What now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crab-apple

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To make a long story short it looks like I may have MS. I have been through hell this past week- I really thought I was dying. I haven't been officially diagnosed but the doctors seem pretty set on this being what is wrong with me. I get an MRI later this week and maybe a lumbar puncture. I am doing much better this week and am feeling more "normal" every day. I just don't see how I can go to medical school and be a doctor if I have this? I need to know if this is possible, and if so about how long I will be able to practice before this illness takes over my life (though I hope a cure will be found). What are some other careers I should consider?
Thank you in advance for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties. What stage of medical school are you in?

I'm not in yet, I am getting ready to apply- now I am rethinking everything. I just thought that someone already in med school might have more insight.

Members don't see this ad :)
Crab-apple said:
To make a long story short it looks like I may have MS. I have been through hell this past week- I really thought I was dying. I haven't been officially diagnosed but the doctors seem pretty set on this being what is wrong with me. I get an MRI later this week and maybe a lumbar puncture. I am doing much better this week and am feeling more "normal" every day. I just don't see how I can go to medical school and be a doctor if I have this? I need to know if this is possible, and if so about how long I will be able to practice before this illness takes over my life (though I hope a cure will be found). What are some other careers I should consider?
Thank you in advance for any advice.

Hi there,
My aunt, diagnosed with MS at age 24. Graduated from Cornell Medical School. Board certified in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Pediatrics (Duke trained). Practiced neurology and pediatrics up to age 70 and now enjoying retirement and travel. Not only was there no cure and still no cure for MS but few good medications for treatment back when she was diagnosed.

She married an internist/cardiologist and raised two wonderful children.

Now you know it can be done. The question that remains is what is stopping you?

njbmd :)

I cannot tell you how much your reply meant to me- thank you so much! This is what I want more than anything- I just needed to know that it was possible.

Thank you again!

i am so sorry to hear that. i just prayed for you and i just really hope that you can find some hope in the face of this.

i'm so sorry to hear that, and i wish you the best whatever the diagnosis. also, good luck in your application for this cycle. :luck: :luck: :luck:

Hey Crab-apple go and kick some butt! Good luck!

I know a couple grad students with relapsing-remitting MS, and they are doing well. One is defending her dissertation next month. Neither saw it as a barrier to pursuing their long-term career goals. That said, one of them has to take a few days off every couple years for IV steroid treatment when she has an acute attack. So you may need to pay more attention to your school's medical leave policy than most people. When you get the official diagnosis, you might want to talk to teh dean or whoever in the dean's office deals with student issues...

Good luck!

I don't have specific info about MS and med school (clearly others here do) but I do have experience being a med student with a disability and it can be done! I have trouble with my hands and with balance, among other things. I'm now a third year med student. Let me know yere or via PM if you want to talk about dealing with a new diagnoses, or the application process or clinical years or whatever.

Hi there.. Sorry to hear about your situation.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/dome/0502/top_story.cfm

If you need some inspiration, take a look at this article abour Dr S.B. Lee, currently chief resident at Hopkins in rehab medicine.

He was training to compete as a gymnast for the 1988 Seoul Olympics when he fell and sustained spinal cord injury, which resulted in partial quadriplegia.

He then got into university, did a postgraduate degree in publich health before going to Dartmouth to study medicine.

The difficulties this guy had to overcome is much greater than those of a MS sufferer. Spinal cord injury victims have problem with bowel/urinary continence as well as dysfunctional autonomic nervous system (e.g. they may not be able to control their temperature), as well as the obvious paralysis. He had to fight with the faculty of medicine to introduce various disabled-friendly equipment, on top of all the study.

I heard that a new drug for MS is coming out, called natalizumab. In a recent clinical trial (NEJM 2003;348:15), it was found to reduce the frequency of relapse by 70% compared to placebo. Now that's great news!

So keep strong, and have faith

Ezekiel

First, let me tell you that I am sorry for what you've been going through. As someone with a chronic (incurable) illness, I totally understand your fears. I'm not here to tell my own story, since it's not MS, but just rest assured that obstacles are only that, and can be moved or avoided, so follow your dream!

MS is so different from one person to the next, it is impossible to say how you will be (if that turns out to be the actual diagnosis). There does seem to be one resounding theme with the severity and quality of life for MS patients-- and that's stress. Yes, med school is stressful, but that's not the end of it. As NJBMD mentioned, many have gone through med school (or other stressful careers) and done just fine. It's more a matter of outlook, and how you react to the stress.

Not to sound corny, but look at Montel Williams... he was in really bad shape for a time, but he's worked really hard to stay in physical shape as well as maintain the right attitude. I'm sure he has his bad days, but he focuses on the good and tries to do good things for other people. I think med school is just the perfect outlet for this kind of attitude. It might not always be easy, but it is so rewarding.

OK, I don't want to make this a very long post, but know that you have supporters out here and we are always ready to lend an ear.

Take care,
FDoRoML

I am sorry about the diagnosis. But like all of the previous posts I think that you should keep moving towards medical school. My best friend was diagnosed with MS at 22 and she is now 34 and doing fine. She has her ups and downs with it but works, is married and is thinking about having children soon. So, it can be done.

I want to thank everyone for the support and encouragement! I have been struggling with feeling defeated and it means so much to me to hear stories of others who have succeeded. I am not a quitter- I am too pigheaded to quit. I am finally feeling clear headed again (tho I still have twitching and tingling, and stumbling when I walk). I know that God has a plan for my life even if I don't know what it is. Through all of this (and all the testing yet to come) I am just grateful that I am the one that is struggling with this and not a loved one.

I also wanted to comment on the stress- I love stress- if I don't have a million things going on at all times I get restless! I know I can handle med school- even if it means taking time off when things get like they were last week and realizing my limits (what? me? Limits?). I also need to remember not to make any life changing decisions when I am in that situation- I ended up asking for and recieving an I in one class because what had been easy for me was complete Greek.

Sorry this got so long!
Thank you again- everyone here is so awesome!!