What % of your PS is about your previous career?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nontrads: What % of your PS is about your previous career?

• 0-10%

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • 10-25%

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • 25-50%

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • >50%

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

onb2014

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I write my PS, I'm curious how much space my fellow non-trads devote to their previous career. As this is a medical school PS, it can't be too much, but adcomms probably want to hear your rationale for making the career switch.

Since presumably the longer you've been out of college, the more you talk about your previous career in your PS, please include how long you've been out of school.

Members don't see this ad.

In my previous career I worked for a medical college, working both with patients and with medical students. It was because of that career that I chose to quit working, return to college, and pursue admission to medical school, so my PS is centered around my experiences there and the reasons for my decision.

As I write my PS, I'm curious how much space my fellow non-trads devote to their previous career. As this is a medical school PS, it can't be too much, but adcomms probably want to hear your rationale for making the career switch.

Since presumably the longer you've been out of college, the more you talk about your previous career in your PS, please include how long you've been out of school.

9%. 74/831 words. I got accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
About 40% or so I'd guess.

::looks up actual PS::

6 of 12 Paragraphs.

Though several of them are about why what I used to do led me towards medicine (albeit indirectly).

I'm much older than even most nontrads, so I had a 20-year career in another field. This took up 1,037 characters out of 5,300 in my PS, or 20%. (1% per year? :))

But even then, most of the career-related material was about why I always wanted to do medicine instead of that career.

As I start formulating my PS in my head, I'll probably have a 10-20% inclusion of my previous career as I have been working in the medical field for sometime.

4 sentences. So most of one fairly short paragraph.

Less than 25% but more than 10% I think.