what organic chemistry textbook did you use?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hornblower

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently taking Organic Chemistry I and we are using the textbook "Organic Chemistry" by Janice Smith. Please post what text your class was assigned and whether you attended a four year college or CC.

The problems in the Smith text seem VERY easy. Has anyone else taken Organic I using her text? What do you think about the difficultly level ?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I used the 5th edition book authored by Bruice when I took Ochem I and II. The problems were a bit difficult, but I felt like it did a good job explaining the different concepts we went over.

My prof wrote my book, and we use it a lot. It explains the concepts really well, and out of all of the ochem classes, mine is the toughest but most fun.

The book is: Organic Chemistry by G. Marc Loudon
(It comes with a study guide that is really good to have)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the same Organic Chemistry textbook by Smith and yes... the problems are way easy. I go to a four year school and it was assigned.

Its a pain in the ass, I don't think I get enough practice on harder problems for the exams. Even after going to the profs office hours and doing the problems our TA e-mails us, I never feel prepared enough. Is it the same way for anyone else with this book?

we used Organic Chemistry 6th edition by John McMurry, not too crappy i guess, but my OchemII professor did't really follow the book... tests are insane but so are 20pt curves lol

I used the 5th edition book authored by Bruice when I took Ochem I and II. The problems were a bit difficult, but I felt like it did a good job explaining the different concepts we went over.

I used the 5th edition of "organic chemistry" by Paula Bruice as well. She is also my professor :p at UCSB. Everything she said is exactly the same as on the book, pretty boring, ending up just reading the book instead going to the class

J. McMurry 6th, mostly used professor notes

Smith is where it is at. the problems do tend to get a little harder in the early twenties.

Is the Smith text intentionally easy?

Getting 99s makes me warm and fuzzy, but then I feel guilty in the morning.

Is the Smith text intentionally easy?

Getting 99s makes me warm and fuzzy, but then I feel guilty in the morning.

I dont know, but I have never made anything below an A on any organic test. So it does the trick.:laugh:

I really liked Bruice. I used it for practice problems quite a bit, and actually still use it for reference now.

I am currently taking Organic Chemistry I and we are using the textbook "Organic Chemistry" by Janice Smith. Please post what text your class was assigned and whether you attended a four year college or CC.

The problems in the Smith text seem VERY easy. Has anyone else taken Organic I using her text? What do you think about the difficultly level ?

I used Smith too for my second semester at a CC. What's the deal with her daughter writing the solutions manual? Why can't I get involved in a scam like that?

Anyway, I rocked that standardazied national exam thing they give so it is good enough if you understand the concepts.

Members don't see this ad :)
She also included a photo of her adopted twins to describe the mirror image concepts in stereochemistry. I guess the royalties cover their lunch money.

My biggest concern is cake problems will not prepare me for the PCAT.

She also included a photo of her adopted twins to describe the mirror image concepts in stereochemistry. I guess the royalties cover their lunch money.

what's an example of what you consider a cake problem?

Honestly, it is fine for the PCAT. I took the PCAT after my first semester and we used an online book with almost no practice problems. I got a 95. The organic problems on the PCAT aren't really that hard. It is mostly nomenclature and some pretty basic reactions. Just work on understanding the concepts and it is enough.

I am using Organic Chemistry by Wade 6th edition. I think it explains topics really well.

I am using Organic Chemistry by Wade 6th edition. I think it explains topics really well.

x2. I'm not a big textbook guy (most of them seem dry and frivolous, making it difficult to comprehend the core concept), but I found Wade's book very easy to learn from, as it contained far more valuable information than it did copyright-driven bull****.

We used Organic Chemistry by LG Wade, Jr: http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Chemistry-Leroy-Skip-Wade/dp/0131478710/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I attend a 4 year college. What helped me through orgo was the solution manual, orgo as a 2nd language (1 & 2), pushing the electrons, and orgo chem demystified.

I used this book as well and have only good things to say about it. My university switched to McMurray the semester after I finished organic II and fortunately I did not have to use that book. Wade is more geared towards chemistry majors while McMurray targets bio/pre-health students.

We use volldhardt's organic chemistry.
He teaches at my school. :(

McMurry 6th ed. I thought it was a pretty good book.

I go to a 4 year college and I'm also using the 5th edition of Organic Chemistry by Bruice for Ochem I and II. I agree some of her problems could be difficult but overall I really like the book especially the summary of reactions at the end of each chapter.

Well seem like a lot ppl use Bruice's book. At least at UCSB we use Bruice's book as well, cuz Bruice is here. The book is very comprehensive, so going to her class is pointless

i go to cal so im using volldhardt lol blahh he and his ferrari

We used Organic Chemistry by LG Wade, Jr: http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Chemistry-Leroy-Skip-Wade/dp/0131478710/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I attend a 4 year college. What helped me through orgo was the solution manual, orgo as a 2nd language (1 & 2), pushing the electrons, and orgo chem demystified.

Wades the best problem helpful when trying to understand the concepts of organic. Organic isn't a easily class to pass hard work and perseverance will get you through tho.

Amazon product

Trust me. Use David R. Klein's textbook. You will understand Ochem backwards and forwards. Once you understand the 'why' of it you can answer any question. My university used the Wade textbook. I never cracked it even once. I used only klein's Ochem as a second language for first semester and second semester and got straight A's. If you want to be a good doctor don't just memorize the mechanisms try to really understand them! Klein will help with this immeasurably!

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with Klein's Organic Chemistry textbook. 1st or 2nd edition. It is amazing. Made me love ochem. Got As in both classes.

Reactions: 1 user
Amazon product

Trust me. Use David R. Klein's textbook. You will understand Ochem backwards and forwards. Once you understand the 'why' of it you can answer any question. My university used the Wade textbook. I never cracked it even once. I used only klein's Ochem as a second language for first semester and second semester and got straight A's. If you want to be a good doctor don't just memorize the mechanisms try to really understand them! Klein will help with this immeasurably!

I agree with Klein's Organic Chemistry textbook. 1st or 2nd edition. It is amazing. Made me love ochem. Got As in both classes.

Organic Chemistry by David Klein is the best one hands down. Used for Ochem 2. Simplifies concepts, makes you love the subject.

In my school we used Francis Carey organic chemistry. I loved it and fell I love with organic chem. McMurry organic chem with biological approach is the same to Carey. I also bought couple more textbook for myself. I didn't like Wade too much, it's not organized to me. They other book is great, but also concepts are all over the place - Joel Karty. Has amazing review for gen chem at the beginning.
Last I used to brush up some skills and quick review is organic chem as 2 language 2 semester.
But too me Carey is the best organized

Textbooks? Come on guys we're in 2017, don't waste your money