Medical What other schools should I apply/ How do I make my application stronger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

This is my first post here. I am focused on schools with specialized surgical programs, however am open to any and all schools available. My current list includes the top surgery schools. I am not familiar with the other tier schools so am looking to expand my comprehensive list.

My preferred school is Johns Hopkins as I have been working as a research assistant for a year in the pathology lab and have developed many relationships and familiarity with the campus.

The guidance I seek here is to strengthen the viability and impact of my application, any directive would be appreciated.

Also please send any recommendations for additional schools you all feel would be in alignment with my application.

Thank you.

3.7 cGPA,
3.6 sGPA
514 MCAT (127/130/129/128)

Texas resident
ORM Indian Female

Clinical Experience:

• Volunteer at a clinic for the uninsured (100 hrs)
  • Shadowing doctors of different specialties (225hrs) (Phlebotomy:75, Surgery:75, Neuroscience:75)

Research Experience:
  • Research Assistant at a Medical School (+1600 hrs)
  • Coathur of pathology paper in process of being published

Non-Clinical Volunteering:
  • Class Leader advising incoming freshman during their first semester (160 hrs)

Other ECs:
  • International study experiences co-locating in Spain, Japan, Cuba (+1000 hrs)

Hobbies:
  • Figure skating
  • Ballroom Dancing
  • Archery

Honors/Awards:
  • Guest Speaker at research seminar at college explaining summer research at Johns Hopkins
  • Selected to represent the team and showcase research poster in a science conference at college.
  • Recipient of Presidential Scholarship and Academic Merit Scholarship College
  • Dean’s List multiple semesters
  • Won State Academic Decathlon championship in high school
  • Received first in state at Forensic Medicine award at Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA), competition
  • Awarded 1st in Dallas adult figure skating competition

Work Experience:
  • Resident Assistant for upperclassmen(600 hrs)
  • Enrollment Call center agent (200 hrs)
  • Non-profit organization Grant Writer (200 hrs)
Current School List:
  • Stanford University
  • Mayo Clinic School of Medicine (Alix)
  • University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
  • Johns Hopkins University
  • Duke
  • University of Michigan--Ann Arbor
  • University of Pittsburgh
  • Yale University
  • Boston University
  • Emory University
  • Ohio State University
  • Cornell University (Weill)
  • Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
  • Baylor College of Medicine
  • Harvard
  • University of Wisconsin--Madison
  • University of California--Los Angeles (Geffen)
  • University of Maryland
  • Case Western Reserve University
First get into medical school, then worry about residency.

Every school on your list except UTSW and Baylor is a donation because they know from historical norms that you're more likely to go to med school in TX.

Texans that leave TX tend to be superstars.

Your ECs are very weak. Your research will not make up for them.

Members don't see this ad.

I suppose with your home school at Hopkins you may have a decent shot, but I don't know about how your metrics line up with their metrics (I think your MCAT is lower than desired, maybe your sGPA too). Absolutely your least expensive and best shot is going to be going to TMDSAS schools. Hopkins should have prehealth advisors who can help you with that.

Also, while your high school accomplishments are admirable, they're not going to mean much for a medical school application.

Status
Not open for further replies.