Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

What PDA do you suggest please?

Discussion in 'Tech: Medical Apps, iOS, Android, medical devices' started by drofgas, Apr 10, 2007.

1. drofgas

drofgas ASA Member

Attending Physician
    Hello there dear colleagues,
    I wanted to ask you which PDA do you suggest? I can't wait to have Washington, 5 minute consult and all that other wonderful stuff in my pocket, so close at hand! I am so lost in the sea of information about these gadgets, and I don't want to either underdo it or overdo it, so would you be so kind as to give me some input!

Thank you very much and best of luck to everyone!

Happy internship or residency to all of us!
    A.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Moving to the Tech forum...

4. MBK2003

MBK2003 Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Palm Treo 700p. It's a phone, it's a PDA. I can do everything with one device and it fits in my pocket. It's also functional without the extra data plan, but if you can afford the data plan, you can check emails and surf the web surreptitiously during those long medicine rounds.

5. CmePaddlin

CmePaddlin Deciding the next step...

Non-Student
    Love my Palm TX. Its quick, it gets the job done, and you can pop in a 2 GB card for music, iSilo of Netters, and tons of programs.
    Very reliable too, only crashed a couple times cuz I tried to run PalmOS 3.5 software on a PalmOS 5.4.xx handheld. Other than that, never had a problem.
    Battery can last for well over a week on a charge if you dont use it every single minute.

6. blackbird03

blackbird03 Senior Member

Can u also receives pages from ur palm? I'm looking for a PDA/smartphone that can allow me to redirect text pages from my current pager to my phone, is that possible?

Thanx

7. Blue Dog

Blue Dog Fides et ratio.
    Physician Gold Donor SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    You can receive SMS messages, but not traditional alphanumeric pages.

8. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    If you can wait, I would wait until fall or winter to get a new Palm with the new Palm OS that's based on Linux. I think the new PDA's coming out should be pretty nice and will rival Windows Mobile PDA's.

9. crazy_cavalier

crazy_cavalier T3-Weighted

Resident [Any Field]
    I can't wait to see these, it's about time a new pda (read: non-smart phone) came out on the market

But... how do you know it's coming out this winter/fall? Do you have a source for more info?

10. peacefuljourney

peacefuljourney New Member

Medical Student
    So, can you buy just a pda without a phone? I find combo devices usually require sacrifices on both parts. Thx. S-

11. zacky2005

zacky2005 Junior Member

Can it run windows based program?

12. Therapist4Chnge

Therapist4Chnge Neuropsych Ninja Faculty
    Faculty Moderator Emeritus

Psychologist
    Unfortunately they are a dying breed....and the combination is definitely a compromise. I LOVE my Dell Axim x50v. (the 51 is the newest out...though it has be d/c'd) You can find these from 3rd parties, though not Dell anymore. I still think they are the most complete PDA.

-t

13. Blue Dog

Blue Dog Fides et ratio.
    Physician Gold Donor SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Like what? There aren't very many PDA programs out there that aren't available for Palm OS as well as Windows Mobile.

14. Flopotomist

Flopotomist I love the Chicago USPS

Resident [Any Field]
    Are there ANY such devices? I too don't want a phone on my PDA (won't the battery die much faster if you are using your phone all the time? In the hospital I am a student in, there is no reception, so the poor cell phones die trying to send a signal out all day).

15. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

16. DOctorJay

Attending Physician
    you can turn the phone portion off at any time and still have access to the PDA features. you can still find PDA only machines but they are definitely dying off and being less supported in favor of the smartphones.

I just don't see why anyone would want to carry multiple devices anymore. and for those of you complaining about size, dig out your last cellphone or perhaps the one before that and compare it to the smartphones, it's really not that big of a deal.