What options are available to me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johnny0001-

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently performing well in college and my hopes are to attend medical school. However, I'm a 5'4 male and don't necessarily understand the options I'd have as a doctor. I was interested in Orthopedics but most of those guys are about 6'3.

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure if height matters where you are able to practice. Its odd to think that you being 5'4 will prevent you from going into Orthopedics.

I can't figure out if this is a serious question or not...

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Start lifting weights and wrestling bears...now son.

Reactions: 1 user
I've had short-statured students, male and female. First get into med school, then worry about specialty. Orthopedics is all carpentry anyway.

I am currently performing well in college and my hopes are to attend medical school. However, I'm a 5'4 male and don't necessarily understand the options I'd have as a doctor. I was interested in Orthopedics but most of those guys are about 6'3.

tumblr_lp1ys7Qava1qe6m28o1_1280.png

There is a female orthopedic surgeon at the hospital where I work who is about that height. There's another surgeon who is easily 6'6". They both seem to do the job just fine as do all the others who fall somewhere between.

Reactions: 1 users

You are more likely to run into barriers involving academics/intellect, application, acceptance, performing well in med school, etc. than height. The question makes me wonder if you might find speaking with a professional helpful in overcoming some personal fears/self-doubts. Doing such can be invaluable in promoting future success.

You're worried about being 5'4? Really?
That must mean I'm incapable of pediatrics since I'm such a tall woman at 6'0". Children run screaming from me. It's like I'm the giant and they are Jack.

Reactions: 2 users
There is no barrier to ortho by being short, per se. However, as a trainee you may forever have to stand on a stool in the OR to assist, because the table is always set at the height most comfortable for the attending, and as an attending nobody is going to want to assist you because they will all get back strain bending over the low table. So height does have benefits.

You should definitely try hanging by your arms from a swing set, Brady Bunch style, until you grow 4 or 5 inches, before you start med school. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Well I guess I am screwed, there go my dreams! I am 5' even, so I probably have to stop learning medicine and go be an oompa loompa (like my husband always suggested). Medicine is based on hard work and skill. Can you learn all the things? Good, you shall pass. Did not learn all the things? Remediate or pick another door. Height is not in the equation. And for real, trolls go back to your bridge (ain't nobady got time for that).