What NOT to do your first year of med school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nittany Lion said:
I think you're missing the point here. Let me offer somewhat of an analogy. I'm Jewish, and Jews are stereotypically known to be cheap (i.e. stingy) - just like black people are stereotypically known to be "angry", "militant," etc. While I don't really consider myself to be cheap, let's just assume that on one (or maybe more) ccasions I am witnessed by a classmate not handing money to a homeless person begging on the street, which may make me seem like a stingy person. Now I am labelled in that person's mind as "Cheap Jewish Woman" forever because they witnessed me doing something that fits in with a specific negative stereotype of my religion (or culture, whatever you want to call it).

I realize there may be no SNL skit about "Cheap Jewish Man" but to me it's that scenario represents the same kind of thing. If you thought the original post was about "ABW" funny, that's ok with me, but all I'm saying (as well as the other person who responded) was that it's not funny to me to identify someone using insulting racial stereotypes. (And if you ask me, yes, that person was being insulting). And yes, you absolutely can observe the facts that she was 1) black, and 2) being angry, but all I'm saying is that labelling someone like that just perpetuates the generalization that ALL black people are angry. Maybe you don't agree, but for some reason, many people aren't able think independently enough to not subscribe to stereotypes such as that.

If you want to think that I'm reading too much into it or that I should lighten up, that's your opinion, but this is how I interpreted that post. All I'm saying is that maybe people, especially those who are going to be in a very people-oriented field like medicine, should be a little sensitive to how people will perceive the things they say about others, even if they seem to be "joking" around...especially regarding someone's race, disabilities, life experiences.. or anything else that can really make a person feel singled out.

:clap: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Nittany Lion said:
I think you're missing the point here. Let me offer somewhat of an analogy. I'm Jewish, and Jews are stereotypically known to be cheap (i.e. stingy) - just like black people are stereotypically known to be "angry", "militant," etc. While I don't really consider myself to be cheap, let's just assume that on one (or maybe more) ccasions I am witnessed by a classmate not handing money to a homeless person begging on the street, which may make me seem like a stingy person. Now I am labelled in that person's mind as "Cheap Jewish Woman" forever because they witnessed me doing something that fits in with a specific negative stereotype of my religion (or culture, whatever you want to call it).

I realize there may be no SNL skit about "Cheap Jewish Man" but to me it's that scenario represents the same kind of thing. If you thought the original post was about "ABW" funny, that's ok with me, but all I'm saying (as well as the other person who responded) was that it's not funny to me to identify someone using insulting racial stereotypes. (And if you ask me, yes, that person was being insulting). And yes, you absolutely can observe the facts that she was 1) black, and 2) being angry, but all I'm saying is that labelling someone like that just perpetuates the generalization that ALL black people are angry. Maybe you don't agree, but for some reason, many people aren't able think independently enough to not subscribe to stereotypes such as that.

If you want to think that I'm reading too much into it or that I should lighten up, that's your opinion, but this is how I interpreted that post. All I'm saying is that maybe people, especially those who are going to be in a very people-oriented field like medicine, should be a little sensitive to how people will perceive the things they say about others, even if they seem to be "joking" around...especially regarding someone's race, disabilities, life experiences.. or anything else that can really make a person feel singled out.

Holy crap!!! Did all of that really go through your mind when you read his post? What a depressing way to live. I'd like to run a little mini-experiment if I could...can you please tell me a funny story...something that happened to you that you found ammusing. Im curious to see if you are able to laugh at something without overthinking the social ramifications and the isolating effect your laughter may have on those around you. My guess is that you will:
1. Be unable to think of a funny story
or 2. relate a story of the "this one time I pretended to throw a ball but held onto it and my dog tried to look for it but he couldn't find it...I died laughing" sort.

Have at it...

Nittany Lion said:

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Nittany Lion said:

I agree!

I always take it so personally when I hear a DRUNK IRISH joke... :luck:

Now where did I leave my Guiness...

Exactly. I'm from India...and I took your Guinness :D

DrThom said:
I agree!
I always take it so personally when I hear a DRUNK IRISH joke... :luck:
Now where did I leave my Guiness...

Portier said:
There was a character on SNL a few years back called "Angry Black Man." He was always pissed, and blamed everyone around him (especially whitey) for whatever comical situation was happening.

We had "Angry Black Woman" at my school. Showed up late to EVERY lectue, Looked ANGRY and SURPISED when she came in the front door and there's a lecture going on. I read her mind, "All these damn people showed up early and started lecture just so I would look dumb when I came in ON TIME."

It snows where I go to school. I like to push people in the snow. I'm a southerner, and didn't get to do that much growing up. A buddy of mine and I were messing around, pushing, and stuff on our way to cross the street. Since the snow was stacked high, there was only a small path to get to the crossing area.

He was at the back of the line, and behind him was ABW. He tossed a snowball at me. I threw a handfull back. He dogdged. I hit ABW in the face. I thought she was going to kill me. That was a dirty look I'll not soon recover from.

I don't think it is a good idea to make assumptions about people without getting to know them as you did in the above statement. I am a black male in medical school and it truly amazes me when I see people make obvious racial driven statements. To those that think this is funny, I pose a question: Would you stand up in front of your entire medical school class and tell this joke? My guess is that you would not because it would be taken as inappropriate. I deal with this kind of thing alot at my school. People make assumptions regarding my intellect and are quite suprised when they find out I am not a dumb as they thought. In closing, do SDN a favor: THINK BEFORE YOU POST.

dynx said:
:thumbup: me too, two votes for funny. I think the response was pretty funny too...

"I'm sorry but u sound more than a bit judgemental. Have you ever had a conversasion with "ABW"? Do you know her life experiences? If you did, could you truly empathize?"

...here's a cover all, we start with have you ever talked to her and then just incase he has we add on "could you truely emphasize?" Let me just translate..."are you black?" If not, you can never comment on anyone who is black, they have had a hard life and are therefor allowed to be bitchy to you.

"Does her facial expression in conjunction with her being black lead you to the definitive conclusion that she is cut from the same fabric as the decidedly ignorant "angry-black-man"? Also the "ABW" designation probably seems cute and convenient to you for inside-joke-type discourse. That's fine, but IMHO, it should've stayed right there...inside that is."

Here's where she comes in with rightous indignation and a rhetorical question. Now, assuming the author of the offending post has an intact limbic system and has good vision I feel its safe to say that he can pick up on an angry facial expression. Ditto for picking up on blackness so to answer your rhetorical question.
1. She's angry
2. She's black
so YES she does in fact meet the demanding criteria for being cut from the same cloth as Angry-black-man minus the twig and berries.

In conclusion to tchantel lighten the f*ck up.

Judging from your misappropriated anger, profanity, and "twig and berries" (not to mention your quote) you yourself have a flair for making your own ignorant folly theatrical and amusing.
Others have delineated my simple point quite well for me already, but if things are still nebulous let us now examine the phrase "angry black man/woman". Let us gain an understanding as to why people like me don't get to share in the laughter after reading a post like this.

My neuro professor always has an discomfitingly contemtuous look on his face --he always seems to be angry. He is also white.

If I perceive him to be angry and white, yes he meets the "demanding criteria" (awk) for being an "angry white man".

Somehow, though, the phrase doesn't resonate with the same uncomfortable derision as the more familiar "angry black man" epithet. Why?

Well since you entirely missed the gestalt of my first post I will keep my conclusion brief and simple so that even an individual with limited reasoning ability and poor judgment can follow along:

The phrase "angry black man" carries with is a number of implications and caustic notions about blacks and the way they perceive themselves and the world. The phrase "angry white man", on the other hand, simply names 2 seemingly unrelated traits and does little in the way of comic ingenue. Thankfully though, "angry-black-man" is good for hours of All-American fun and loads of laughs. It can also be applied (offensive, stereotypic implications and all!) indiscriminately to every person that has the gaul to be unfriendly AND be black at the same time...the nerve.

But I'm not here to censure your thoughts. Be as sheltered and ignorant as you wanna be in the dimly lit arena of your mind. Share your witty racial banter with friends and loved ones. Just use common sense when your foolishness might actually be heard beyond the green hills of Kentucky. You may be bold on SDN but trust me when I say that even YOU, with all your bombastic candor would not have the gall to tell a story like this in a room with me in it -- this I guarantee.

In any case, my post was far from controversial. The needless diatribe, the cursing and the "twigs and berries" comment leaves little room to wonder what type of individual you are. So cheers to you, dynx -- a veritable buffet for your trollish appetite :thumbup:

hey everyone, grab your nearest dictionary of thesaurus....its posting time! weeeeeeee!

tchantel21 said:
Judging from your misappropriated anger, profanity, and "twig and berries" (not to mention your quote) you yourself have a flair for making your own ignorant folly theatrical and amusing.
Others have delineated my simple point quite well for me already, but if things are still nebulous let us now examine the phrase "angry black man/woman". Let us gain an understanding as to why people like me don't get to share in the laughter after reading a post like this.

My neuro professor always has an discomfitingly contemtuous look on his face --he always seems to be angry. He is also white.

If I perceive him to be angry and white, yes he meets the "demanding criteria" (awk) for being an "angry white man".

Somehow, though, the phrase doesn't resonate with the same uncomfortable derision as the more familiar "angry black man" epithet. Why?

Well since you entirely missed the gestalt of my first post I will keep my conclusion brief and simple so that even an individual with limited reasoning ability and poor judgment can follow along:

The phrase "angry black man" carries with is a number of implications and caustic notions about blacks and the way they perceive themselves and the world. The phrase "angry white man", on the other hand, simply names 2 seemingly unrelated traits and does little in the way of comic ingenue. Thankfully though, "angry-black-man" is good for hours of All-American fun and loads of laughs. It can also be applied (offensive, stereotypic implications and all!) indiscriminately to every person that has the gaul to be unfriendly AND be black at the same time...the nerve.

But I'm not here to censure your thoughts. Be as sheltered and ignorant as you wanna be in the dimly lit arena of your mind. Share your witty racial banter with friends and loved ones. Just use common sense when your foolishness might actually be heard beyond the green hills of Kentucky. You may be bold on SDN but trust me when I say that even YOU, with all your bombastic candor would not have the gall to tell a story like this in a room with me in it -- this I guarantee.

In any case, my post was far from controversial. The needless diatribe, the cursing and the "twigs and berries" comment leaves little room to wonder what type of individual you are. So cheers to you, dynx -- a veritable buffet for your trollish appetite :thumbup:

I'm going to go out on a "twig" and guess that you are of african american descent. BTW, has anyone ever noticed that every black dude that has ever been on MTV's "Real World" had a major chip on their shoulder to such a degree that one could implicate anger with the exception of the guy from San Diego's cast. What was his name, Jamaal or something like that. He seem to be solid. Discuss amongst yourselves. That is all.

Tooth

tchantel21 said:

Gee, big words! You must be an english major. And I'll have you know my ignorance and folly is plenty amusing even to me....that's what you people lack, the ability to laugh at yourself. Without such an ability, every small comment and off the wall perspective becomes a personal attack worthy of a scolding and your own personal disdain.
Since you seemed to have backed off your original post and retreated to the more safely grounded position of screaming "racist" based upon your own personal interpretation of the name ABW I'll type out what you said again..."have you talked to her/and if you have could you empathize" Im sure that in your mind you have allready made the judgement that he could not truely empathize with ABW, and since you're apparently able to discern exactly what he is implying using ABW let me tell you what you are implying. He, as a white male, is unable to understand the challenges in her life and as such is in no position to judge her or label her. Let me tell you what this line of thinking gets you:
1. It gets students in the majority at a school afraid to deliver a distatstefull opinion to a minority student for fear of being called racist as you have done here.
2. It allows her to avoid criticism that would help her realize her attitude is ostracizing the rest of the class and may someday impede her career
3. It gets nobody any closer to where the need to be.
The problem is she will never ever hear this criticism since if anybody had the good sense to tell her your uppity ass would be all over them because of the connotations that for some reason you cant get out of your mind when you hear the words angry black woman.

And in response to your assertion that I would edit my thought when you were in the room, I would take up that challenge...for some reason I doubt that your bite is as bad as your bark. And for your further enlightenment into my personality I have an African american classmate that frequents these boards, knows my screen name and may very well read my posts. So no, my thoughts are not different due to annonimity. I know that Im not a racist, I couldnt give a rats ass about color or religion etc. and an off the wall remark can be funny without me worrying about who may be offended.

I see you're class of 09 so I'll forgive you for being an indoctrinated PC elitist, give it some time though, its a currable disease...soon enough you'll be able to form your own opinions and realize that words aren't the end all be all of existance.

To wrap up...I love the line "your foolishness might actually be heard beyond the green hills of Kentucky". The chick preaching about stereotypes and their implications can't seem to see that in this conversation all the prejudice and inability to let preconcieved notions go are on her side of the computer screen. You're the english major...is the word for that irony?

Just so everyone knows,

In addition to being offended by drunk Irish jokes, I just bleached my hair and I am now also offended by blonde jokes.

Carry on.

You lost me at "You people." ;)

sunnyjohn said:
You lost me at "You people." ;)

:laugh: whoops...that was aimed at overly sensitive folks not a minority group.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sigh......You sound dumb

...for so many more reasons than I care to take time expounding on...but hey, at least we agree on something...

1. "It gets students in the majority at a school afraid to deliver a distatstefull opinion to a minority student for fear of being called racist as you have done here."

Ding ding ding! You get the prize. That's what I'm goin for. Blacks and non-blacks alike on this thread have attempted to penetrate that fearfully indestructable skull to inform you that YES THIS STEREOTYPE IS BOTH RACIAL AND OFFENSIVE . How dare I assert that one shouldn't "deliver distasteful opinions" (you are the king of awkward language) to another person.

You know if only all whites could deliver a distasteful opinion to a minorities in peace we would all be so much "closer to where we need to be".
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Direct your black friend (lmao) to the forum. Have her read the story. Please, allow her to read the infantile dribble that you have had the misfortune of posting in public. I am dumbfounded (but also tickled) by your stupidity.

Well, at least I got to laugh about something at the end of the day. :) :D ;)

P.S., physiology and neurobiology major -- blessed with a gift I wish you had a semblance of so we could at least have a decent arguement...so dissapointing.

tchantel21 said:
Sigh......You sound dumb

...for so many more reasons than I care to take time expounding on...but hey, at least we agree on something...

1. "It gets students in the majority at a school afraid to deliver a distatstefull opinion to a minority student for fear of being called racist as you have done here."

Ding ding ding! You get the prize. That's what I'm goin for. Blacks and non-blacks alike on this thread have attempted to penetrate that fearfully indestructable skull to inform you that YES THIS STEREOTYPE IS BOTH RACIAL AND OFFENSIVE . How dare I assert that one shouldn't "deliver distasteful opinions" (you are the king of awkward language) to another person.

You know if only all whites could deliver a distasteful opinion to a minorities in peace we would all be so much "closer to where we need to be".
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Direct your black friend (lmao) to the forum. Have her read the story. Please, allow her to read the infantile dribble that you have had the misfortune of posting in public. I am dumbfounded (but also tickled) by your stupidity.

Well, at least I got to laugh about something at the end of the day. :) :D ;)

P.S., physiology and neurobiology major -- blessed with a gift I wish you had a semblance of so we could at least have a decent arguement...so dissapointing.

Degeneration into insults...its a sad sign. This post needs no further response, it speaks for itself as to your personality.

Are you sure your major wasn't Ethnic Studies with a minor in Thesaurus Abuse?

P.S. Another vote for funny. I don't even think there's a widespread stereotype of blacks being angry in the first place. If you're making jokes about welfare checks I could see it, but "angry"?

dmoney41 said:
Are you sure your major wasn't Ethnic Studies with a minor in Thesaurus Abuse?

P.S. Another vote for funny. I don't even think there's a widespread stereotype of blacks being angry in the first place. If you're making jokes about welfare checks I could see it, but "angry"?

How do you explain the SNL skit about the "angry black man" that caused the original poster to conjure up the "angry black woman" story?

DrThom said:
Just so everyone knows,

In addition to being offended by drunk Irish jokes, I just bleached my hair and I am now also offended by blonde jokes.

Carry on.

touche. :laugh: :p :laugh:

Hey, whoah... the internet isn't supposed to be taken seriously, I think some of you guys forgot to sign the waiver.

dynx said:
:laugh: whoops...that was aimed at overly sensitive folks not a minority group.

No harm done.
I figured that's what you meant. I read the post anyway since I had to finish it.

You have a point. Some folks are sensitive.

I also read the ABW/ABM posts and debate.

I don't think the poster meant any harm. Some of us can admit, even though we chuckled we we felt a bit wierd about it. White folks wonderin', "Should I be laughing at this?" Black folks thinking, "This is amusing, but is this guy a racist?"

Nothing wrong with that. Means we aren't just insensitve nutso and use our brains to think about what we read and hear.

Makes for a better world. :D

tchantel21 said:
...Just use common sense when your foolishness might actually be heard beyond the green hills of Kentucky...

From someone who is so offended by stereotyping... ??? Sorry, but it's a little hypocritical IMO

I truly wish that this individual would have said something meaningful for me to respond to. If any of you could please direct me toward a valid point in that post I will gladly respond.

But then, I suppose I myself have not been mindful of my audience. Please, throw your sterotypes about with wild abandon. After that insult my "uppety a$$" and make sure "us people" take all offense with quiet dignity.

In addition, if you will take the time to read the whole thread you'll notice that things developed this way:

I made a yawningly flat and far-from-controversial remark. Someone agreed with me and somehow I end up gettin told off and cursed @. Even after that, I made heart-felt attempt to communicate not if, but WHY this is insulting and offensive to myself and other blacks. So forgive me for expressing my offense. Forgive me for using poignant language without having to crack a thesaurus ;) . Forgive me for not feigning interest in the madness that had just been spewed into the forum. Yet I see that no one is addressing that post -- please reiterate and clarify for me. I simply don't see anything that is worth addressing and I truly and floored by what this person is saying.

Ahhh well, lesson learned. Next time I'll shup up and take it quietly like a good...

Please keep me up-to-date on what other "distasteful opinions" you someone might want to "deliver" so that me and my people know what not be offended by. :thumbup:

tchantel21 said:
I truly wish that this individual would have said something meaningful for me to respond to. If any of you could please direct me toward a valid point in that post I will gladly respond.

My post?? Thought it was pretty clear...

in the future feel free to PM me and I'll let you know if something is offensive or not...always glad to help!
By the way you should probably read posts before responding it might help you stay on track.

JMCarpenter said:
My post?? Thought it was pretty clear...

no, dynx's post. Yes. That was a stereotype, i.e., an unfounded generalization about all individuals who reside in the kentucky where there happen to be a lot of hills. Fortunately, I am aware that being both inadequately evidenced (I don't know where dynx is from or whether all people in the hills of kentucky are sheltered and ignorant), and A STEREOTYPE I knew that it would be insulting. Somehow this idea of stereotypes being insulting has become nebulous around here. However, maybe this happy accident of contradicting myself in anger will lead to more clarity on the issue. Stereotypes are rarely founded, but always offensive.

dynx said:
in the future feel free to PM me and I'll let you know if something is offensive or not...always glad to help!
By the way you should probably read posts before responding it might help you stay on track.

Again you do my work for me as you miss the point by a long shot. Do you think it's normal to assert what will and will not offend another person? I am black. I was offended. Many people have attempted to convey to you that they were offended or acknowledge the post as offensive. Myself and others have attempted to make you understand a fairly simple idea to no avail.

Well, I learned my lesson -- I learned to consider WHO I'm speaking to before I speak. Sarcasm, figurative language, reality -- remarkably, all of these pass unnoticed, right over your head. Look up from your self-centered microcosm...you might catch a glimpse. Provoking a person with extremely poor comprehension and reasoning abilities --clearly a bad idea. Thank God you went into medicine and not law
but then again...

By the way, I had the misfortune of reading every word your irrelevant babble. If I took the time to break your own foolishness down to you...my God...the kingdom will have come by then.

DrThom said:
Just so everyone knows,

Carry on.

As an Irish blonde, I'll gladly trade a blonde joke and bottle of brown hair dye for your Guiness. :luck:

I'm blonde, Irish, and yes Catholic. And my father hs more than a double digit number of siblings. What else? I think I'm supposed to be dumb. :luck:

In all honesty, both sides make good points. There is a middle ground between racial insensitivity and racial hypersensitivity. Will both sides please be kiss :luck: and make up? :love:

tchantel21 said:
Again you do my work for me as you miss the point by a long shot. Do you think it's normal to assert what will and will not offend another person? I am black. I was offended. Many people have attempted to convey to you that they were offended or acknowledge the post as offensive. Myself and others have attempted to make you understand a fairly simple idea to no avail.

Well, I learned my lesson -- I learned to consider WHO I'm speaking to before I speak. Sarcasm, figurative language, reality -- remarkably, all of these pass unnoticed, right over your head. Look up from your self-centered microcosm...you might catch a glimpse. Provoking a person with extremely poor comprehension and reasoning abilities --clearly a bad idea. Thank God you went into medicine and not law
but then again...

By the way, I had the misfortune of reading every word your irrelevant babble. If I took the time to break your own foolishness down to you...my God...the kingdom will have come by then.

Chantel--I wouldn't bother arguing with this dope any further. Some people are just ignorant oafs that roll around offending people and seriously are too stupid to understand *why* the other person is offensive. Good posts, though. The thing to remember about offensive jerks is that one day it they WILL offend the wrong person and pay the price for it ;)

tchantel21 said:
Stereotypes are rarely founded, but always offensive.

Actually I've found that many stereotypes have some basis in reality. As far as being offensive I don't really care that much, you'll never be able to please everyone. My main concern is the effect that stereotypes have on us when we meet someone new. They can cause us to trust people that we shouldn't and be unfriendly or short to people that are in fact kind-hearted and selfless. It always surprised me how often I would totally misjudg a person simply because of the manner in which they spoke.

I wonder how many letters SNL got about the ABM character. Hollywood is full of stereotypes. They are often humorous because, as I said before, they have some basis in reality. I'm actually surprised that more people aren't complaining about the homosexual stereotype. The homosexuality of some characters often serve as a comedy crutch, essentially making the character a clown.

getunconcsious said:
Chantel--I wouldn't bother arguing with this dope any further. Some people are just ignorant oafs that roll around offending people and seriously are too stupid to understand *why* the other person is offensive. Good posts, though. The thing to remember about offensive jerks is that one day it they WILL offend the wrong person and pay the price for it ;)

On the internet? Are you looking forward to them getting flamed or hacked?

i used to enjoy reading this thread because it was funny and because it gave me good advice about what not to do starting in 2 weeks. please stop bickering.

epalantequevoy said:
i used to enjoy reading this thread because it was funny and because it gave me good advice about what not to do starting in 2 weeks. please stop bickering.

I was wondering which would be a better example of what NOT to do.

A. Saying something that could offend some people

B. Calling someone out if someone could be offended by something that person said.

Medikit said:
I was wondering which would be a better example of what NOT to do.

A. Saying something that could offend some people

B. Calling someone out if someone could be offended by something that person said.
C. Neither

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but I bet the race of the "angry woman" wouldn't have even been brought up if it wasn't for the SNL skit.

What happened to this thread? Sheesh. :thumbdown:

akpete said:
I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but I bet the race of the "angry woman" wouldn't have even been brought up if it wasn't for the SNL skit.

I hear you... :thumbup: to funny anecdotes :thumbdown: to self righteous crusaders

akpete said:

I too am curious what happened to this thread. Despite being black myself, I was not offended by the joke. Who knew the very mention of a stereotype could cause such problems? I guess I'll have to keep my story regarding a classmate with Voice Immodulation under wraps for risk of someone with Van Horton's Syndrome attacking me on this thread (another great SNL sketch).

hmmm not sure this person has read the statement they think they are agreeing with quite thoroughly. I agree...I say let her be an "angry woman".

Sincerely sorry about the thread. This was, believe it or not my first (and last) internet debate.

tchantel21 said:

but then again...

This is a perfect example of the title for this thread. Come on, gimme a hug, there there, it will be alright......

tchantel21 said:
no, dynx's post. Yes. That was a stereotype.

:laugh: that was a point I made in my post...way to figure out what's going on slick. Stop working on your writing skills and get to the reading. Go back and actually read my posts, you might learn something. See this is the problem with YOU, you don't listen to people, you jump to conclusion, argue points way off topic, bring stuff out of no where. For example your LMAO in the mention of my "black friend" that I never brought up...were you laughing at the fact that there was an African American in my class? Are you able to form coherent responses to things that people actually say? Or do you have your "how to claim someone is a racist" guid book out in front of you:
Step one: Laugh when they claim to have black friends.
Think for yourself hun, ive seen this all before.

Portier said:
We had "Angry Black Woman" at my school. Showed up late to EVERY lectue, Looked ANGRY and SURPISED when she came in the front door and there's a lecture going on. He dogdged. I hit ABW in the face. I thought she was going to kill me. .
What's interesting to me as a black woman is not that you quoted an SNL skit or that tchantel21 responded to with probably the best posts I've EVER read on SDN.

What's interesting to me is that had "angry black woman" been "angry white woman" and been hit in the face with a snowball by 2 black male medical students playing around, the students would probably gotten their next view of snow from a jail cell.

Reactions: 1 user
1Path said:
What's interesting to me as a black woman is not that you quoted an SNL skit or that tchantel21 responded to with probably the best posts I've EVER read on SDN.

What's interesting to me is that had "angry black woman" been "angry white woman" and been hit in the face with a snowball by 2 black male medical students playing around, the students would probably gotten their next view of snow from a jail cell.

Well, I do believe that is a stereotypical response right there. The "if the races had been reversed" then "you know that the outcome would have been much worse". Great. Keep believing this line of thought. In fact, you sound like an angry person.

A list of the Angry people I have met:
The Angsty suburban white kid
The chafed Black Coworker
The disgruntled Drunk Redneck
The choleric effeminate gay male
The incensed emasculated lesbian
The splenetic octagenerian
The exacerbated white woman who is vexed at being a single mother
and last of all:
The galled girlfriend

The End

The frustrated SDNer who feels like the thread has been hijacked into something very different than the OP intended, all because some people are overly sensitive and must vent their insecurities publicly by attacking others.

[Inertial dampeners online...bracing for impact.]

Hi there,
I have another story from medical school: We were awaiting the chairman of surgery who was going to lecture us on transplant immunology. We had been warned to be on time and to look awake even though this would be the first lecture of the morning. The surgery chair arrived about 3 minutes late and began to lecture at rapid-fire pace. About 15 minutes into this intense lecture, we heard a very loud snoring and mumbling from the back of the room. The surgery chairman walked up to the snoring student and slammed a book down on his desk. The student awakened and attempted to jump out of his seat but got stuck and the whole thing tipped over. The chairman laughed so hard, he was in tears (and so was the student). At least he slowed the lecture down a bit. By the way, this student ended up matching in General Surgery but he never lived down the snoring or the teasing from our Surgery chairman.

Moral of Story: If you sleep in class, do not SNORE. If you snore, do not sleep in class.

njbmd :)

njbmd said:
Hi there,
I have another story from medical school: We were awaiting the chairman of surgery who was going to lecture us on transplant immunology. We had been warned to be on time and to look awake even though this would be the first lecture of the morning. The surgery chair arrived about 3 minutes late and began to lecture at rapid-fire pace. About 15 minutes into this intense lecture, we heard a very loud snoring and mumbling from the back of the room. The surgery chairman walked up to the snoring student and slammed a book down on his desk. The student awakened and attempted to jump out of his seat but got stuck and the whole thing tipped over. The chairman laughed so hard, he was in tears (and so was the student). At least he slowed the lecture down a bit. By the way, this student ended up matching in General Surgery but he never lived down the snoring or the teasing from our Surgery chairman.

Moral of Story: If you sleep in class, do not SNORE. If you snore, do not sleep in class.

njbmd :)
HAHAHH thank god njbmd!!!!!!!!!!!!! hear hear to more med stories!!!!!

dynx said:
:laugh: that was a point I made in my post...way to figure out what's going on slick. Stop working on your writing skills and get to the reading. Go back and actually read my posts, you might learn something. See this is the problem with YOU, you don't listen to people, you jump to conclusion, argue points way off topic, bring stuff out of no where. For example your LMAO in the mention of my "black friend" that I never brought up...were you laughing at the fact that there was an African American in my class? Are you able to form coherent responses to things that people actually say? Or do you have your "how to claim someone is a racist" guid book out in front of you:
Step one: Laugh when they claim to have black friends.
Think for yourself hun, ive seen this all before.

I'm not sure what to say to convince you that I am sincere in saying that you have made it beyond clear that you have not proven yourself worthy of further discussion. If you don't feel you've already made enough of a fool of yourself though...

You alluded to a black classmate whose presence on this forum suggests that you would not demonstrate behavior that might color you a racist (BTW does anyone notice how, other than quoting Dynx I’ve never even used the word racist ?;) you tickle me every time Dynx) This, like most of your points sounds like something a person might say if this argument were taking place in an 8th grade school yard. It was too reminiscent of the "well I have a black friend" plea for me to resist the sarcasm (I told you 2 keep your head up...I know...these things can b tricky :p ). Your talk about the danger to the girl's future career, the campaign for ensuring safe "delivery of distasteful opinions" to minorities in medical school...I am sincerely sorry darling, I wish you had something more to offer me than comic relief.

Clearly the topic is debatable. Others have raised perhaps the only valid argument in this debate. This stereotype may offend some and not others depending on their own background and experiences. I, among others was offended. However my responses are less of a reflection of my sensitivity to the post than they are a testament to my disbelief and amazement that someone who sounds like you is a)an adult and b) in medical school...I read your post...reread examples above that you've provided if you need to refresh your memory...makes you cringe doesn't it :(

Before embarrassing yourself by attempting to contend with me any further, ask yourself this before presenting an argument. Is this universally true? Does it rebut a particular point from the opposition? Am I being objective in my analysis or am I spewing nonsensical emotional dribble that has no bearing on my position (again, see examples you have provided for me above).

But seriously...all caustic-remarks-that-you're-expressively-defenseless-against aside though...Lets simplify.

The "Angry Black Woman" story has offended some on this thread and not others.

Any stereotype will be offensive to some and not others. This statement is objective and universally true BECAUSE the way a stereotype is interpreted is altogether personal and ENTIRELY subjective.

I, among others was offended and expressed the possibility that the story may be offensive to others and why. In addition, throughout all this I have never been sure why my doing so made you mad enough to throw 4 letter words in my direction and spew the disgruntled madness that was to follow (again, see above) I would not presume to tell you to share my regard for the post as offensive because you have not shared my (or any1 else who was offended) experiences.

You will never be able to never prove to me that any word, phrase or notion is or is not offensive to its subject. Nor can I. I can only substantiate why it MAY be. I have done this. You can only substantiate why it MAY NOT be. You have not done this. Instead, you defend the admittedly "distasteful opinion" by asserting that its "delivery" will actually make the people involved better people and the world a better place. You have expressed a number of other sentiments that lead me to the conclusion that :idea: I'm not dealing with the best or the brightest.

I responded to the same point from the other poster because while there was a chance that he may have half of a brain and reasoning abilities you have proven to me beyond the shadow of a doubt you are both delusional about your own reasoning abilities and capacity to construct a coherent and relevant argument.

I can't believe the anality that pervades this thread.

tchantel21 said:
I'm not sure what to say to convince you that I am sincere in saying that you have made it beyond clear that you have not proven yourself worthy of further discussion. If you don't feel you've already made enough of a fool of yourself though...

You alluded to a black classmate whose presence on this forum suggests that you would not demonstrate behavior that might color you a racist (BTW does anyone notice how, other than quoting Dynx I’ve never even used the word racist ?;) you tickle me every time Dynx) This, like most of your points sounds like something a person might say if this argument were taking place in an 8th grade school yard. It was too reminiscent of the "well I have a black friend" plea for me to resist the sarcasm (I told you 2 keep your head up...I know...these things can b tricky :p ). Your talk about the danger to the girl's future career, the campaign for ensuring safe "delivery of distasteful opinions" to minorities in medical school...I am sincerely sorry darling, I wish you had something more to offer me than comic relief.

Clearly the topic is debatable. Others have raised perhaps the only valid argument in this debate. This stereotype may offend some and not others depending on their own background and experiences. I, among others was offended. However my responses are less of a reflection of my sensitivity to the post than they are a testament to my disbelief and amazement that someone who sounds like you is a)an adult and b) in medical school...I read your post...reread examples above that you've provided if you need to refresh your memory...makes you cringe doesn't it :(

Before embarrassing yourself by attempting to contend with me any further, ask yourself this before presenting an argument. Is this universally true? Does it rebut a particular point from the opposition? Am I being objective in my analysis or am I spewing nonsensical emotional dribble that has no bearing on my position (again, see examples you have provided for me above).

But seriously...all caustic-remarks-that-you're-expressively-defenseless-against aside though...Lets simplify.

The "Angry Black Woman" story has offended some on this thread and not others.

Any stereotype will be offensive to some and not others. This statement is objective and universally true BECAUSE the way a stereotype is interpreted is altogether personal and ENTIRELY subjective.

I, among others was offended and expressed the possibility that the story may be offensive to others and why. In addition, throughout all this I have never been sure why my doing so made you mad enough to throw 4 letter words in my direction and spew the disgruntled madness that was to follow (again, see above) I would not presume to tell you to share my regard for the post as offensive because you have not shared my (or any1 else who was offended) experiences.

:love: I wish you would call ME darling...will I need to regress into my childhood/redneck roots and commence effusing ignorant, childish, borderline-bigoted drivel? 'Cause I'll do it if I must! :love:

:laugh: okay then. I'll just repeat. Lighten the F*ck up.

lil pook said:

one word of advice to the anal....

laughing at yourself..whether it be a racist, sexixst, or otherwise comment is often a VERY effective way of dealing with things you find offensive. Not everyone is trying to be offensive.. i PROMISE YOU.

and guess what??

if they are, laughing at it is a way to just throw it in their faces..

TRY IT!!!