone, very light bronze dusting for 'blush', groomed brows, neutral lip color, black/brown mascara on upper lashes only. The look of the day is fresh and healthy...period. No other look will work. Avoid foundation, heavy face powder, dark eyeliner, and dark or colorful eyeshadow. According to experts foundation, lower lid eyeliner, lower lid mascara and strong lip color age a woman.
  • Tattoos. If at all possible make your tattoos disappear by covering them with clothing. This is not the time to be 'cool' or show how artsy you are.
  • Wear it Well. Clothes that wear well are best. That means clothes that tend not to wrinkle or stain. That means no white, and no easily wrinkled cottons. Also don't wear anything too tight. You might regret it toward the end of the day when your belly starts to swell from gas or nerves.
  • Comfy, Natural Eyes. If you normally wear glasses, wear them. This is not the day to try your new contact lenses. If you don't normally wear glasses, don't wear your glasses today just 'cause you are trying to look smart. Oh, and please do not wear colored contacts. No matter how good you think they look, to many people they are strange and silly looking.
  • Comfy Undies. Comfortable, loose fitting, cotton undies. No banana hammocks, butt huggers that cut circulation, crotch climbers that invade the motherland, or synthetic fabrics that encourage crotch sweat.
Feel free to add your two cents to my totally unofficial list of what to wear and what not to wear.

Perhaps "frowned upon" wasn't the write phrase to use. Another approach is to look at pictures of business professionals and see what kind of glasses you see most often. That is the look that is expected (consciously or unconsciously), and fitting that expectation works to your favor.

Here's the thing, I get more compliments on the green glasses than I ever had on the other ones. I spoke with a coworker who is starting med school this fall, and he didn't feel that the pair I wear daily (green) would cost me an interview. They aren't 'unprofessional' they are just more noticeable than the other pair.

Here's the thing, I get more compliments on the green glasses than I ever had on the other ones. I spoke with a coworker who is starting med school this fall, and he didn't feel that the pair I wear daily (green) would cost me an interview. They aren't 'unprofessional' they are just more noticeable than the other pair.

Go with your green ones. I only have a green pair and wore them (obviously) and I got accepted to every one of my interview spots so it obviously didn't cost me.

Also, pants vs. skirts for girls: wear whatever you feel most comfortable in. I don't think very many folks are judging you on whether you are wearing one vs. the other.

Go with your green ones. I only have a green pair and wore them (obviously) and I got accepted to every one of my interview spots so it obviously didn't cost me.

Also, pants vs. skirts for girls: wear whatever you feel most comfortable in. I don't think very many folks are judging you on whether you are wearing one vs. the other.

Most awesome post in this thread. Skirts, pants, whatever -- they're both fine. Just wear a suit! If you wear a skirt, make sure it's not too short, and yeah, minimize cleavage.

Glasses -- newish, good fitting, somewhat stylish glasses are totally fine. You don't need to wear frameless or boring simple metal frame glasses. So go with the green. Honestly, medicine is a less conservative (and less dressy) profession than banking or law.

Small religious adornments -- also OK.

Curly hair -- again, OK. While there might be some bogus beauty standard out there that suggests all women should have long, smooth, straight hair, well-groomed, non straight hair is totally cool.

Shoes, coats, whatever. On my residency interviews, it was pretty normal to see people wearing boots on cold days in the north. People also wore parkas on the super cold days, too. The thing to remember is that you don't take your coat in with you when you're being interviewed. Flats are fine. Heels are fine. I guess some people still have issues about open-toed shoes.

Mostly good advice but I had to laugh because I would hope that this stuff would be commonsense! I hope no one would think they should show up with exposed tats and skull jewelry. This is pretty much well-known interview advice, for med school or otherwise.

I do also take issue with the skirt suit being a no-no, even in the northeast. Sure, maybe a light color, or puff sleeves, or unnecessary decoration might make it look "girly," but a nice navy blue conservative suit with a skirt just above the knee is professional, smart, and sensible. This is a very controversial issue... I have seen advice saying a pants suit is a no-no for women. I have always interviewed in a conservative business suit with a skirt, and feel most comfortable that way (even though in my normal life I actually rarely wear skirts.)

Regarding tattoos - why take a chance? You don't know who might find a tattoo offensive or unprofessional. If your clothes don't cover it, find a good make-up (like dermablend) to temporarily cover it up. You can express yourself later in another setting. I totally agree with the above poster about the exposed tattoos suggesting (rightly or wrongly) arrogance, and the whole "yeah I'm tattooed, deal with it, accommodate ME" attitude. This attitude is real and a lot of people have it. But a lot of people don't, and just happen to like tattoos. You don't want to give off a vibe which might not really be you (and if it IS you, just put a cork on it for the duration of an interview.)

Oh ... and I would advise guys to get their hair cut at least a couple days beforehand... one never knows when one will get a weird cut. Sometimes it can turn out too short or uneven... sure, guys wear shorter hair so they can't really get their hair cut a couple weeks ahead of an interview, but they need time to deal with any disaster which might have occurred.

Last edited:
This is awesome, albeit a conservative approch- in short:

Wear a suit to your medical school interview and get your hair cut. Girls, it's not a night club. Splurge on and Ann Taylor or J Crew suit. I think this applies to girls in their 20s! I think skirts are fine, like a pencil skirt with a suit. The rest of this post is like reading an HR protocol, not sure whether or laugh or cry.

I started this thread on a whim... for a study break and amusement... it was half serious and half tongue in cheek... don't read too much into it

I'm so glad there's a thread on this! I was always wondering what people usually wear but never really asked haha

Although the interview time for me is nowhere in sight I still have few questions.

I have a little goatee without a mustache. It really helps with my small chin and babyface. So the consensus is that I should keep it?

My haircut is not very traditional. I keep it short, but I get tapered on the sides and the back and get pointy sideburns. I also get a lineup on my forehead. It looks really good on my, but I am afraid that it would not look professional enough for the interview.