What online Organic Chemistry resource would you recommend to work on over the summer in preparation for Organic Chem I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premedwithaspergers

Reaction score
Hey y’all, I’m finishing up Gen Chem II this semester and am about to endeavor into Organic Chem I for the Fall semester. I’m just wondering if any of y’all have any suggestions for spending my summer preparing for the class? I’d even take an entire O-Chem class online for a reasonable price in order to be properly prepared. What do y’all suggest?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The Organic Chemistry as a Second Language book is one of the best resources out there. It's $20 or $30 on Amazon.

Reactions: 4 users
The Organic Chemistry Tutor on youtube was the most valuable resource I found. Watch those videos on repeat while also doing practice problems and you should be able to get higher than a B.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm not sure if this will be available to you because of COVID, but I looked at my local community college for this. I just went on their website to see when their Orgo lecture met and I sat in on classes for the summer course. No one suspected I was not a student lol

I've heard of people getting in trouble for theft of educational services for this.

Hey y’all, I’m finishing up Gen Chem II this semester and am about to endeavor into Organic Chem I for the Fall semester. I’m just wondering if any of y’all have any suggestions for spending my summer preparing for the class? I’d even take an entire O-Chem class online for a reasonable price in order to be properly prepared. What do y’all suggest?

Thanks!

I would also recommend just looking at the syllabus for the professor you are going to take or plan to take. See what textbook you use and the chapters that are covered and then go on lib gen or something to get the textbook for free. Then you can review or read the chapters beforehand to get some exposure to the material beforehand. You really don't need to study too hard before the class. I found that as long as you keep up with the material as you go and don't fall behind, it's not too bad!

Reactions: 1 users
UC Irvine's free online class! They have one year's worth of free organic chemistry lectures online + lecture notes and she's a great professor.

Reactions: 1 users
I used to pre-read a lot during breaks but it never seemed to be worth the effort so I eventually stopped. Enjoy your time off while you still get it. I read part of Organic Chemistry as a Second Language but it really didn't help me in-class.