What opportunities are their for international externships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

romo2austin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Good question! And while we're on the subject, how about employment abroad?

I don't know of anything specific, but I would check with your specific prospective programs. Even if they don't have an exchange program with other countries, they can often point you in the right direction for internships.

I looked into this matter when I first got into grad school. I found that there are some opportunities in Australia and New Zealand for externships as well as employement. From what I hear, they are in dire need of audiologists in NZ. I seriously contemplated this for an externship as they train you and prepare you for the NZ board certification. I did a quite a bit of research on the NZ idea and was pretty excited about it. The only thing that really kept me from going for it was cost. You get a stipend (depending on where you go), but it wasn't enough for me to be able to survive (I have bills). Another thing you might consider is that they expect a few years of work out of you once they train you. I was told that 3 years is what I should expect to contribute after I graduate. You may find a place that doesn't require the 3 years, but I would imagine they'd want some sort of return on their investment. An extern's pay range (which would normally be hired on as a tech) is between $40k and 50k NZD. Once graduated and certified it goes up to about $80k NZD (currently, that is about $54k USD).

Of course you get to live in the beautiful land of Kiwi. I may still end up there one day.