what percent of step 1 is drawn from M1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chitown82

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i realize much of the knowledge one learns in the second year is derived from a foundation set in the first year classes. i was wondering if anyone can estimate what percent of step 1 comes straight from m1 classes? many people say the m2 year is most imporant, but how "important" is the m1 year and what subjects are most important from the m1 year for step 1?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

chitown82 said:
so i realize much of the knowledge one learns in the second year is derived from a foundation set in the first year classes. i was wondering if anyone can estimate what percent of step 1 comes straight from m1 classes? many people say the m2 year is most imporant, but how "important" is the m1 year and what subjects are most important from the m1 year for step 1?

thanks!

anyone?

chitown82 said:
but how "important" is the m1 year and

what subjects are most important ?

Very

All

What kind of an answer were you looking for? :confused:

Here is an example off the top of my head: You are seeing a tall patient with disproportionately long limbs and Pectus excavatum (pathophys: what disease are you looking at). The patient complains of pain radiating to the back (Path, histo: what happens in people with this disease). You get a CT (Anatomy: what do you see, and where). What drug can you give to this person in the meantime (Pharm: what lowers BP?). The patient need surgery. Instead, he wants to try a Vitamin C therapy recommended by his naturopath. What do you do? (Behavioral: What do you tell the guy?) Patient asks you why he experiences constant lower back pain (neuroanatomy: what happens ?)

While you won't get a question that has all these parts, any individual parts are fair game

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree...the tougher questions typically bridge the traditional subject areas. High-yield M1 subjects to know well (also know related path, pharm, etc.) on my exam were Physiology and Neuroanatomy.

idq1i said:
Very

All

What kind of an answer were you looking for? :confused:

Here is an example off the top of my head: You are seeing a tall patient with disproportionately long limbs and Pectus excavatum (pathophys: what disease are you looking at). The patient complains of pain radiating to the back (Path, histo: what happens in people with this disease). You get a CT (Anatomy: what do you see, and where). What drug can you give to this person in the meantime (Pharm: what lowers BP?). The patient need surgery. Instead, he wants to try a Vitamin C therapy recommended by his naturopath. What do you do? (Behavioral: What do you tell the guy?) Patient asks you why he experiences constant lower back pain (neuroanatomy: what happens ?)

While you won't get a question that has all these parts, any individual parts are fair game

chitown82 said:

thanks!

While most questions stem directly from a pathological process, they will bridge the gap to the first year courses by showing you a slide, a CT, and MRI, or a graph. You'll have to recall the basic principles you learned and apply them to an abnormal process.