Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

What % of med school applicants do you think are on SDN?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MakeItRain2007, May 15, 2007.

1. MakeItRain2007

Medical Student
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. geneticclone

geneticclone Guest

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
  4. lilnoelle

Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    I have a hard time guessing, I think probably less than 10% of my class spends any time here and only about 3 of us post occasionally. (I think I'm the only frequent one in my class)

5. CATallergy

Non-Student
    well, there are 1,200,000 posts in pre-allo.

using the following assumptions:
    250 medical schools in america
    100 students per class
    5 classes have posted in sdn
    an average of 1 post per student
    50% applicants get into medical school

The answer is: for five years in a row, approximately 480% of medical applicants use SDN

pretty exciting - we should make t-shirts

6. eikenhein

eikenhein my cat is awesome, his name is bandit
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    huh??

7. Oceaner

Oceaner Certified smartass

haha... yes. I'd wear that...

Of course, that's why none of us are doing graduate level math (unless there is one of you freaks out there?)

8. gsmithers68

Medical Student
    I think only about 5% post on here... maybe less.

I would venture to say that about 25% peruse the threads for information as guests and/or have heard about it.

9. gary5

gary5 Senior Member

I'd say 5%.

10. Funky

Funky This space is for sale

Pre-Medical
    It seems like most pre meds I talk to dont know what sdn is. What a pity. We need more gunners here.

11. braluk

braluk SDN Surgerynator
    Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    Varies place to place. I was recognized in the interview trail because of SDN in two different locations (I had my picture up for my avatar for a little while) and had some 5-10 students from my alma mater PM me saying they recognized. Then again some others dont know anything about it. Its too varied

12. IDontKnow

Medical Student
  13. postbacker

postbacker Banned
    Banned

Non-Student
    I think it is fairly low, likely single digits...many med school applicants have no need for SDN because of their state school situation - for a lot of people, they never look outside of their own state...ever notice the underrepresented states on SDN? Sort of an 80/20 rule in effect (80 percent of SDNers come from 20 percent of the states)...85/15 might be even closer to the case on SDN...

Also seems to me that SDN is divided evenly between applicants with highly competitive profiles and people on the lower fringe...don't see as many 30/3.6 posters here...

14. alwaysaangel

Resident [Any Field]
    This makes sense since at least half of the applicants I know know about SDN. But I'm from California...

15. postbacker

postbacker Banned
    Banned

Non-Student
    California is probably the best example of a highly populated state with tough in-state admissions that more or less forces applicants to explore out of state options. Among other heavily populated states, Massachusetts seems to have limited in-state options (at least in public schools), so lots of those folks are on SDN gathering info. Texas, New York, Florida, Illinois, and Ohio residents seem to have pretty good in-state options, so there are relatively fewer SDNers from those states...and on and on...

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. tredici

tredici Member

Pre-Medical

I'm a 30/3.6er !

18. Me too!

19. imagined space

Medical Student
    I was very shocked to hear that almost everyone at my drexel interview tour (all 20 some people in attendance) laughed at a joke referencing sdn. Pre-meds might just be conditioned to follow the crowd and laugh like sheep. More likely, however is that the majority of the people there have heard of the site, which was pretty impressive.

20. lilnoelle

Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    I actually feel like an idiot some times when referencing SDN as a place where I get my info concerning medical school and residency because no one knows what I'm talking about at my school. Everyone looks at me pretty blankly and doubts the material I'm saying because I got it from a website they've never heard of.
    (OK, I'm exaggerating the reaction, but I do feel sorta silly referencing SDN and having people look at me blankly)

21. spospo

spospo Going to extremes

Medical Student
    other than at interviews, i had never met anyone else who knew about sdn. my school doesn't have a strong pre-med program (only 3 seniors this year), so it isn't like i got a lot of counseling about applying. if i hadn't stumbled upon sdn, i would have been lost. one of my undergrad pre-med friends seemed a little clueless about the whole process, so i introduced her to it. i guess i am spreading the addiction. that's not a bad thing, right?

22. Dr2Bee

Medical Student
    i say about 70% have been on or know of SDN.

23. baylormed

baylormed On the Search

Post Doc
    Well, that's the point. If they were true gunners they would already be here. If they haven't found SDN, then they don't deserve the honor of being called "gunners." :D

24. notgettingin

At almost all of my interviews, someone mentioned the interview question portion of SDN, and everyone knew exactly what they were talkign about. Also, I have had two interviewers ask me if I have heard these questions before online at SDN.

My guess would be 60-70% of applicants have found this site. But most do not post.

25. Cirrus83

Cirrus83 Too old for this

Attending Physician
    Yeah at all of my interviews it seemed like people had reviewed the interview questions on SDN (since we were talking about what we had prepped for and whether we got the questions, etc.)
    And at Buffalo they simply asked who uses studentdoctor.net and the vast majority of people raised their hands so...