What OMT techniques to learn from COMLEX PE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ketafol

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not a big OMT guru, in fact, I have forgotten most of it since I have used it very little since 2nd year. I am worried since I know some patients will require OMT during the PE examination.

How many cases on average will you have to use OMT? What kind of level of OMT is expected? Can you get by with simple soft tissue and muscle energy techniques? Also, is all of the manipulation spinal in nature, or are you expected to use it on extremities as well (ie. a patient with knee/shoulder/etc. pain)? Can I just learn one technique for each of the spinal levels and be all good? Share your stories.

Thanks so much guys. Cant wait to have this one done.

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend soft tissue, MFR, and deep tissue articulation....less harsh, the better.

That's just my opinion...I guess I'll know if I passed or not.

I am not a big OMT guru, in fact, I have forgotten most of it since I have used it very little since 2nd year. I am worried since I know some patients will require OMT during the PE examination.

How many cases on average will you have to use OMT? What kind of level of OMT is expected? Can you get by with simple soft tissue and muscle energy techniques? Also, is all of the manipulation spinal in nature, or are you expected to use it on extremities as well (ie. a patient with knee/shoulder/etc. pain)? Can I just learn one technique for each of the spinal levels and be all good? Share your stories.

Thanks so much guys. Cant wait to have this one done.

Just found out I passed today. When ever OMT was indicated I did ST (everyone on complaint area) and then: as indicated: ME for back, neck, hips. Did FPR for thoracics. In retrospect, the best thing I did was verbalize each technique and why I was doing it. I didnt have any extremity complaints, but I know other that did. Hope this helps

My suggestion is to learn a couple of techniques but know them well. Myofascial was my big thing for PE. It's legit, it's quick (remember, you're kind of under time constraints here), not too disturbing to a patient. And you can explain as you're doing, how you're stretching the muscles and minimizing restrictions...

Muscle energy--I think I did that for maybe one patient.

Counterstrain I personally would not do unless you're superquick with your H&P. I wasn't.

Remember to reassess in the end and ask patient if he/she feels better. They might say "no", in which case you can suggest more treatments :)

I passed, so I must've done something right...

Members don't see this ad :)
Just touch the patient in the area of the complaint and say you are doing OMT to help with their problem. Looks like myofascial to the people grading and you don't really have to know anything. This is what I did and I passed.:)

Are we supposed to present the assessment and plan to each patient at the conclusion of the encounter? Also, for patients with psychiatric complaints, do we perform an entire mini mental status exam?

Are we supposed to present the assessment and plan to each patient at the conclusion of the encounter? Also, for patients with psychiatric complaints, do we perform an entire mini mental status exam?

According to first aid for cs exam, the answers are yes and yes. We should go over what we think is going on and what we are going to do with every pt. and you should do a mini mental for a psych issue (and be prepared for this (o;

Also, I did OMT on 5/12 pts. Some say around 4/12. You most likely won't do it on all 12. If they seem to need it - then do it. But don't search for something - it's usually pretty obvious.

I heard a story about a guy who learned one for each body part,

IE, something for the neck, back, low back, pelvis, yada yada yada

And I also heard that he/she only did OMM on about 4/12. As far as what type of OMM, you know you can't do HVLA. I would suggest myofascial, muscle energy, or articulation.... Something that feels goood.....

And don't worry about it.... ya are either flunk it or you don't and I'm not sure anything you do in the actual test has anything to do with it.

Just be nice and remember to wash your hands!