What % of EM docs are employed by the hospital?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjakec

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello-
My only exposure to EM is in the academic setting and I have a question about private practice: Do the physicians own their own group and have a contract with the hospital (like anesthesia) or are they a direct hospital employee?

Thanks,
Jake

Members don't see this ad.

Usually they are their own group and have a contract with the hospital. Actually at Wake Forest it is that way as well.

I'm looking at loan repayment options, and and if I can work directly for a non profit hospital (most hospitals in America), I can essentially have all my loans paid off 5 yrs out of residency. However, I'm not sure if it would work if I worked for a group that had a contract with the hospital (not directly employed by the hospital).

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm looking at loan repayment options, and and if I can work directly for a non profit hospital (most hospitals in America), I can essentially have all my loans paid off 5 yrs out of residency. However, I'm not sure if it would work if I worked for a group that had a contract with the hospital (not directly employed by the hospital).

I've been trying to get a definitive answer for this as well. From what I've found, it's mostly large academic centers with residents who directly employ EM docs, but that's not a definitive answer. I'm still searching for more info.

I've been trying to get a definitive answer for this as well. From what I've found, it's mostly large academic centers with residents who directly employ EM docs, but that's not a definitive answer. I'm still searching for more info.

That's because there is no definitive answer. It varies by hospital. Some academic centers will have all of their physicians as hospital employees, others will have them all employed by physician groups, others will be a mixture depending on specialty.

I should probably point out that if you choose a job in an "Eat What You Kill" group at a community hospital and work your butt off for a year or three, the fact that you don't get your loans repaid by the gummint will be completely irrelevant.

That's because there is no definitive answer. It varies by hospital. Some academic centers will have all of their physicians as hospital employees, others will have them all employed by physician groups, others will be a mixture depending on specialty.

I should probably point out that if you choose a job in an "Eat What You Kill" group at a community hospital and work your butt off for a year or three, the fact that you don't get your loans repaid by the gummint will be completely irrelevant.[/QUOTE]

Unless you graduate with 300-360k in loans :scared:

Unless you graduate with 300-360k in loans :scared:

Even then. Unless you live very expensively.

A lot of FFS groups will allow for you to earn 400k + per year if you work hard and more if you consider doing 1-2 additional shifts per month during that time just coming out of residency.

I work for a corporation (you know, one of those pseudo corporations with 5 members) that holds the hospital contract.

The hospital recruited me to the group and gave me $40,000 loan repayment and the ER group gave me $10,000 signing bonus. The catch is that I'm stuck here for another 4 years minimum, unless I want to pay back what I haven't worked off yet (gets forgiven a certain percentage over the next four years.)

It really doesn't matter whether or not you work for the hospital. If you piss the hospital off, they will simply take away your privileges whether your employer wants you to work for them or not.

Loan repayment isn't all its cracked up to be. Get a good job in a place that you would like to live. Live within your means and you'll pay down those debts in no time. Just don't do what most stupid young doctors do (drive BMWs, by a ginormous house, and vacation in tahiti 2 times a year). If you want to live ridiculously, fine, just don't do it until you are out of debt.