Medical What Osteopathic/DO schools have classes, lab, and OMM strictly only from 8am-12pm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's been 4 years since I've been to SDN. I'm new to the new website UI and didn't know where to post my question. I hope this is the right place. Are there any osteopathic/DO schools that have lectures, anatomy labs, and OMM strictly only from 8am-12pm, instead of 8am-5pm? I heard most DO schools have classes and lab from 8am-5pm, leaving reduced time for studying making students more inclined to do all or late nighters more often. I have a tenant living in my home who's just turned into an M3 at PCOM-GA and this is what I've heard from her.

I've heard there's DO schools that have classes, lab and OMM only from 8am-12pm, but I don't know which schools those are. I take sleep very seriously as I struggled with getting sleep on tough classes, and I worry very much about schools that are 8am-5pm class time because it may be easier for me to fall to sleep deprivation in those daily routines. Anybody that's in DO school now have a 8am-12pm class + lab time?
Not sure which schools (if any) have courses that end at noon every day. I would lean towards probably none. Instead of looking into which schools have these hours, look at schools that don't have mandatory attendance so that you can make your own hours for lecture.

Members don't see this ad.

I think one of the more public DO forums might be a better bet in terms of gleaning this information; This forum tends to cater more to admissions questions from people who need confidentiality. Thus, there are a limited number of people who can actually see your post and respond, most of whom are well past being in medical school. The forum is linked below:

I think it's best to ask in the DO Student or the school-specific forums.

My school does NOT have classes only from 8-noon. I think that you'll be hard pressed to even find many MD schools with a schedule like that.

I'm also going to say while you may like to be sure you have lectures between 8 and noon, you better keep your afternoons open for labs and preclinicals that will easily fill up your afternoons in a rather non-regular/periodic way. Even if we wind up with online classes -- some may be recorded -- you better get a handle on your sleep issues. Medical school will actually be hard and you need to be extremely disciplined to successfully adjust.

Status
Not open for further replies.