What part of this process do you hate the most?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What sucks most about applying to med school?

• Writing that personal statement. (Check those commas.)

Votes: 15 8.0%
  • Getting and waiting for recommendations. (How many times do I need to email my prof.?)

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • The interview. (Don't drool.)

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • The cost. (Mucho dinero.)

Votes: 17 9.0%
  • Taking the damn MCAT. (Kinda hard isn't it?)

Votes: 42 22.3%
  • Racking up extracurriculars. (Who else started a cancer clinic?)

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • The waiting. Period. (verifications, certifications, etc.)

Votes: 65 34.6%
  • Filling out AMCAS. (That's a lot of typing.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Filling out the secondaries. (All those essays and dumb questions.)

Votes: 27 14.4%

• Total voters

monopolova

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Share your thoughts!! I hate the waiting. Definately the waiting. Hate it. Gah.

Members don't see this ad.

monopolova said:
Share your thoughts!! I hate the waiting. Definately the waiting. Hate it. Gah.

I'll second the waiting, plus writing all the shameless essays about how wonderful I am...

from what I remember of it, waiting.

'the waiting is the hardest part'
tom petty :)

Members don't see this ad :)
the swiping of the credit card part.....more kd for me! :(

more people vote!
i say secondaries, because i have so many i can't wait.
i'll change my vote soon (if i can still afford the internet after paying all the secondaries).

so far cost lead.....we a bunch of brokeasses :laugh:

mine's definitely the MCAT. i think it is giving me an ulcer. i'm so worried it is going to keep me out of school & i'll have to take it again in april :scared:
i'm sure once the MCAT is out of the way it will be the waiting. i'm terribly impatient!

scuba, i'll give you some advice....its not so much about the material as how you read the questions. most of the answers can be found from the passage, but its just how you look at the questions and understand what its asking you thats tricky. if you are at a test prep, definately look at answers and see why the right answer is teh right answer. and practice verbal!!!!!! :scared:

starting from august, do real mcats from aamc if you can.

most important of all, carefully read the wording of the questions to pinpoint what the emphasis is.

good luck!!! :luck:

wends said:
scuba, i'll give you some advice....its not so much about the material as how you read the questions. most of the answers can be found from the passage, but its just how you look at the questions and understand what its asking you thats tricky. if you are at a test prep, definately look at answers and see why the right answer is teh right answer. and practice verbal!!!!!! :scared:

starting from august, do real mcats from aamc if you can.

most important of all, carefully read the wording of the questions to pinpoint what the emphasis is.

good luck!!! :luck:

muchas gracias wends.....do you think this works for PS too? that is where i am truly weak..... :(

Scubadoc said:
muchas gracias wends.....do you think this works for PS too? that is where i am truly weak..... :(
problems, problems, problems!!! more, more, more!!! Stop reading about PS and just DO PS!! If your in PrincetonReview, do EVERYTHING in their problem set book TWICE! If you're not in PR, get the EK pratice book and do the same!

$0.02

edit: don't waste your time with kaplan PS problem sets.

great thread, by the way. just shows how many different, challenging processes there are to getting in.

Members don't see this ad :)
my key letter writer was late with almost everything

Here's one you can add to your poll: rejection!

Interviews were by far the worst part for me. You should do this poll around december because right now all you guys are doing is filling out secondaries and waiting for invites. Of course the waiting will be the highest.

The cost of this whole process just hurts me... :mad:

The wait...NO CONTEST...

i almost gave up when i realized there was no option for "everything. it all sucks. i already jumped through 1000 freakin hoops with 1000 left to go. i hate the universe."

but then i just chose the "secondaries" option. :thumbdown:

Waiting to get my mcat scores back was the worst. I had reoccuring nightmares about scoring a 21. :eek:

Oh yeah, studying three hours a day all summer long, commuting twice a week for kaplan on a 140 mile round trip, working 20 hours a week and taking gen chem II all at the same time in preps for the mcat frickin sucked hard core too. Far worse than the actual test day.

My vote goes to the MCAT. Damn verbal section. :mad:

I can't believe people are not putting the cost of applications. Just goes to show how well funded people on this website are. The MCAT is not that big a deal (basic test of reading and the sciences) and the waiting periods are next to nill if you prepare ahead of time.

Peterock said:
I can't believe people are not putting the cost of applications. Just goes to show how well funded people on this website are. The MCAT is not that big a deal (basic test of reading and the sciences) and the waiting periods are next to nill if you prepare ahead of time.

MCAT not a big deal?! :confused: It was the last time I checked.

Let's just face it...the whole darn process from start to finish is pain in the buttocks. I felt like it chewed me up and spit me back out with empty pockets.

Violinrose said:
MCAT not a big deal?! :confused: It was the last time I checked.

Let's just face it...the whole darn process from start to finish is pain in the buttocks. I felt like it chewed me up and spit me back out with empty pockets.

It's difficulty is highly overrated.

Gotta be the MCAT...especially if you've taken it more than once. :eek:

Getting in early, but having to keep it to yourself for months because you don't want any of your friends to feel bad. :(

BubbleBobble said:
Getting in early, but having to keep it to yourself for months because you don't want any of your friends to feel bad. :(
LOL!
What kind of problem is that?
You know... I agree... I personally have trouble keeping my 13in penis to myself too. I hate to say anything about it b/c I don't want to make my friends feel bad.

BubbleBobble said:

Wow, you really hit it on the money! Friends, family, classmates, everyone!

I selected "the interview," but that wasn't really it. It was travelling for the interviews that wore me down.

Peterock said:
LOL!
You know... I agree... I personally have trouble keeping my 13in penis to myself too. I hate to say anything about it b/c I don't want to make my friends feel bad.

LOL.... :laugh: .....seriously though, IMO, cost is not even a factor. Hek, we're all gonna be up to our neck's in debt soon, so what difference does a few extra k's make. MCAT is a much bigger problem.

I love how no one has chosen primaries. And yet we complained so much when filling them out ... :D

Peterock said:
LOL!

Haha, funny!

monopolova said:
I love how no one has chosen primaries. And yet we complained so much when filling them out ... :D

I feel kinda lucky to be filling them out. It's not that big a deal after all the "practice" from the primary, MCAT, classes, etc.

MCAT ruined four months of my life. No partying, my diet sucked, no time for exercise, and all those other classes. Then the waiting afterwards. The MCAT sucks.

I know someone who mis-bubbled on their MCAT. I had nightmares about this leading up to the test. That said, I think the waiting is the worst part.

Although I initially voted for secondaries, I'm mentally changing my vote to the cost. Heck, I'll waste time writing dumb essays or taking dumb tests or whatever they want. Just don't make me file Chapter 11.

Cost for sure! I'll get my secondaries in as soon as the financial aid comes in (or now for the ones that let you use plastic!).