What other electives are recommended besides pathology during 4th year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hasy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a third year student interested in path. I have two pathology rotations scheduled, and am planning on doing hem-onc, radiology, and dermatology. What other elective are recommended? Any input would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Infectious disease, perhaps? Besides what you listed, that's all I got.

Hello,

I am a third year student interested in path. I have two pathology rotations scheduled, and am planning on doing hem-onc, radiology, and dermatology. What other elective are recommended? Any input would be appreciated.

Gastroenterology.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do rotations in things you are interested in. Last chance to experience different fields. Don't do things just because you think they'll help you in path.

Are you allowed to do an "Independent study" month? Vacation is nice.

I was considering suggesting a surg rotation, but I like lipomas' and yaah's suggestions better. Really, your residency will prepare you. If you're trying to get into path, those couple of electives in path will help you on your way. So unless you already have a subspecialty plan and are super eager to get a step up, just do whatever you can wrangle that sounds fun &/or interesting.

Emergency medicine is a great rotation, and you should consider an elective unless it is already a required rotation. First, you can see how stat lab results need to be delivered. Second, you are a physician and may need to urgently deliver medical (on the plane, arriving at the scene of an accident etc.). Third, you learn practical, hands on skills that will assist you later, such as how to remove a foreign body quickly.

I did dermatology as an elective for my last month of med school. It was a great month. But I will admit that I am a dermpath nerd, so take this with a grain of salt. It was nice to get familiar with common skin lesions though. Friends and family always want you to look at something on their skin!