What on earth can i do next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smetin92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and girls,

I am a final year medical student at cambridge university. I have done USMLE steps 1 (260), step 2cs and 2cs (263). i am unable to apply to the match this year as i need my degree right now to get ECFMG certification. I have no idea what i am going to do next year. I would ideally like some time to do step 3 and therefore am not really considering doing the UK Doctor Foundation Programme here. I would ideally like to find ANY reason to move to the USA 1 year early for something to do that is a) not a waste of my time and b) i can have some study time. Does anyone have any advice for me please? I am feeling a bit lost. If all else fails i might try and do a MSc or a PhD (i already have an MSc in pharmacology so i feel this may be a bit overkill)

Cheers,

Simon

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need an ECFMG cert to apply to the match. Just your steps, and that you'll have your ECFMG by the time training starts. But it's getting late to apply this year -- you'll have to hurry if that's what you decide to do.

You don't need an ECFMG cert to apply to the match. Just your steps, and that you'll have your ECFMG by the time training starts. But it's getting late to apply this year -- you'll have to hurry if that's what you decide to do.

I thought this too. But i contacted many residency programmes and they say that if you don't have ECFMG Certification by Feb/Mar then they remove you from their application pool

Members don't see this ad :)
This siimply is not the case. Plenty of applicants from carib schools match each year, and then graduate, get an ECFMG cert, and start. Some programs might demand one to be considered -- but you're coming from a great school with outstanding scores. If you have good US experience and LOR's, you could apply to good univ programs and probably get interviewed. I point this out for the next person's sake, not to make you feel bad -- if you haven't started the application process yet, you're going to be very late for this year now.

Mcdonalds is always hiring