What options does a Ukraine (which is outside EU) have to study/work in Sweden?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cm100

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I am new to this forum, and actually just registered to ask and investigate this. I have actually fallen in love with a girl from Ukraine and I am trying my very best to figure out what options we have. This is our situation.

She is an Ukrainian citizen. She is 24 years old reading to become a doctor of medicine, specialized in ophthalmology. She has just finished off her 6 years of basic studies and she now only has 2 years left to be a real doctor, meaning she only has her internship left.

Ukraine is not a part of EU / EEA.

Now since (no offence) Sweden is a slightly "better" country compared to Ukraine, I would like her to move here and study/work as a doctor, as being a doctor in Ukraine is a low status profession with low salary.

So, I am trying to figure out what options we have..

Option 1
She continues her 2 years internship in Ukraine and then try and apply for a Swedish medical license, as described here:

http://www.socialstyrelsen.se/applicationforswedishlicencetopractiseothercountries/doctorofmedicine

This will take 2 years of internship in Ukraine + 1 year learning Swedish + 2 years additional internship in Sweden, a total of 5 years.

However, I don't know the success rate for this? I have also heard doing this is crazy hard to complete. Is this true?

Option 2
From what I can see, foreigners can't study to be a doctor in Sweden. It is not an alternative at studyinsweden.se.

Is it possible that she can move to Sweden, learn 1 year of Swedish, then apply for medical studies (from scratch)?

According to this site:

http://www.studentum.se/Laekarprogrammet_21046.htm

"Ansökan och behörighet

The requirements to apply are (in Swedish): "Behörighet: Grundläggande samt Biologi B, Fysik B, Kemi B, Matematik D (områdesbehörighet 13).

Urval: Betyg: 66 %, Högskoleprov: 34 %."

However, for an person coming from Ukraine, she won't have all these, right? As it is based on Swedish school system.

Is this option just impossible?

If it is possible everything would take 1 year Swedish, 5.5 years basic training, 2 years internship, meaning 8.5 additional years...?

Option 3
Forget about being a doctor, move and study and to something else (like Computer Science) in Sweden. However, her dream is to be a doctor, so I am not sure this is even an option.

Option 4?
What other options are there?

If anyone else have any suggestions or comments on how we can make this (if even possible), or what option is "best", please share your comment :)

Any advice on this topic would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.